PDA

View Full Version : H&R versus Eibach

redc36
03-05-2004, 03:02 AM
which springs are stiffer
which ones are lower
b/c i am planning to add 18"s and dont wont no gap left but at the same time i dont want them to be too low cause we have huge pot holes here in NY.
also may i keep my stock C36 shocks with new springs? look if 18s with stock springs will loook nice then i will skip the springs but if the gap is there and huge one then i dunno.

03-05-2004, 03:34 AM
as far as lowering, I know that H&R are a little bit lower than Eibach pro-kit, it's about 10mm of difference.

But consider that exist also a lower kit for Eibach, I belive available also for W202.

Regarding stiffening, sorry I do not know.

Hi

fastmayte
03-05-2004, 04:45 AM
u can use spring pads to change the height of the car in small increments till u get the right amount. dealers got these and arent' too exp.

redc36
03-05-2004, 05:16 AM
explain me more about the spring pads. do they raise or lower the car?
how much they go for?

manny
03-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by redc36
explain me more about the spring pads. do they raise or lower the car?
how much they go for?

ALL of your questions can be answered, by simply using " SEARCH ".
So, let your finger do the walking you lazy ass ! :D

cthirtysizzle
03-05-2004, 10:39 AM
What's up red, yeah this has been discussed many many times. H&R = lower drop, I have Eibach Pro Kits, but the pads vary in thickness and I believe they go above the springs. I recently had mine changed to adjust my ride height and I have 18" AMG Monos on my car. Anyways, you can raise or lower you car based on the pad thickness you choose.

jnolte
03-05-2004, 01:55 PM
H&R+ Stiffer, lower, more performance based
Eibach= less stiff, better ride, not as much drop

SLAMMED_C
03-05-2004, 06:57 PM
The H&R kit doesnt drop a 202 that much more!.. it is more but not by much.. I think the Eibach kit is pretty nice, good drop.. nice ride. and when u use #1 pads its a really nice drop!! can u say... tucking?!!

fastmayte
03-05-2004, 07:07 PM
whats the difference between 94-95 and 96-00 springs?

martattack
03-06-2004, 10:19 AM
The 94-95 models used W201 style spring pads, where as the 96+ used W210 style spring pads. The spring pads were a bit different, so they springs are different accordingly. I read you can put 210 style pads on a 94 and used the newer style springs.

manny
03-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by fastmayte
whats the difference between 94-95 and 96-00 springs?

On 94/95 the end of the spring is ground flat, where it seats against the pad.
On 96 +, the coil of the spring just ends, as if you cut it off!
BoominBenz is probably right.
Can't see why you couldn't use the 210 xxxx pads with 96 + springs on a 94/95. ;)

MRP Motorsports
03-07-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by manny
On 94/95 the end of the spring is ground flat, where it seats against the pad.
On 96 +, the coil of the spring just ends, as if you cut it off!
BoominBenz is probably right.
Can't see why you couldn't use the 210 xxxx pads with 96 + springs on a 94/95. ;)

Remeber the newer the model the more cost cutting measures were put in place as Mercedes became Chryslerized!

slam96c36
03-26-2004, 10:05 AM
I agreed with cthirtysizzle I have the same stuff put on my car (silver 96 c36) and so far I love it.

Eibach suspension kit
Eibach Springs
with Tokico Adjustable shocks

I have no gap at all and I am rollin on 18" Monoblock II

But anytime you lower your car doesn't matter where you are, you just have to becareful at all time. That's the price you have to pay for having such a nice ride ;)

Brabus
03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
I have Eibach and if I had a choice again, I'd go H&R. These are too soft.

redc36
03-26-2004, 10:45 AM
maybe i should by h&r and we trade or something. dunno yet. if i get springs i need to change shocks too.

i am also gonna look for euro amg springs
i dont want to be too harsh of a drive cause nyc roads are horrible.

Tump43
03-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I have H&R Sports on mine. When I retained the stock AMG/Bilstein shocks the ride was way too harsh/bouncy. However when I installed the Bilstein Sports w/ Poly shock bushings/stops, the ride improved dramatically. The car is absolutely fantastic on high speed staight runs or wild runs through the twistys.

However, bumps at 40 mph and under are very noticeable and the ride is not nearly as "plush" as some would expect from a Benz. Hell, that's the price to pay for handling. My H&R/Bilstein set up works far better than the AMG stock set-up and gives me a lot more confidence in the corners and it has almost eliminated body roll.

I've heard that Eibach's are a little softer and give a better ride but a Benz performance tuner told me to stick with the H&R's as they will work much better at high speeds.

JAY4
03-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Hey,

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way or anything but......I just bought a set of H&R springs for my '98 C280. Right after I bought them I got a really nice price on an H&R cup kit, so I bought that. Now I am sitting on an extra set of H&R springs that need a good home. I havn't posted them in classifieds yet because my post count isn't high enough. I guess I could post enough B.S. threads, But I'm not going to do that. Anyway I'll post them in another 10 threads or so, but in the meantime if anyone is interested lmk. H&R p# 29749-2, and a link----------------
http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Tump43
I have H&R Sports on mine. When I retained the stock AMG/Bilstein shocks the ride was way too harsh/bouncy. However when I installed the Bilstein Sports w/ Poly shock bushings/stops, the ride improved dramatically. The car is absolutely fantastic on high speed staight runs or wild runs through the twistys.

