PDA

View Full Version : Alarm causing starting problems?

jbisschoff
03-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi great forum!
I have a 1997 c180 with standard flip key alarm system.
This morning when trying to start the car the doors locked automatically(scary) and the red and green lights on the rear-view mirror flashes red,green,red,green etc.
The car refuse to start.
Any ideas??

thx
Johann

Renn 208
03-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jbisschoff
Hi great forum!
I have a 1997 c180 with standard flip key alarm system.
This morning when trying to start the car the doors locked automatically(scary) and the red and green lights on the rear-view mirror flashes red,green,red,green etc.
The car refuse to start.
Any ideas??

thx
Johann

So this only happened when you put the key in the ignition and turned it? It's either your key, or the alarm bezel in the ignition.

Have you had this happen repeatedly? Can you try another key to see if it has the same effect?

Welcome to the forum! Hope we can help you.

jbisschoff
03-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Yes it only happens when I turn the key.I have tried my spare key but it does the same.This is the first time ever in years (117 500 miles) that the car is not starting.Stopped and started it yesterday at least 5 times without any problems during the day. And this morning it is not working.
I was jump starting my other car 2 days ago.But after that I had no problems untill this morning.

GDawgC220
03-19-2004, 05:55 AM
I had a problem with my alarm system a few years ago. The computer went whack (was installed by dealership when we bought the car, but not a MB alarm, was made by Clifford) and prevented me from starting the car. The computer thought the alarm had been set off and killed the ignition. Had to have it towed to the dealer and they had to rip out the alarm system. All was well again.

I'm guessing something similar is happening to you where the computer either doesn't recognize the key or the computer is just going crazy and thinks your a theft and won't let you start the car.

Andrew C280
03-19-2004, 06:50 AM
few things you might want to check;

first that any lights that come on when opeing the door ie;
pannel in the front by the mirror and the rear light in the back seat are working properly ie they come on when the door is opened.
next look in the trunk and make shure the button located right beside the lock mechanism on the trunk lid is not jammed and the light should come on in the trunk.
then go around to all the doors and beside the latching machanism on the car there should be a push button simmilar to the one on the trunk only bigger there is one on each door.
then go to the hood of you car and check that the button same as the trunk is working properly
finally replace the fuses.

most of the time its one of these devices that has failed and is causeing a drain and then the car cant determin weather its been broken into or not so it turns on the imoblizer. behind the key tumbler there is a coil around that reconizes the key when its being inserted and if it can't pic up the signal ie the battery in your "Clicker remote thingy" might need relplacing.

if you cant figure it out i would try removing the alarm fuse and starting the car, i am not to shure if the fuse blows on the alarm system if the car will start but is worth a try.

other wise it sound like an alarm module failure or some kind of computer thing you should take it to the dealer and be prepaired to give them $$$$$$$$ to fix this unless you have some kinda warrenty ?

jbisschoff
03-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all the advice.1 day later I locked and opened the car 4 times. And it started fine!
Wonder if it wasn't dampness that got it in my trunk when I jump started my other car and caused some havoc with the electronics.

davis449
03-24-2004, 08:21 AM
I had the same problem with mine about a year and a half ago. They uninstalled the "aftermarket" keyless entry (not alarm) they put on it and it started fine after that, that is until the MAS went but that's a whole other story. I went and had an aftermarket alarm, as mine did not come with a factory one, installed and it works great.