PDA

View Full Version : my car won't recognize my key

ub_ahn82
04-08-2004, 02:28 PM
this problem started a couple of days ago. when i insert the key in the ignition, i don't hear the clicking sound of the start lock-out disengaging, and the key won't turn... before i had to remove the key and reinsert it a few times until it would recognize. But now it won't work at all... all the buttons on the remote still function properly...

i've checked all the fuses and tried disconnecting the battery for a while...

anyone know what could be causing the problem? thnx in advance...

714guy
04-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ub_ahn82
this problem started a couple of days ago. when i insert the key in the ignition, i don't hear the clicking sound of the start lock-out disengaging, and the key won't turn... before i had to remove the key and reinsert it a few times until it would recognize. But now it won't work at all... all the buttons on the remote still function properly...

i've checked all the fuses and tried disconnecting the battery for a while...

anyone know what could be causing the problem? thnx in advance...

try reprograming it. do a search for 714guy as the user and key, i just did it with my new key i got.

ub_ahn82
04-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by 714guy
try reprograming it. do a search for 714guy as the user and key, i just did it with my new key i got.

hmm... i did the search but i'm not finding anything on reprogramming

audiophile
04-09-2004, 10:30 PM
by any chance do you have any stereo equip. ?

714guy
04-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ub_ahn82
hmm... i did the search but i'm not finding anything on reprogramming

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=398

joboo
04-11-2004, 12:31 PM
My car did the same thing to me a while ago. It was the ignition lock tumbler. Costed me big bucks, they had to drill out the old lock and install new one.

Brabus
04-12-2004, 01:30 PM
So these lock tumblers often fail?? Is it wise to premptively change it??

SLAMMED_C
04-12-2004, 06:41 PM
So these lock tumblers often fail?? Is it wise to premptively change it??
I dont think you need to do anyhting like that.. if its the old style ignition tumbler that uses a mechanical key, you will feel the tumbler starting to get very stiff when putting in or removing key.. thats when yo will have problems.

What year is your car??.. does it have EIS?? you may need a new EIS with problems like your having.. have you tried another remote in the ignition?.. does it still do the same thing?

ub_ahn82
04-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
What year is your car??.. does it have EIS?? you may need a new EIS with problems like your having.. have you tried another remote in the ignition?.. does it still do the same thing?

My car is a '99... if EIS is electronic ignition switch.. then that's definitely my problem... according to my inde mechanic that failed and it's going to cost me big bux to replace.. =(

SLAMMED_C
04-13-2004, 02:32 PM
so out of warranty then?? thats sucks.. yeh the EIS isnt cheap, ur tech will have to order a new EIS and a green key to program the EIS if Im not mistaken, but the green key is only for programming.. you wont be charged for the green key.

jnolte
08-20-2004, 03:44 PM
fuck this

this is happeneing to me right now

cant start car!!

is there any way to get it to start so im not stranded

joboo
08-20-2004, 04:17 PM
nope, I had the same problem and had to tow it in to the dealer. good luck.

jnolte
08-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by joboo
nope, I had the same problem and had to tow it in to the dealer. good luck.

joboo

can you give me some details on the problem of what happened to your car.? i ordered a new IR key and am going to see if the key is the acuall problem.

MR SPACE did you have a problem with your key b4>?

JDoggery
08-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Can anyone post costs associated costs with this and the eis, and or if you had it fixed another way. Did using a different key work. Was it a bad smart key. I have the same problem right now and I can't move the car. Thanks.

jnolte
08-18-2006, 04:41 PM
this happened to me, had to get the car towed and a new EIS ordered, only the dealership can do this repair. THanks to steve for helping me out, but the cost at the dealership is around 700 bucks i think

JDoggery
08-18-2006, 04:47 PM
how much did steve get u the part for? what kind of labor costs were associated with this? was it a pretty quick fix? i am basically stuck with no car. thanks for the help

Originally posted by jnolte
this happened to me, had to get the car towed and a new EIS ordered, only the dealership can do this repair. THanks to steve for helping me out, but the cost at the dealership is around 700 bucks i think