PDA

View Full Version : Clear Headlights

Mr C280
03-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Does any one know where i can get clear headlight lenses for my 96 C280 Cause im getting ballasts and bulbs and progectors from my friend and wanna make it look good.
Thanks

nokia8860
03-15-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Mr C280
Does any one know where i can get clear headlight lenses for my 96 C280

Correct me if im wrong but arent headlight lenses on cars clear to allow the light to shine?

Or do you want replacement lens so that it looks brand new? If so check out the Parts Numbers forum on this site. There is a sticky for a number to call to order them from.

MrSpace
03-15-2004, 07:12 AM
well, there is a huge difference between completly clear lenses and the original ones, even brand new

I don't think there is any clear lenses for the W202, I was willing to check for a custom made one from a plastic company here

Etienne

Mr C280
03-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by MrSpace
well, there is a huge difference between completly clear lenses and the original ones, even brand new

I don't think there is any clear lenses for the W202, I was willing to check for a custom made one from a plastic company here

Etienne

What i wanted was crystal clear ones so that once i finish my project it will have hid's progectors and demon eyes

nokia8860
03-15-2004, 07:49 AM
ah....

i know cklasse was trying to get things going on that. but there are currently none on the market right now.

Brabus
03-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I don't think they have a crystal clear one... but you can have them fabricated for a pretty pennie

MrSpace
03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure it's that expensive

but since it's not glass (it's plastic), I dunno how long it would last even with the best quality plastic..

but thinking of it, many headlights are in plastic so it shouldn't be that bad

Etienne

Mr C280
03-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks Guys!!!!

Do you Know Where I Can Make the Lenses??

Also Soon will Come the Pictures Of the Beginning of My CArs transformation.....

Lowering 1.5'' front and 1.4'' rear
Billstein HD Shocks
Remus Catback
Cold Air intake

Want Lots More!!!

Gimme Ideas Please
Pictures Are Good

Zeljko
03-18-2004, 12:36 AM
have you seen this one? it kind off looks like its got clear lenseshttp://www.mbnz.org/gallery/goto.asp?id=7933

jstrat85
04-13-2004, 07:08 PM
can you take a c;oser pic of your lens?

Kühl Carbon
04-13-2004, 09:17 PM
What you are talking about is the difference between the old style "lens optics" and the new style "reflector optics" headlamp housing. In the old days, facets were molded into the lens to steer the light and focus it so it could be used. That is why all those little lines are there.

With the new technology, the reflector (the shiny silver part inside the housing) is shaped so that it manipulates the light, hence the name "reflector optics".

Unfortunately, the lens and reflector are designed to work together as a team. You can swap out the lens for a clear one, but your light performance will suffer. Don't expect them to be overly useful at night.

If you are just going for looks or want to show your car, it is doable, but you may be better off sanding the lines off of an old lens with fine sand paper and buffing it out to a nice shine. The lines are on the inside but are not that deep. I am sure you could find a professional to do this if you are not comfortable. I suggest using a spare set of lenses, either new or used. They are quite cheap and redily available.

Zeljko
04-14-2004, 01:17 AM
can you take a c;oser pic of your lens?

thats not my car allthough its the same color , i found the pic on mbnz.org

crazy00c230k
04-14-2004, 10:08 AM
if hes getting projectors isnt it ok to not have the lines on the headlight?, cuz the projector is what makes the beam pattern not the lines?, thats what i always thought....correct me if im wrong though

Kühl Carbon
04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
While I read the word "projector" too, what I think we are talikng about is a standard HID conversion. You are indeed correct about true projectors, like in the Caddy CTS. All the optics are housed in the projector itself. If that is the case, then indeed a completely clear lens woul have little bearing on light output.

On the other hand, an HID system does indeed rely on the mirrored parabola in the housing, which is quite different than the one used for a halogen bulb, to do it's job in directing light.

My fault, I assumed we were talking HID. It would be difficult, but not impossible to custom construct a projector system for a W202. It would have to be a labor of love as it would be quite costly and time consuming, hence, my assumption about HID.

crazy00c230k
04-14-2004, 01:57 PM
ic....yeah sorry if i came across like a smart ass....i was just a lil confused

Kühl Carbon
04-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by crazy00c230k
ic....yeah sorry if i came across like a smart ass....i was just a lil confused

You didn't, no worries ... it's the net. You had a valid point as the origonal poster did say "projectors" :) .

choppers_rule
04-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Mine cracked from a rock chip.....I guess I will replace it with the original one since no after market super clear lenses.
Do you know how much they are a piece????
Thank you.

adamt
05-20-2004, 08:46 PM
have had some experience with people installing xenon lamps in cars designed for halogen bulbs. if the inside of the headlamp has a metal cover over the bulb like a 2.3 16v you can install the xenon bulb into the headlamp like the h4. on my c280 i am concidering xenon setup. it would consist of the projector assembly from a car like a bmw 5. you can cut the rear of the headlamp housing off and epoxy the projector assembly on to the rear of the headlamp. i have seen this done on a passat wagon and a dodge ram truck. the cars had headlamps with refracted glass (lines on lens) the light is not as clear as clear glass but it is still xenon.
dunno if this is related, but i just ordered 2 new lenses for 95 c280 for 231.36 shipped from bekkers. thinking of installing xenon headlights.

djdoughboy
03-02-2005, 03:22 PM
can you explain your idae of cutting and epoxy a little better? are you planning on putting the whole refector plus projector in the w202 housing? or just the circle projector piece?