PDA

View Full Version : Removed Stock Bose Amp and didn't change speakers

Nazrat
04-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Maybe after reading this, someone can help me with my part numbers request in the part numbers forum :)

I recently removed the stock Bose amp in our 95' c280. We had a low volume hissing noise that was hard to diagnose. I had tried replacing the amp, but it tested just fine (in another 95 C280 with Bose, there was no hiss at all). So I bought a Clarion cd player with mp3 playback, aux input, and 2 pre-amp outputs. The plan was to feed the Bose amp with the pre-amp outputs from the Clarion.

That didn't work very well. There wasn't any hiss, but the volume was just too low, and there was a significant popping when changing sources. So I tried feeding it with the speaker outputs. It sounded exactly like the system did when the "factory" headunit was installed. The radio that was in it when we bought it must have been a radio for a non-bose car.

So this past weekend I remove the stock amp and was able to connect the Clarion head unit to the 8 Bose speakers. It sounds VERY nice. The difference between it and the old head unit and Bose amp is remarkable. Now all I want is a "small" subwoofer to give it some decent bass. I might try to make an enclosure to fit into the spare tire.

I did a quicky write-up, and listed the color codes for the wires.

http://www.luddite.net/c280/radio.htm

-Tad

Andrew C280
04-04-2004, 05:28 PM
are you useing an RCA type wire for connection if so you might want to get gold tips they make a big difference with hissing

Nazrat
04-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Now I'm just using the small gauge speaker output wire. The factory amp had hiss with a mercedes head unit. Neither of which had coax, gold tipped connectors, or shielded wire. It doesn't matter now :)

-Tad