PDA

View Full Version : Found a little spot of rust, Ahhh

Andrew C280
03-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Hello I am looking for any ideas on how to go about the repair,

After washing all the winter grime of my car I noticed that there is a littel bit of bubbly paint in the center of my driver side door right above my plastic part that divides the bottem of the door from the top, its right in the grove where the plastic meets the door metal, it looks like its been touched up or something since there is big lump under the paint and I dont see the same thing on the other side, in the fall I was in for some paint work on my benz it ended up costing 1000 dollars for a littel spot under the tail light. What should I do repair it or just let it go until I can't bear it any longer, can I do something at home or should I st leave it to the professionals ie. carefully buff it down and then just use a little touch up paint because its in a spot that you can see only i know its there.

benzfan
03-13-2004, 07:19 AM
Andrew,
I have the exact same problem on my car (I'm in the same city of salt as you too). An old body man who used to work for AMG Canada told me it was caused by the constant vibration of the trim strip against the paint (from opening and closing the door mostly). If you take the trim strip off (one screw at the back, then slide the strip toward the back of the car to release) you will probably find that the mounting holes are not affected by rust. This is good. It means that the repair is not too expensive. I was quoted $600 which involved repainting the door and fender to do a proper blend (my rust is near the front of the door).

GuelphC230
03-19-2004, 06:06 PM
same here on passenger side above door
:confused:

Andrew C280
03-19-2004, 06:11 PM
seams like this is a Canadian problem, maybe its our winters ?

benzfan
03-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Absolutely. It was suggested to me that if you do the repair, you thoroughly clean the trin strip, then apply a thin, clear plastic film to the back that will be slightly softer and won't wear through the paint. The ideal would probably be something similar to the film placed on the front of the hood and around the grill on some cars to alleviate stone chipping. The stuff isn't hard, just resilient.

NavalGent
09-09-2005, 06:32 AM
I found a little rust bubble just aft of the rear door on the drivers side. its just tiny, but do you think it would be possible to just sand it down and dab some touch up paint on it (I like conserving money when at all possible). Also, does anyone know where I can get some touch up paint for a benz? I just know Canadian tire doesn't carry it.