PDA

View Full Version : bulb wattage

Tom Q
04-19-2004, 12:41 PM
My high mount stop light (3rd brake light) isn't as bright as it should. I noticed the other W202's had a bright light when they hit the brakes. I cleaned the lens and my rear glass and replaced the bulb. It had a T4W bulb. I went to PEP boys and replaced it with the same T4W bulb but still the dull brightness. Am I using the right bulb?

BenzMeister
04-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Tom Q
My high mount stop light (3rd brake light) isn't as bright as it should. I noticed the other W202's had a bright light when they hit the brakes. I cleaned the lens and my rear glass and replaced the bulb. It had a T4W bulb. I went to PEP boys and replaced it with the same T4W bulb but still the dull brightness. Am I using the right bulb?

Look in your owners manual, it should tell you what watts all outside bulbs are. (the ones you see from the outside). Another possible problem is, the lens itself could be defective. I had a car once that one taillight was not as bright as the other, especially when the brakes were applied. The dealer decided the lens itself was defective, the red plastic color was too "deep" they replaced the lens and both taillights matched in brightness. Go here for specs http://www.sylvania.com/home_us.htm

ryhi
04-19-2004, 04:11 PM
98+ have a LED 3rd brake light....

Tom Q
04-19-2004, 04:24 PM
mine is a 95 C220. I got the car without a manual. I called the dealer and they said it is 5W at $ 13.00 Osram has a halogen bulb 20W for $ 5.00 I have a 4W installed...:confused: