PDA

View Full Version : K&N Filter question

redc36
03-04-2004, 10:39 AM
just wanted to know quickly the filter which makes ur MAS go bad and check engine light to come up, r u guys refering the CONE filter or to regular drop in. the reason i asked cause my check engine light came up. i put k&n filter maybe like a 1000 miles ago. i still didnt read the code but i reset it by disconnecting the battery and it hasnt come up yet but hey i drove only 5 miles. it might be also my O2 sensor cause my catalytic smells bad after driving hard and i got 98k on my 95 C36.

thanks

Andrew C280
03-04-2004, 10:46 AM
any filter that has oil on will wreck you mass its not worth it for about 5 hp, to my knowlage the regular paper filters do not have any oil on them, i was thinking about useing compressed air to blow off the sensor in my other non working mass air flow and see if that helps

redc36
03-04-2004, 10:51 AM
can i dry it out :p
but i also wanted to add that my gas mileage keeps droping. i am getting like 12-15 miles per gallon.

Andrew C280
03-04-2004, 10:55 AM
when you mass goes it runs rich and yes you gas mileage will go too. i dont think you can do anything other than buy a new one there $$$$ just dont put the k&N back in get a MANN paper filter

I did my mass an new clean air filter and Bosch Platnium 4+ spark plugs and it improved my mileage over the winter now is about 0+/- i cant wait till it gets up to 30 so i can see what my real mileage is

redc36
03-04-2004, 11:05 AM
damn it does it my mas is ruined forever. :(
damn k&n i should sue them

Andrew C280
03-04-2004, 11:07 AM
sorry to be the one to break it to you its going to cost about $500

redc36
03-04-2004, 11:27 AM
well i am taking it out 2day and see what happens if it ever comes back

manny
03-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Andrew C280
sorry to be the one to break it to you its going to cost about $500

Did your MAS go bad, with a K&N ?

Andrew C280
03-04-2004, 12:23 PM
nope not as far as I know the person be for i bought it might have had one in. Just old and poorly made , guys on this forum and other convinced me not to use k&n

manny
03-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Just for your information.
DO NOT use compressed air to clean a MAS!
Get some Electrical Contact Cleaner at any Electronics store & use it.
Next, I wonder how many MAS's have been replaced, for all the wrong reasons, when they could have been cleaned properly?
On the subject of K&N ruining a MAS, the most problems are caused by people over-oiling them, after cleaning.
I have not personally seen a MAS wrecked by the use of a K&N.
;)

Andrew C280
03-04-2004, 02:20 PM
why not compressed air when your running the car is sucking air in, my mass air was replaced because it was broken according to the dealer they said they can not clean it. What is the procedure

Denlasoul
03-04-2004, 02:55 PM
With K&N's, the best thing to do is wash it before you even put it in your airbox, then LIGHTLY mist a layer of oil on the side which comes into contact with the outside air. No need to oil the underside b/c it will just run off and collect on your MAS.

You can clean the MAS (I've used Alcohol) but it will never be as good as brand new. You can also get them much cheaper thatn $500 and its a cinch to install.

Good luck,

PS: I've got dual K&N's in my car and I suspect it may have prematurely worn out the MAS. Keep in mind, my car is a 98 and most likely the original part since day 1.

Andrew C280
03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
there more than $500 Canadian i was being conservative what do they cost in the usa

manny
03-04-2004, 03:05 PM
why not compressed air when your running the car is sucking air in

Yes, the engine is sucking in air @ rate of 1/2 lb.
Compressed air = 140 PSI. See the difference?
A MAS is a very delicate piece of equipment & as such, you want to treat it with extreme respect.
If you spray electrical contact cleaner on the sensing portion of the MAS, it will clean any oily accumulation & then evaporate.
No need to blow air on it. ;)

Andrew C280
03-04-2004, 03:15 PM
sweet i bought a new one a while ago but did not throw out the old one so i will try it on the old one

redc36
03-04-2004, 03:30 PM
well my k&n filter was brand new meaning i didnt not clean it or over oiled. thats how it came from k&n unless u guys believe that k&n overoils they new filters and sends them to customers and expects them to dry it or something.

but hey if we found a fix for MAS sensor by cleaning it i say we saved a lot of money for everyone!!!

i will try that myself tomm or so. i am kinda inclined its my oxygen sensor. would that affect my gas milage that rapidly. i know my cat is going bad for sure because it stinks especially when driving hard and my car is at 98k so i know by oxygen sensor is in byebye mode. now for 95 is it OBD2 so i need two sensors? or one sensor only after the cat?

also if my mas sensor is bad wouldnt check engine light come up right away after reseting? i am trying to eliminate either oxygen or mas since my engine light didnt come on yet,

Denlasoul
03-04-2004, 03:43 PM
there more than $500 Canadian i was being conservative what do they cost in the usa

If I recall correctly, $250usd sounds about right.

manny
03-04-2004, 03:45 PM
If your cat. converter stinks, it usually indicates that it is being over-worked, i.e. has too much fuel going through it.
Now, that could be the direct result of a bad O2 sensor.
I believe a 1995 "C" is OBD II, which means it has 2- O2 sensors, one in front of the cat, the other behind the cat.
I would suspect/replace the one infront of the cat first. ;)

redc36
03-04-2004, 03:52 PM
do u think i did a lot of damage by overworking catalytic converter by flooring it here and there for like a month. i feel bad now. i say good 5 times a stepped out of the car and went like damn its bad. i though i was driving with the handbrake on with all that burnt smell :D

manny
03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
If you don't hear bits & pieces rattling around inside, when you drive over speedbumps, you'll be okay.
It doesn't hurt to " clean it out " once in a while, with a good power-run anyway. ;)

mis-u-jerr
03-05-2004, 10:00 AM
If the MAS goes bad, it is probably a good idea to clean the plugs too. Since it is running too rich, my plugs were black when it went bad...

cyclocross
03-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi, all. I'm still having a tough time understanding the advantage of the K&N, or similar, filter. Sure, they are reusable but there is the problem of over-oiling and the failure rate of MAFs seems to be high when K&Ns are used.

I am also dubious of any performance claims. One of the G35DRIVER.com folks did back-to-back dynos of his G35 with the stock intake filter system and stock (paper) element and the stock intake system and NO filter element. The difference was only 1.5HP. Thus, the performance gain of the K&N should be between 0HP and 1.5HP, not nearly enough to justify the expense. (I used to own a G35. I traded it in on my C43.)

Denlasoul: Using alcohol for cleaning the MAF is a great idea. I use 99% isopropanol to clean my telescope eyepiece lenses. It removes eye lash grease and leaves hardly any residue. Looks perfect for the MAF.

mis-u-jerr
03-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by cyclocross
back-to-back dynos of his G35
maybe it, like an MB, needs time to adapt?