PDA

View Full Version : Tranny leaking! :(

Dr. ///AMG
03-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Ok so the tranny is leaking "up front" and somewhere else.

Homies said they need to pull the tranny off to get to the seal and fix it. They want $1k.

They say they dont need to tear it open all the way however.

So my question is...what to do now....if they're gonna pull it down to fix that, should there be some preventive maintenance to be done on the tranny?

And 1k for it..ain't that a bit much?

Car be '99 C280 w/ some 80k miles.

martattack
03-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Try taking it to another shop to get a quote. If it's leaking from the front, then it could very well be the input shaft seal or a torque converter seal which would require you to remove the transmission. $1000 still seems like a bit much though.

moebiusgold
03-21-2004, 03:50 AM
Input shaft seal for Manual Trans, TC seal for Auto Trans. $1K is way too much. If it has lots of miles I'd consider having it "overhauled", especially if it is the eletronic version.

mbc36amg
03-21-2004, 07:08 AM
If the gearbox is leaking in the front, it's probably the 2 rubber sealings on the electrical connector, that's the case in most of this gearboxes (722.6).

These sealings is changed pretty easy with the tranny still in the car.

In 98 of 100 this is where it's leaking.

So take it to someone else for a second opinion.

JRE320
03-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Since they're gonna pull it down might as well change your head gasket, valve cover gasket so you don't have to do it in the future. Do it once and do it right. ;)

Dr. ///AMG
03-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll take it to the shop sometimes this week.

Brabus
03-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Whoa man... this one's gonna rack up the bill :(

Rocky
03-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Brabus
Whoa man... this one's gonna rack up the bill :(

Don't worry, Doc's gonna find some mexicans to do the job hehehe...did i use that term right?

Dr. ///AMG
03-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
Don't worry, Doc's gonna find some mexicans to do the job hehehe...did i use that term right? werd lol

Tequila P
04-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Dr. ///AMG

So my question is...what to do now....

next time when you get a 'used' car get certified pre-owned so if anything goes wrong you can send it back to the dealer

Dr. ///AMG
04-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Ok, went to the stealer. They want $900 and they will replace all the seals on the tranny. For the job they need to take it down.

Also, if anyone 's interested, I got a local indy shop called german auto, who can do a tranny swap w/ a rebuilt tranny for $2800 installed.

Tequila P
04-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Dr. ///AMG
Ok, went to the stealer. They want $900 and they will replace all the seals on the tranny. For the job they need to take it down.

Also, if anyone 's interested, I got a local indy shop called german auto, who can do a tranny swap w/ a rebuilt tranny for $2800 installed.

damn FCUK kimball they suck sheit

try trans king they do a pretty good job on tranny as far as i know and they DO know euro trannies (basically ZF trannies)

Dr. ///AMG
04-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Tequila P

try trans king they do a pretty good job on tranny as far as i know and they DO know euro trannies (basically ZF trannies)
lol you from SLO?

JRE320
04-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Tequila P

do you happen to know how much a brand new tranny cost? :rolleyes: