PDA

View Full Version : High mount stop light

Tom Q
04-19-2004, 07:26 AM
My high mount stop light (3rd brake light) isn't as bright as it should. I noticed the other W202's had a bright light when they hit the brakes. I cleaned the lens and my rear glass and replaced the bulb. It had a T4W bulb. I went to PEP boys and replaced it with the same T4W bulb but still the dull brightness. Am I using the right bulb?

tinter101
04-20-2004, 05:03 AM
Tom,

This is too obvious but is your rear window tinted? Even the
slightest bit would cause this difference. Even the difference
between OEM rear glass and aftermarket glass could be enough
to look different. Otherwise refer to the owners manual for
proper bulb rather than what was just in there. That's all I know
about the subject--hope it helps.

Tom Q
04-20-2004, 07:24 AM
My glass is not tinted. Unfortunely, I do not have a manual when I bought the car. I've seached for wattage and found 3 different ones: 4W (which is currently waht I have), dealer says its 5W and Oram/Sylvania has 20W. Would 4W to 5W make a big difference?

Sorry to ask but what do you guys have in your car? Does it shine bright like our 5W brake lights?

BBW
04-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Are you sure you havent seen an LED version?

You said you changed the bulb? the LED version has 12 LED's and is VERY bright

hvmercy
04-26-2004, 02:34 PM
I just replaced mine today. I bought the replacement
bulb from the stealership for $10.43.

K_Sport Driver
03-24-2006, 05:47 PM
bringing back an old thread, but better than starting a new one, right? with all that talk about the LED interiors and tails, what about this? is there an LED that fits perfectly?

rollinrealbig
03-24-2006, 07:00 PM
im thinkin of this -

I have a spoiler so my 3rd brake light isnt visible much,

I want to get a VW style light that hangs on the ceiling panal in the back, and then the hole for the OEM one will get covered with new upolstry.

ill have to make a trip to the yards for a 3rd brake light - they got tons of shit like this and I wont care what car its off of - hey as long as it fits perfectly and works good it will pass with me!

FreeStyler
03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
My car is a 1998 and it has STOCK multiple LED 3rd brake light! I think the updated models all have a multiple LED 3rd brake light.

ricerokets4life
04-08-2006, 06:10 PM
since this a thread for the third brake light, might as well post my woes with mine here -

it seems that there is a gap developing between the 3rd brake light and the rear windshield, causing a lot of rattling on the rear deck when going over uneven surfaces on the road. i noticed that the rubber "gasket" of the brake light no longer contacts the rear windshield since the rear deck isn't properly seated. without ripping out my rear deck, is there any other way to stop this annoying rattling?

JDoggery
04-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
since this a thread for the third brake light, might as well post my woes with mine here -

it seems that there is a gap developing between the 3rd brake light and the rear windshield, causing a lot of rattling on the rear deck when going over uneven surfaces on the road. i noticed that the rubber "gasket" of the brake light no longer contacts the rear windshield since the rear deck isn't properly seated. without ripping out my rear deck, is there any other way to stop this annoying rattling?

take out the brake light and the rear shelf, hehe. i know some put something in there to make it touch again.

Abuimad
04-09-2006, 12:24 AM
the ammount of rattle the 3rd brake light makes in my car is incredible, i tried everything to fix it...nuthing works...

martattack
04-09-2006, 12:51 AM
According to the EPC, 94-95 used a 5 watt bulb, and 1996-1997 used a 21 watt bulb.

EDIT: Oh damn, this thread is waaayyy old. Well for future searches, there's my information.

ricerokets4life
04-09-2006, 10:22 AM
jdoggery, abuimad, boominbenz - not sure if you have a sub in your car anymore (i haven't been here for a while, thats my bad) but i think you could imagine how bad the rattling of the third brake light would be with a sub running

martattack
04-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
jdoggery, abuimad, boominbenz - not sure if you have a sub in your car anymore (i haven't been here for a while, thats my bad) but i think you could imagine how bad the rattling of the third brake light would be with a sub running

You're right, it is pretty terrible rattling, however, I had some carpet foam type stuff laying around and padded the hell out of the inside of it. No more rattles! I did the same thing with the rear deck.

ricerokets4life
04-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
You're right, it is pretty terrible rattling, however, I had some carpet foam type stuff laying around and padded the hell out of the inside of it. No more rattles! I did the same thing with the rear deck.

looks like i have something to do this weekend -_-