However, bumps at 40 mph and under are very noticeable and the ride is not nearly as "plush" as some would expect from a Benz. Hell, that's the price to pay for handling. My H&R/Bilstein set up works far better than the AMG stock set-up and gives me a lot more confidence in the corners and it has almost eliminated body roll.

I've heard that Eibach's are a little softer and give a better ride but a Benz performance tuner told me to stick with the H&R's as they will work much better at high speeds. Hey what's up Marc ,It's Carl. I'm trying to decide which shock setup to use HD or Sport(Bilstein),But I'm definitely going to go with the eibach springs.Those h&r springs are so damn harsh,I had them on my eagle Talon .Dropped the car too low and they sag after a while.The coils on the eibach springs are much thicker in comparison so this is why one gets a better ride. I just dont know which shock Hd or sport, or which spring pads to get. PS by the way i just got bac from MD.Perhaps i could come up and see your car this wknd. Talk to you lata!

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
Hey what's up Marc ,It's Carl. I'm trying to decide which shock setup to use HD or Sport(Bilstein),But I'm definitely going to go with the eibach springs.Those h&r springs are so damn harsh,I had them on my eagle Talon .Dropped the car too low and they sag after a while.Put the eibachs on and what a difference.The car still sat almost as low but the ride and handling definitely felt better too me.The coils on the eibach springs are much thicker in comparison so this is why one gets a better ride. I just dont know which shock Hd or sport, or which spring pads to get. PS by the way I just got bac from MD.Perhaps I could come up and see your car this wknd. Talk to you lata!

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 05:28 AM
Hey what's up Marc ,It's Carl. I'm trying to decide which shock setup to use HD or Sport(Bilstein),But I'm definitely going to go with the eibach springs.Those h&r springs are so damn harsh,I had them on my eagle Talon .Dropped the car too low and they sag after a while.Put the eibachs on and what a difference.The car still sat almost as low but the ride and handling definitely felt better too me.The coils on the eibach springs are much thicker in comparison so this is why one gets a better ride. I just dont know which shock Hd or sport, or which spring pads to get. PS by the way I just got bac from MD.Perhaps I could come up and see your car this wknd. Talk to you lata!

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 05:29 AM
oops sorry about the multiples, tried to edit and clicked on Quote by mistake!! Damn!

Rocky
05-18-2004, 09:44 AM
maybe i should by h&r and we trade or something. dunno yet. if i get springs i need to change shocks too.

i am also gonna look for euro amg springs
i dont want to be too harsh of a drive cause nyc roads are horrible.

I have eibach's with Bilstein sports. Rides almost like stock for a C36.

redc36
05-18-2004, 11:24 AM
how safe is it to use spring pads #1 on stock setup for the front? will it wear out quickly. will other components fail quicker.
i am really interested only lowering the front a bit since i am now officially on the budget b/c of other things.

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
I have eibach's with Bilstein sports. Rides almost like stock for a C36. The car should handle alot better though correct? What spring pads r u using?

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 11:33 AM
how safe is it to use spring pads #1 on stock setup for the front? will it wear out quickly. will other components fail quicker.
i am really interested only lowering the front a bit since i am now officially on the budget b/c of other things. Best way to lower car is with springs. No way around it!

Rocky
05-18-2004, 12:06 PM
The car should handle alot better though correct? What spring pads r u using?

Yes it handle better.

Using #3 up front and #2 in the back i believe. The front is tucked a little, the rear is tucked a little more then the front.

But remember this..each car lowers differently no matter if you use the same spring pad combo. That's the whole reason why MB uses spring pads because each car will sit differently even from factory.

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Yes it handle better.

Using #3 up front and #2 in the back i believe. The front is tucked a little, the rear is tucked a little more then the front.

But remember this..each car lowers differently no matter if you use the same spring pad combo. That's the whole reason why MB uses spring pads because each car will sit differently even from factory. Does the bac look like it sits way lower than the front?

Rocky
05-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Does the bac look like it sits way lower than the front?

Yes and no...only slightly. but overall it looks level.

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Yes and no...only slightly. but overall it looks level. would you happen to have a pic? and do you have 17 or 18" rims?

Rocky
05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I have the stock AMG Mono II 17's.
Like I said, just because you use my set up it does not mean you will get the lowering I got. It takes most people two times of swapping spring pads to get the look they want. Each car is different. I got about a 3 inche..little more drop. Some people get less with the same set up.

All MB's coming out of the factory have different spring pads in them. My stock spring pads were like 3 in the front and 4 in the back. I don't remember.

coolcarlskic43
05-18-2004, 12:51 PM
ok well I guess I'll have to try it out.Thanx alot!

Tump43
05-19-2004, 11:08 AM
coolcarlsik43 --

Yeah I might have some free time this weekend. If you lower your car you will need Bilstein Sports (these shocks are valved for less travel and will work much better than stock shocks or HD's). The HD's are designed for the same ride height as stock but with the same hardness as the Sports.