PDA

View Full Version : '98 C230 rear deck speakers..replace

unclearty
03-04-2004, 04:53 AM
Can someone tell me the procedure for replacing my rotted rear deck speakers? I was told I have to remove the rear seat upper and lower sections...the lft and rt rear pillar trim panels..the headrests, then slide out the parcel panel ..just to get access to the speakers. Is this correct?? What speakers have people used?

davis449
03-04-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm pretty sure it is. Those damn things are a bitch to get out of there. Seems like all cars with Bose systems or cars that have no Bose but it was an option from the dealer, are a pain in the ass to get out. My 93 SE Maxima was the same way as the Benz. Had to rip out the back seat to get them in/out. Cost me like $400 as I recall.

pnsji
03-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by unclearty
Can someone tell me the procedure for replacing my rotted rear deck speakers? I was told I have to remove the rear seat upper and lower sections...the lft and rt rear pillar trim panels..the headrests, then slide out the parcel panel ..just to get access to the speakers. Is this correct?? What speakers have people used?

The procedure is correct.
Once everything is out, you can see the rear deck(i removed my rear deck speakers already)
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/misc/deck2.jpg

pluggers
03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi there,This is my first post that I think i can contribute too.Ive done this on mine had the rear deck out to fit an LED brake light.I did a detailed HOWTO for taking off the rear deck.You will probably have to register first but Im sure a lot of you already are?It's located at click me (http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4782)

Hope it helps.

Denlasoul
03-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the link. I didnt have to register to read it. :)

unsp0ken
03-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by davis449
I'm pretty sure it is. Those damn things are a bitch to get out of there. Seems like all cars with Bose systems or cars that have no Bose but it was an option from the dealer, are a pain in the ass to get out. My 93 SE Maxima was the same way as the Benz. Had to rip out the back seat to get them in/out. Cost me like $400 as I recall.

Holy cow, 400 bux? I had a pair of infinity references installed for 150.

unsp0ken
03-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by unclearty

When you choose speakers, make sure you keep in mind that the rear speakers are woofers and are wired for bass only and that you tell this to the people who are installing it for you. So you may need to do some rewiring if youre going to replace them with 2 or 3 way speakers. I had this problem when I had my speakers changed due to the blown woofers. When the job was done, everthing sounded garbled and the people who installed it realized that the wiring were for strictly for bass so they had to rewire it. Hope this helps