PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostic code P1700 Upshift delay - switchover valve control

benzdude
03-23-2004, 12:35 PM
My check engine light came on, so I pulled the codes. I got :

DM

P1137 O2S 2 circuit - short
P0141 O2S 2 heater circuit - malfunction
P1700 Upshift delay - switchover valve control

for the first two codes I replaced the rear o2 sensor.

Does anyone know what part needs to be replaced for the P1700 code. Also, where is it located on a 95 c280 and average cost?

thanks,
benzdude

C280 JR
03-23-2004, 12:46 PM
hey i had teh same p1700 code come up on my car..you need to replace your kick down cable, its located somewhere around your transmission...mech told me $400 to fix, but has no effect on......

C280 JR
03-23-2004, 12:47 PM
transmission...its only purpose is when the car is cold to keep it up under higher RPMs to worm it up, but since its not working it still will not harm your car..BTW, i have a 95 C280

Elvir

benzdude
03-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Did replacing the cable fix your problem?

Is "kick down cable" the MB technical name for it?

Do you have a part number (on your invoice)?

How much was it to fix in total? How many labour hours?

Is it possibly a Do-it-yourself job?

thanks for your help.

benzdude.

C280 JR
03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Kick down cable is the actual name for it..i have not fixed it yet because i dont want to, nor do i have money for something insignificant, but i doubt you can do it your self,since mech said it takes about 3 hours to do, and requires getting around the transmission, probably even taking it out, NOT SURE, and the part its self is just about $160 dolars, so total is about $400...dont know part number

Elvir

GDawgC220
03-23-2004, 07:05 PM
i had mine done, except on my RO, it was called "Trans Cable", part number 124-270-22-73. Total cost was $333.50 including labor and parts (the seal, cable and ATF).

benzdude
07-03-2004, 11:45 AM
i found some diagnostic info:

the last code I want to talk about is another strictly M-B code. It is the upshift delay codes P1700 and P1701. These codes would only apply to the mechanically controlled automatic transmissions used before 1996. Those transmissions used a throttle pressure cable (control pressure) for determining shift points under various loading. In order to heat the CAT and reduce the cold running time, Mercedes used an electrically controlled, vacuum-operated bellcrank-type lever action to change the capabilities of the control pressure cable. In other words, when cold, vacuum at the switchover valve is switched to a vacuum chamber at the transmission end of the shift cable. There, the actuator movement changes the effective length of the cable. The common problem here is the diaphragm in the actuator element, but testing is simple.

The first test is to see that vacuum is at the switchover valve when running. Next take the line to the transmission from the switchover valve and apply vacuum. In the common failure, the element won't hold vacuum, and you're done with diagnostics.

If the vacuum element holds vacuum, then you must tee into the line at the element and evaluate the vacuum when cold. If there is vacuum at cold running, and a code is present, then evaluate the shift against the criteria. The element is adjustable on the replacements and the cable is always adjustable. A poorly adjusted shift cable adjustment could make the added shift delay not large enough to satisfy the controller.

redc36
07-03-2004, 12:34 PM
my check engine light just came up.
i went to autozone and they pulled code# P1137
it was listed as fuel air managment system or something like it.

so this is the O2 sensor after catalytic error?
the reason why i am asking is that u had two codes and i only got 1.

can someone please confirm this

benzdude
07-04-2004, 07:55 AM
first I got : P1137 O2S 2 circuit - short. I ignored the problem for a while and got : P0141 O2S 2 heater circuit - malfunction also.

I assume they are related and whether you get both codes depends on how bad the problem is.

I was told that this was the rear o2 sensor, so I finally changed it.