PDA

View Full Version : Nakamichi versus Clarion

cthirtysizzle
03-05-2004, 04:20 PM
So I'm thinking maybe I should go aftermarket... I heard the stock C36 bose system the other day and it didn't sound too good at all. So here's what I'm considering:

Clarion DXZ745MP, Nakamichi CD400, or maybe even one of the OEM Mercedes Audio 10 CD units.

Is it going to be possible to keep my bose amp and speakers with these heads? Also, has anyone tried these with the bose speakers and no other ice?

vas2vas
03-05-2004, 05:04 PM
did you consider a becker monza mp3? I got one and it interphases great with bose audio system...

cthirtysizzle
03-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Yeah I thought about it but I don't really like how they look. So what's up with you and Becker Head units? You seem to be very into Becker Audio!?

cthirtysizzle
03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
I think I'm going to go with the Nakamichi CD400, I like the simple look it has and it's reputation for quality seems to be pretty good too. Anyone have hookups on a good place to buy one?

cthirtysizzle
03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Ok, after reading all the posts on installation and running a head unit to a 97' Bose system I have a few questions...

Paging Mr. Psnji and J Irwan...

Currently I have a Pioneer head unit that doesn't seem to have a hi-lo line converter connected to it. My stock mercedes wiring harness has already been cut and converted to a harness that fits in the Pioneer head unit. I recently bought a mercedes wiring harness and I'm waiting for it to arrive so that I can turn it back to stock wiring. I think I already have the antenna adaptor, so it looks like I'll only need an Audi/VW wire harness and a hi-lo line converter. I'm worried that my Bose amp might be fryed since I didn't have a hi-lo line converter installed, but it doesn't seem to sound bad (let me know how I can tell). So, my questions are:

1. Where do I buy a Peripheral Electronics Hi-Lo Line Converter part# Ven 4.5? Do they sell these at Best Buy or stereo installation shops?

2. Currently my pioneer has a 'hissing noise' that I don't like and I understand that the purpose of the hi-lo line converter is to eliminate the hiss, my question is, are there any recommended settings for the hi-lo line converter to eliminate the hissing with a Nakamichi CD400?

Last question, I promise... :)
3. At the end of one of the threads, it was mentioned that "Guys like pnsji know when to decide when he needs it (hi-lo line converter) or not, because he has the knowledge and he tested before..." So would you say that the Nakamichi CD-400 needs a hi-lo line converter, or is this one the head units that is relatively quiet when it comes to the hissing noise.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice, I know this topic was beaten to death in a couple of threads and I hope I'm not reviving anything that's been mentioned already.

:D

vas2vas
03-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by cthirtysizzle
Yeah I thought about it but I don't really like how they look. So what's up with you and Becker Head units? You seem to be very into Becker Audio!?

well I like the design and functionality....it fits perfect in a mercedes... and if you have bose like me it's a very good option... I like things nice and neat... and if you like to listen to fm stations it has excellent reception... only downside is the price
I'm also very much into alpine, and i installed a full alpine system on my bmw.

ps Nacamichi is an excellent option, only reason I didn't go for it is b/c it does not play mp3s and I would need a hi/lo converter for my 95 system...

cthirtysizzle
03-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I agree with the price being too high on the Becker. I don't really listen to mp3's too much so that doesn't matter to me. Thanks for the advice though.

jnolte
03-06-2004, 03:30 PM
i dont think you should compare the clarion 735 with the Nakamichi Cd400 but the clarion 835 VS the Nakamichi CD400.

The only reason i went clarion was price diffrence and nakamichi cd decks dont always play burned cds (CDR/CDR-W) and all my cds are burned... ;)

cthirtysizzle
03-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
i dont think you should compare the clarion 735 with the Nakamichi Cd400 but the clarion 835 VS the Nakamichi CD400.

The only reason i went clarion was price diffrence and nakamichi cd decks dont always play burned cds (CDR/CDR-W) and all my cds are burned... ;)

So the Nakamichi doesn't play any burned cds!!?? Are you sure? Even stock cd players play my burned cds.

jnolte
03-06-2004, 04:08 PM
So the Nakamichi doesn't play any burned cds!!?? Are you sure? Even stock cd players play my burned cds.

I guess it plays "SOME" burned Cds. WHen i was looking for a Nakamichi almost all the sellers i emailed said some burned cds it will not play.

cthirtysizzle
03-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Hey J, do you know where I can get the filter I mentioned above?

vas2vas
03-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Hey J, do you know where I can get the filter I mentioned above?

here you go...
scroll down the page and you will see it, ven 4.5...

ven 4.5 (http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/loc.asp)

cthirtysizzle
03-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Cool thanks Vas2Vas, I bought one today. I was going to buy the Nak. CD-400 today too, but I guess they're on backorder, anyone wanna sell me theirs?

714guy
03-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
I guess it plays "SOME" burned Cds. WHen i was looking for a Nakamichi almost all the sellers i emailed said some burned cds it will not play.

mine plays all my burned CDs perfectly

vas2vas
03-08-2004, 08:26 AM
hmm cd 400 shold play all audio cdr's... try burning the cdr's at a lower speed, like 16x or 20x for better results....