PDA

View Full Version : front wheel doing weird noise

merc_lover
03-16-2004, 04:15 AM
My car has been doing this for a while now and i couldnt find a solution for it in any forum, so i wanted to ask u guys to help me find out what it might be.
ok, the front right wheel when i drive backwards (out of a parking spot, etc) it makes this thump like if the wheel were loose and about to fall, or if the axle were totally loose. this only happens going backwards or hitting any obstacle at an angle with that wheel. i cheched the car twice, once in MB stealer and they thought it was an engine mount ( :mad: ) and obviously it wasnt an engine mount and so wasted somthin like 100 buks. then i checked it myself jacking the car up and wiggling the wheel to see if it was somthin to do with the bearings. but they're ok. then i thought maybe the shock is screwed up so i checked 4 leaks. none.
then did the pushing-the-car-down and-see-if-it-bounces-back method. but it seemed ok.
i hope its somthin to do with the shock so i can once and 4 all go put some konis on! :D
so please tell me any ideas u might have.

btw the car has 55k miles

03-16-2004, 04:33 AM
For your information I had a very annoying noise coming from a front wheel running on potholes or similar bad surfaces. For me it was something related with a bearing or dumber but after maintenance check at MB they dismounted and all was ok.

A clever guy at MB noted that the center cap in the original MB alloy wheel was not MB original and there was a little gap in the wheel hole.

Replaced it with a standard one the noise disappeared!:)

Now I've replaced the wheels with replica 16" but it was a very intersting lesson for me.

Good luck for your investigation.

Bye

indo1
03-16-2004, 06:19 PM
I felt the same way, but it only happens when I want to do sharp U turn. I went to my merc shop, and they said it got something to do with my old ass stock shocks:mad: But thats going to be fix pretty soon, Just score a set of Bilstein sport shocks and H&R springs from BMA, I can't wait till next week to get it installed:D

manny
03-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by indo1
I went to my merc shop

You drive a Mercury ?:rolleyes:

indo1
03-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Merc=Mercedes :o

fastmayte
03-16-2004, 08:02 PM
hey, i got this same prob. started appearing after i replaced my rear brake pads. it onyl happens once in the morning though and seems to be comming from the front right wheel. i just turn up the music. hahaha

merc_lover
03-17-2004, 06:18 AM
THATS EXACTLY HE PROBLEM!!! IN THE MORNINGS SPECIALLY! and on cold days

Originally posted by fastmayte
hey, i got this same prob. started appearing after i replaced my rear brake pads. it onyl happens once in the morning though and seems to be comming from the front right wheel. i just turn up the music. hahaha

vas2vas
03-17-2004, 08:59 AM
hmm the caliber might be sticking on the disk... when was the last time you had your breaks serviced?

slam96c36
03-23-2004, 01:10 PM
i have similar problem with my car too...it make that sound when I turn pretty sharp either forward or backward in cold weather. I don't know if because my car is lower and setting on 18"....my friends told me I can't turn sharp like that do to my car wasn't design for sharp turn.

This is what I have installed
1.) Eibach suspension kit
2.) Eibach adjustable shocks
3.) ridding on 18" AMG Monoblock II
4.) I also lower it.....

I haven't fix the problem yet...cause I don't know how and what causes...

merc_lover
03-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by vas2vas
hmm the caliber might be sticking on the disk... when was the last time you had your breaks serviced?

i changed discs and pads less than 5000 miles ago. it did that noise before they were changed.

fastmayte
03-23-2004, 07:21 PM
hey, did they use the CALIPER greese when installing the pads. might help.

merc_lover
03-24-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by fastmayte
hey, did they use the CALIPER greese when installing the pads. might help.
dunno... anyways.. lack of caliper grase should not cause this feeling when reversing or doing into potholes

RR58
03-28-2004, 11:12 AM
check this :

maybe its the trouble

http://www.autrio.de/ebay2/Auction_Image1_002_00038.jpg

sph17
03-28-2004, 12:49 PM
The parking brake in my old W123 was a drum brake inside my rear calliper. In essesence the rear calliper was both a disk for the disk pads and a drum for the rear brake drum pads. The rear drum/parking brake was adjusted from the cable that went back from the parking brake in the car, back to the rear brakes.

