PDA

View Full Version : Led Lights

BenzMeister
04-15-2004, 04:01 AM
Has anyone change out there blinkers in front for LEDS? I bought a couple of LED's for the front blinkers, plus a couple of resistors, my problem is this, on the 99 C280, as you know there are 3 functions, parking light, turn signal and the courteous parking lights. There ar three wire going to the bulb holder, I know brown is ground, one resistor wire goes to ground, now my question is where do I splice in the resistor, to the blinking wire or the parking light wire and if I connect the resistor to one of the two hot wires will the other functions work? Or does it even matter which hot lead I splice into? When I got the LED they barely produced any light, so I bought the resistors, but I am concoerned about splicing first of all and second will this mod work? Many Thanks! If my grammer is off excuse me, as it is early in the morning and my head is in a fog.

nokia8860
04-15-2004, 07:17 AM
I get from the post (that fog is a sticky one aint it :P ) that you are going to replace your standard bulbs with LED. Im not sure what type of LED you bought if you have the ratings please do post. But if they are only a few candles then they would not be bright enough to flash in direct sunlight.

Its best to return thoughs for the brightest LED your shop has then wire them up as blinkers only and disconnect the parking light all together.

This would be pretty cool because the LED respond faster than standards so your blinkers would be more crisp when flashing.

With my work on LED it is my understanding that each LED needs its own resistor. So you may want to consult your electronic shop on how many resistors you will need.

Also just thinking, you will need to make some sort of base for the LED so they can fit in the socket of the corner lamp.

BenzMeister
04-15-2004, 07:21 AM
Interesting they fit perfect, I don't know how many LED's but there are quite a few, I will count them and repost later. Diconnecting the parking lights would not pass state inspection, the courteous lights are not a problem as they aren't checked. I'll get back to the forum later today on some more info I collected about these types of bulbs. THANKS FOR THE INFO!

Andrew C280
04-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Are you talking about makeing these because there allready made and just plug in to the old style bulb socket. i dont understand what the big deal is ? fill me in becaus i was going to buy some.
http://i5.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/52/c0/d4_1_b.JPG

http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/a4/1c/cc_1_b.JPG

http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/8d/6b/4a_1.JPG

there just some examples

nokia8860
04-15-2004, 10:38 AM
I misunderstood. I thought you ment that you purchased individual led and not the the led bulb replacement you purchased.

Since these lights are single purpose they should be used for signal. To pass inspection drill a small hole in your corner light and put a 5w peanut bulb there wired to your parking light.

Thus you will still have your corner light illumiate and your led will blink for signals :)

BenzMeister
04-15-2004, 06:22 PM
equal to a 1157 bulb, and fit the socket like a regular bulb and have 2 contacts on the bottom, the resistors are 6OHM 50Watt, according to the instructions and are supposed to simulate the load of a regular filament with is about a 2 amp load. One wire of the resistor goes to ground, the brown wire and the other goes to one of the black wire, which I tested today and found that one black wire powers the blinker and the parking lights and the other powers those courteous lights for night time parking. With the double contacts on the LED bulbs I figure they can do both functions turn signal and parking.

Comment to Andrew C280, my understanding about any of these LED'S used for blinkers, stop lights, etc, they all need resistor as they draw very little electricity, and when you connect them to the socket you can barely see them day or night, so the need for the resistor. I haven't seen one yet that didn't need a resistor to function properly on our cars. Go here /www.superbrightleds.com
for a good explanation on how these bulbs work, the folks at rallylights.com sent me this site, after I ordered the yellow H1's for my car, which I hope will be here tomorrow.

ryhi
04-16-2004, 10:23 AM
yo benzmeister... did u order the yellowstars? let me know if they are pure yellow and not any of that ion crap...ive been lookin for pure yellow lights for a while...

BenzMeister
04-16-2004, 10:59 AM
H1 for my fogs, got them today and installed, waiting until dark to see how they look and I see. When your open the box, the bulbs are a blue,yellow tint, after I got them installed I turned them on, there yellow alright. tonight will be the test, will post later on. The people are rallylite are real nice and full of great advice, I have been emailing them about my headlights and the best alternatives. The best would be Euro headlights, but I can't afford them now, there $350 a piece, but you get beside the low, high and city light, also self leveling, not that is very cool. They also suggested using 100W H7 with a relay, which as soon as I figure a cost I might order for the lows.

:D