PDA

View Full Version : e55 motor in a w202

jstrat85
03-14-2004, 07:32 PM
can i swap an e55 motor in a 1996 c220? and what are all the things im going to need to get this mod in! about how much u think im going to spend on some thing crazy like this!:D

nokia8860
03-14-2004, 07:37 PM
There were a bunch of guys in the bay area that used an e55 motor to make there own c55. They had to replace most if not everything. And judging by your car being a 96 with the 4 speed you'll have to change out the tranny as well.

Try looking around the old classifieds on the site for their post about how much they were charging to swap in a 55 motor plus parts.

They were also trying to put a slk32 motor in a 202 as well.

Its somewhere about a couple months ago.

Edit:

Looks like they were asking 15k for the engine swap alone with a reprogram of your computer as well. But the tranny would be extra.

So I guess you would figure sine you would need a tranny for your 96 youre looking around 20k and some change to get a c55.

Best bet is to start with a 99 C43 and work up from there.

MRP Motorsports
03-15-2004, 05:11 AM
Donnie at MB Autowerks did the swap for a customers car. It was very expensive! Like buying two C43s or three C36s expensive.

Andrew C280
03-15-2004, 12:00 PM
When my engine goes god for bid. I am going to swap it for a small block chevy maybe 427 that engine will make more power than any mercedes engine avaliable, plus it will cost way less to do that mod and you dont need all the computers and crap. Just out of curiosity in canada we have emissions test how would you get around it since when you take you car in lets say its a C280 with a 5.5l V8 mercedes engine well thats going to blow way more emissions than a C280 inline 6 correct ?

for all you guys that are going to get mad at me for not sticking a mercedes engine back in, well buy that time my car will be old and useless anyway, think about it to, you never going to get it back out of the car anyways why spend more money than the car is worth.

Good luck with your engine swap its going to be really involved and cost lots $$$$$$. But you will have an awesome fast car when its done.

On another topic dose any one know of anyone that dose custom fuel injection tuning on mercedes ?

Brabus
03-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Update: That engine with the 55 here in the Bay Area blew the tranny... so sad...

Also, it was actually from a crashed S55.

Andrew C280
03-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Surprise surprise blew a tranny haaaah that’s my life story was it auto or manua, hey if you going to go through with this take some pictures of the process I would be interested in doing a simmilar project especailly if i can find a nice cheap mercecedes V8

moebiusgold
03-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Donnie Drummonds customer car actually also had a Kleeman SC on it. MB autowerks at the drags 2003 (http://www.mbautowerks.com/1103drag/1103drag.htm)

Andrew C280
03-15-2004, 07:01 PM
nice, what the top speed on that car. its impressive that it could get up 155mph in under 20 seconds i would hope.

SLAMMED_C
03-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Just out of curiosity in canada we have emissions test how would you get around it since when you take you car in lets say its a C280 with a 5.5l V8 mercedes engine well thats going to blow way more emissions than a C280 inline 6 correct ?
To answer this.. there r 2 things u can do... 1st. dont tell anyone what u have under the hood and find someone u can be buddy with that does emissions testing!! and run it like stock! slightly illegal.. or 2nd. u can tell ur insurance company and have to pay more insurance cause your car will be classified as a hotrod (not equipped with motor that was originally in the car) and have to tell the government no doubt too.. dont know what u have to do exactly.. but somehting like that. if u get caught by driveclean with fraudulent paperwork (driveclean test) u may be fined, as well as the testing facility and tester. up to u tho.

jnolte
03-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Just tell em you bought the car and was told by the seller it was a C280 and dident know it had a 55 beast under the hood.,

thats only if u get caught ;)

But dont take my advice, im not the best guy in the world.... :(

Andrew C280
03-15-2004, 07:25 PM
so basically its not going to happen in canada. unless you can change the car to be factory equipted with that engine no one in town will fake an emissions test two guy where already busted for doing 100 fake test or more

moebiusgold
03-15-2004, 08:36 PM
If done properly there is no reason it shouldn't pass a smog test. Have it inspected by the athorities. Tell the insurance co. exactly what you have. Do all the proper upgrades. AMG C55 springs, etc. I plan on doing this exact thing sometime in the not so distant future. Keep your eye out for wrecked E55s and S55s computor, engine, and trans is a good place to start. You should really start off with a '99 C43 because a 99 or 2000 55 swap will be much easier.