I am just wondering if our W202 has the same parking brake, and if some looseness in the bands could be causing this. Cars that have drum brakes have a self adjustment that works when you apply the brakes when backing up, but I don't think this self adjusment is in the MB parking brakes.

merc_lover
03-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by RR58
check this :

maybe its the trouble

http://www.autrio.de/ebay2/Auction_Image1_002_00038.jpg

Thats the steering linkage right? it goes between the steering arm and the wheel right?
how can i test to see if it is that?

RR58
03-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by merc_lover
Thats the steering linkage right? it goes between the steering arm and the wheel right?
how can i test to see if it is that?

it´s the lower linkage of the wheel suspension. to check this, you have to hoist your car untill the wheel turns free. bring an handle bar underneath the wheel und give short but hard movements upwards. maybe you will hear that noise. otherwise check with your fingertips the lower and upper part of the linkage while moving. is there any slackness, change it.

Ralf

Rocky
03-29-2004, 08:21 AM
That is a picture of the ball joint.

And yes, the thump you hear while reversing is the ball joint. Dealer replaced it once for me under warranty witht he decription of 'clunking' noise on the invoive. Ball joints are a very common problem on w202's and E36's. They don't usually last long either. It's almost a regular interval service item I believe. After the dealership changed them..car was stiff and nice over bump..few onths later...clunk clunk clunk.

merc_lover
03-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
That is a picture of the ball joint.

And yes, the thump you hear while reversing is the ball joint. Dealer replaced it once for me under warranty witht he decription of 'clunking' noise on the invoive. Ball joints are a very common problem on w202's and E36's. They don't usually last long either. It's almost a regular interval service item I believe. After the dealership changed them..car was stiff and nice over bump..few onths later...clunk clunk clunk.

That sounds like the problem is there then! thanks! ill check it right now. btw does anyone knoe how much this piece costs at the stealer?
thanks alot guys!

RR58
03-29-2004, 11:47 AM
That sounds like the problem is there then! thanks! ill check it right now. btw does anyone knoe how much this piece costs at the stealer?
thanks alot guys!

BALLJOINT.... yepp, thats the word. Sometimes it´s hard for me to find the right translation.

Ralf

WLeg
03-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Well, we call them the Front Ball Joint !1 God knows what you Yanks call them though !!!! - easy to replace

merc_lover
03-30-2004, 05:29 AM
hey, i checked the ball joints this morning. there are three. two are for the wheel to rotate and the other one is from the steering. i checked all of them but found nothing strange except the ball joint from the steering which was kinda loose (i.e. it wobbles). anyways. none of these looked similar to the one RR58 showed in his pic... they are a bit smaller IMO. anyways, i tok a picture of the whole thing. please tell me which one is the ball joint u mean might cause the weird noise. thanks
edit: im just trying to imagine how this thing would move, when going backwards and braking, it sounds like if something wasnt tight enough. i guess it might be the lower ball joint (the dotted circle)
http://perso.wanadoo.es/w202/ball_joint.jpg

merc_lover
03-31-2004, 12:07 PM
anyone?

RR58
03-31-2004, 12:27 PM
hey, i checked the ball joints this morning. there are three. two are for the wheel to rotate and the other one is from the steering. i checked all of them but found nothing strange except the ball joint from the steering which was kinda loose (i.e. it wobbles). anyways. none of these looked similar to the one RR58 showed in his pic... they are a bit smaller IMO. anyways, i tok a picture of the whole thing. please tell me which one is the ball joint u mean might cause the weird noise. thanks
edit: im just trying to imagine how this thing would move, when going backwards and braking, it sounds like if something wasnt tight enough. i guess it might be the lower ball joint (the dotted circle)

if the ball joint from the steering is loose, it´s mabye the troublemaker

ralf

RR58
03-31-2004, 12:40 PM

btw the the ball joint i meant is the lower one, that in your doted circle

RR58
03-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by WLeg
Well, we call them the Front Ball Joint !1 God knows what you Yanks call them though !!!! - easy to replace

we call it "Traggelenk" :D

RR58
04-03-2004, 05:16 AM
anyone?

no feedback??