PDA

View Full Version : $600 Project, need an input...

indo1
04-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Ok , got some extra money and ended up toying with my car. I took off that ugly cassette holder and made me a custom frame for a monitor, After 2 hours on my garage. now I can watch Ronin in my car:D . My biggest problem is I can not decide which one is better having a burlwood frame or just paint black frame. any input is welcome. The $600 is for Pioneer DVH-P5000mp, harness and monitor. Thanks to Ebay:banana: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=357990
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=357999
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=358001
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=358002
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=358003

indo1
04-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Finally the pictures are working right:mad:

Denlasoul
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Burlwood would be nice if it matched the rest of the wood. Black might work, though. Have you looked in the Member's gallery? Look up Nokia's car, he has a nice set up with a nav screen in his dash...but he has c/f trim. Might give you some ideas.

How do you like the Infinity sub? I was thinking about picking one up.

DLS

Black 1994 C280
04-08-2004, 11:05 AM
I would go black or Zebrano wood

indo1
04-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the input, see.. I was thinking of CF, but I am afraid it does not go well with the rest of the wood trim. And yes this burlwood have different style with stock wood. maybe I just have to try them all. I think I will change the frame to CF next week, and see which one is better.

The Infinity Sub is money well spent. I did not think it will give you so much bass. at first I run a high and low input from my speakers wires, when I have my stock headunit, and the bass was just crazy, then I bought this pioneer and run it with RCA cables, now I can easily adjust the bass the way I want to.

The good thing about this sub, you have perfect spot in the trunk and installation just take you about 20 minutes:p

sorbo
04-08-2004, 12:40 PM
indo1 off topic how does the basslink sound? i have been thinking about getting one. are you still using the stock speakers as well (bose or normal)

that is a very clean install!! looks great! as for the color i would say the zebrano or maybe the color of the shifter knob, to match everything else.

pnsji
04-08-2004, 12:53 PM
If you can find zebrano wood, that would match the rest of the interior nicely :)

714guy
04-08-2004, 03:28 PM
looks nice, but like Pnsji said if you can't find it just do it black.

Brabus
04-08-2004, 04:03 PM
need to match wood or black it out :)

indo1
04-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Well then since Its hard to find a zebrano wood, I am going to black it out:D

indo1 off topic how does the basslink sound? i have been thinking about getting one. are you still using the stock speakers as well (bose or normal)

I still have the stock speakers(non Bose) and it sounds great. Please don't buy this if you expect people outside the car to hear a loud bass, because they can't, unless you open your sunroof and all 4 windows down:D but if you want a deep nice smooth bass inside your car, then this is the one. I watched THE PIANIST DVD on my car, waiting for my wife getting groceries:rolleyes: the other night, it sounds absolutely wonderful.

slam96c36
04-09-2004, 10:20 AM
indo1 nice little project.....I didn't know you work out...nice leg
:p ;)

indo1
04-09-2004, 12:16 PM
indo1 nice little project.....I didn't know you work out...nice leg

Thats my wife's leg:) Next project will be a mini camera on both front bumper and rear bumper, since the car just got lowered, I am afraid I will hit a curb while parking;)

BenzMeister
04-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by sorbo

that is a very clean install!! looks great! as for the color i would say the zebrano or maybe the color of the shifter knob, to match everything else.

I tried a Basslink on the BMW Z3 I had before the Mercedes, it was supposed to be plug and play, well it turned out to be a complex wiring job and when I finally got it hooked up it didn't sound all that good in a roadster, especially with the top down. My 99 C280 has the Bose system and I have to admit its got a good bass response, my son was with me one day and he brought along a techno rock CD, which usually has plenty of bass in the scores and even he was impressed with the bass response. Coming from a 22 year old who has a custom sound system in his Acura with 2 subwoofers I was impressed.

sorbo
04-17-2004, 10:32 AM
BenzMeister I have the bose system now and it does have good bass for what it is, but i want more :D.

Was the complexity of the wiring due to runing it to a stock headunit? or was it something else?

BenzMeister
04-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by sorbo
BenzMeister I have the bose system now and it does have good bass for what it is, but i want more :D.

Was the complexity of the wiring due to runing it to a stock headunit? or was it something else?

Bass for a stock system, It was the complexity of the wiring, when I talked place where I bought it, they told me it was a plug and play, well after it arrived and didn't see a plug and play setup I called customer service and for a 1/2 hour they gave me directions on the wiring, I said hold up FAX me the directions, which they did, but it was really too much for me to handle, so I took it to a local shop who hooked it up and like I said it wasn't that good in the car I had it in.

indo1
04-17-2004, 07:42 PM
I Think Bose and non Bose, The wiring are the same, It is just different on the amp and the speakers. Since you can not use the RCA input to the infinity, because of the stock headunit does not have the RCA output you have to use the high and low input, by tapping the factory speaker wires, in my case, I Tapped the Front doors speakers front and left and rear doors front and left, and All you have to do just plug those wires (provided in the box) to the infinity and run your ground and positive wires to the battery, Voila, you got yourself a deep bass. I think the Bass is really nice, that is my opinion. If I were you, go to the audio store, that sells this Infinity and check out the sound, If you like it then go to Ebay, you can get them brand new for $180, Thats when I got mine, I think it is still a good buy for a nice deep bass:p

If you decided to buy the infinity, shoot me an email if you are having problem with the installation, I would be more than happy to help.

Cheers!

BenzMeister
04-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by indo1
I Think Bose and non Bose, The wiring are the same, It is just different on the amp and the speakers. Since you can not use the RCA input to the infinity, because of the stock headunit does not have the RCA output you have to use the high and low input, by tapping the factory speaker wires, in my case, I Tapped the Front doors speakers front and left and rear doors front and left, and All you have to do just plug those wires (provided in the box) to the infinity and run your ground and positive wires to the battery, Voila, you got yourself a deep bass. I think the Bass is really nice, that is my opinion. If I were you, go to the audio store, that sells this Infinity and check out the sound, If you like it then go to Ebay, you can get them brand new for $180, Thats when I got mine, I think it is still a good buy for a nice deep bass:p

If you decided to buy the infinity, shoot me an email if you are having problem with the installation, I would be more than happy to help.

I bought from Crutchfield.com, expensive, You mentioned Audio Stores, I have one I have been using for over 10 years, they sell infinity, and they wouldn't sell me one for the Bimmer, they said it was a waste on money, they wanted to sell me a custom set up for a lot more $$, I passed. Anyway, in the Z3 Roadster, with the top up it was OK, with the top down, well you not supposed to play your radio with the top down I was told. It also took up a big chunck of trunk space, Z2' had small trunks. I am going to look at Ebay, if I can get a brand new one for $180, I buy it, I found an Audio shop that does installation only, bring your own equipment and they install, My son bought a sub for his Acura and some new rear speaker, they did a excellent job and it cost him around $100 for the job, which I thought was a fair price.

Cheers!

babycarlsson
04-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by indo1
Well then since Its hard to find a zebrano wood, I am going to black it out:D...
Nice work!

If you still interested, this place sells it http://www.wood-veneers.com/veneer_tones_M-5.htm , and very inexpensive. Many veneers available to match just about any interior.

indo1
04-19-2004, 09:04 PM
If you still interested, this place sells it http://www.wood-veneers.com/veneer_tones_M-5.htm , and very inexpensive. Many veneers available to match just about any interior.

Thank you for the link BABYCARLSSON, This will make the my frame look OEM :p, I wonder if I make more of this frame and sell the frame with the monitor attached, will anybody buy it? All they have to buy is the dvd player or navigation brain;)

babycarlsson
05-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Have you done it yet? Pics?