PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to fix the problem

C280 JR
03-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Right now im VERY VERY tight on cash, and my brakes are starting to fail progressively over the past couple of dayz, what is the cheapest way to fix the Master Cylinder...

Elvir

JRE320
03-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Why do you need to fix the master cylinder? :confused: :confused:

GDawgC220
03-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
Why do you need to fix the master cylinder? :confused: :confused:

I think he has the same problem as me from a previous post.

The brake pedal would be real touchy and grabby at times and other times, it would have to sink to the bottom to stop the car. I've had this problem for a while now and my SA said it was my master cylinder wearing out from age on the car. Cost around $625. The thing was loosing pressure at times and other times it would not lose pressure.

moebiusgold
03-14-2004, 03:11 AM
I've had good luck on non MB cars whee the brake fluid was neglected by dissasembling the master cylinder. See my "You shouldn't be cheap here" qualifier at the bottom of this post. Also I am assuming that the problem is not the ABS module because I don't know what the failure modes are for it.
There is allways black sludge laying in the bottom of the master cylinder bore if the fluid has been neglected. If there aren't any pits, I just reassemble with the same old parts and flush the entire systemn and good as new. From here on I guarentee no mechanic with worry of liability will perform the repair but if you are a DIY person you might still be able to save the master cylinder. If the fluid is really bad there will be rust on the bore bottom where the piston seal(s) are in the rest postion. If there is rust that a brake cylinder hone won't clean up within a minute or so or there is a deep pit where one of the pistons stops at rest, then it is probably time for a new master cylinder. If you have absolutly no money, I have found that Emory clothing (very fine sand paper) the sharp edges off the pit will work but you might give up some peddle travel as in the seal will have to travel more before it starts making pressure. I have no idea if a rebuild kit is available but at this pont if one is, now would be a good time or if there is any sign of seal wear, even if there were no pits. I qualify all of the above buy saying there are only a couple of things that you should never skimp on unless you or your mechanic really know what they are doing. Brakes are at the top of the list, steering is next, followed by tires and steering. These are all safety items and should be treated with the upmost respect. I would never spend a penny or minute on anything else unless these were all in order. Brakes are cheap compared to accidents or something not performing the way it was intended or you expected. Lives could be a stake here and you will have to live with whatever decision you make.

GDawgC220
03-17-2004, 10:36 AM
just had my car in today for service and had them check out my brakes. They said my brakes were fine, except for the rear pads were sticking a little, so i'm having those replaced ($150 parts and labor). Then I was told that my front rotors and pads were NOT MB parts, but aftermarket. So they think that's what attributing to my weird pedal of being mushy or touchy. They checked the master cylinder and it was fine and was also told that sometimes they do fail, but not usually.

So that's all fine and dandy. going to wait a little on my front brakes as they are still good and have life in them. probably changed at next oil change...they quoted me $525 for front pads and rotors.

pnsji
03-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by C280 JR
Right now im VERY VERY tight on cash, and my brakes are starting to fail progressively over the past couple of dayz, what is the cheapest way to fix the Master Cylinder...

Elvir

sell your car and buy a civic.

C280 JR
03-17-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
sell your car and buy a civic. It is for sale, but id prolly end up getting an A4 1.8T

Elvir

Brabus
03-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by GDawgC220
just had my car in today for service and had them check out my brakes. They said my brakes were fine, except for the rear pads were sticking a little, so i'm having those replaced ($150 parts and labor). Then I was told that my front rotors and pads were NOT MB parts, but aftermarket. So they think that's what attributing to my weird pedal of being mushy or touchy. They checked the master cylinder and it was fine and was also told that sometimes they do fail, but not usually.

So that's all fine and dandy. going to wait a little on my front brakes as they are still good and have life in them. probably changed at next oil change...they quoted me $525 for front pads and rotors.

Those prices are wayyyy too much. Total for 4 pad change is less than $100 in parts and labor can be done yourself :p Changing rotors I dunno... but the parts don't cost more than $75 per front rotor.

Brabus
03-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Mobuis, why don't you write up a full DIY detailing how to do it. That would be awesome!!

Denlasoul
03-17-2004, 01:39 PM
It is for sale, but id prolly end up getting an A4 1.8T

Elvir

Repair on an Audi will be similar to the MB, in terms of cost.

714guy
03-17-2004, 05:15 PM
duct tape always works for me.

C280 JR
03-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Brabus
Mobuis, why don't you write up a full DIY detailing how to do it. That would be awesome!!

Elvir

C280 JR
03-28-2004, 05:33 PM
ok, so what is the average cost for fixing the master cylinder

Elvir

fastmayte
03-28-2004, 07:07 PM
It is for sale, but id prolly end up getting an A4 1.8T

Elvir

AUDI!!!, man take pnsji's advice and get a civic and forget the words DEALER/GAS

AUDI's are worse than benz as reliability goes....