PDA

View Full Version : How to remove steering wheel?

willpower
04-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm swapping out the steering wheel in a few days with a Brabus one from Jon... I know I have to disconnect the battery so that the airbag doesn't go off, but how dow I get the airbag off in the first place and is there anything I should look out for in the process?

btw, I have the sport package wheel, in case that helps. Thanks guys!!

nokia8860
04-01-2004, 06:25 PM
There are two hex bolts you will have to undo to remove the bag. Feel beind the steering wheel and you'll feel two holes.

Once remove the bag comes out after you disconnect the wires.

Then use a large socket (forget the size) and a breaker bar to undo the nut that holds the steering wheel on.

And there ya go.

SLAMMED_C
04-01-2004, 06:46 PM
first you need to remove the airbag.. for that you will need a special torx bit.. I got my from the dealer. part # 126 589 00 10 00 and an adapter to use the bit with a 1/4" drive ratchet. the adapter can be bought from a local tool store no doubt.
loosen the 2 screws on the back of the steering wheel (with steering wheel straight.. one on the left and one on the right side)
disconnect the horn wires, and airbag connection (use a plastic wedge to pop out the connector)
set the airbag aside, with the airbag facing up.
next you need to remove the steering wheel itself, you may need 2 people to do this, you will need a 1/2" drive ratchet, 4-6" extension, and a 10mm hex bit. with someone holding the airbag in the oposite direction to u turning to loosen (this way u dont break the steering lock) but you can do this by yourself, just be careful.
remove the steering wheel, and replace in oposite order with new steering wheel/airbag.
note: torque steering wheel bolt to 90ft lbs, and it may be wise to have someone hold the steering wheel, but it can be done by yourself, again be careful.
airbag bolts are tightened till snug plus a bit more.
As long as you keep the steering wheel dead straight from the start and through the install you will not need to index the steering wheel to the shaft.
hope this helps.

willpower
04-03-2004, 12:30 AM
great!! thanks guys!!

I'm curious about this special torx bit that you talked about... I fit a 3mm allen key in there and it seemed to fit (gotta find a way to turn it)... does this torx bit resemble a 3mm hexagon or is it something totally different?

And when is the crucial time to disconnect the battery (i.e. what exactly will set off the airbag?)... is it before I pull the airbag out of its place or before I disconnect the connector?

TIA again!!

nokia8860
04-03-2004, 07:07 AM
i used a standard allen key and it worked. usally airbags still retain a charge even after you disconnect the battery. but its just best to first disconnect the neg terminal then start with the wheel.

CKlasse
04-03-2004, 07:30 AM
They are not as common but they are available. They are called 'Security Torx Bit.' I bought my set at LOEW'S. :)

Have fun!

Brabus
04-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by nokia8860
i used a standard allen key and it worked. usally airbags still retain a charge even after you disconnect the battery. but its just best to first disconnect the neg terminal then start with the wheel.

Or when Nokia was messin with mine, we didn't disconnect the battery and everything was fine...

SLAMMED_C
04-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Or when Nokia was messin with mine, we didn't disconnect the battery and everything was fine...

Same here.. when I swapped out my steering wheel I didnt disconnect my battery either.. as long as you keep the ignition off.. u should be fine and wont set off any codes. there is always that chance of your airbag blowing.. but I dont think you would have to worry.

willpower
04-05-2004, 07:55 PM
cool, cuz i'm doing the swap in Bellingham, and i don't think i'd be able to stand driving all the way back without music

1SIKBNZ
07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
if i want to completly remove my airbag from the steering wheel will that pose any problems? (sensors, etc?) and do i just follow the steps above and the when its out are there wires that just disconnect? anything else i should know about doing this? thanks!