PDA

View Full Version : Need confirmation of diagnosis

slowpoke
04-26-2004, 02:09 AM
hello peeps,

need your expertise on my technician's diagnosis... here goes:

A/C doesn't blow strong even when switched to highest setting and lowest temp. Compressor was replaced already as well as engine wiring harness.

Technician said that the A/C switch panel in the dash could be the problem... is this accurate?

Are there any other causes for this?

My car is a '94 w202... totally stock

thanks in advance

slowpoke

adelaros
04-26-2004, 03:43 AM
It might be the switch or the blower ( under the dash board in the passenger side).

slowpoke
04-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by adelaros
It might be the switch or the blower ( under the dash board in the passenger side).

is this something i could do on my own or do i have to go back to the stealership?

SLAMMED_C
04-26-2004, 07:02 PM
well ur tech better be more sure than might be the problem... thos climate controls arent cheap.. but yeh it can be a possibility.. he has check the system for leaks and to make sure all othe components are functioning correctly??.. then yeah.. its a possibility that the climate controls r F'd up.. it may be something you can do yourself.. but you may... may be better off having it done at the dealership.. unless its very expensive labour rates at the dealership? up to you really... depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

slowpoke
04-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
well ur tech better be more sure than might be the problem... thos climate controls arent cheap.. but yeh it can be a possibility.. he has check the system for leaks and to make sure all othe components are functioning correctly??.. then yeah.. its a possibility that the climate controls r F'd up.. it may be something you can do yourself.. but you may... may be better off having it done at the dealership.. unless its very expensive labour rates at the dealership? up to you really... depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

system has been cleaned and checked, Slammed...the problem started with a worn compressor (which was also replaced, cost me two arms and a leg :( ) also changed the engine wiring harness as it was pretty well worn...

labour rates are ok and I can ask the tech for a discount... my problem is that I wanna know for sure that this is the problem or if the blower is...

i could probably manage to take it apart (I went so far as to buy a Haynes manual for the car :D)

darn, all these repairs are draining my funds for a nicer set of rims :(

guess the A/C is priority since its very warm here in the Philippines

SLAMMED_C
04-27-2004, 06:19 PM
when u change blower speed with the head unit does the blower speed increase and decrease?? does the blower run at all?

slowpoke
04-27-2004, 07:09 PM
when u change blower speed with the head unit does the blower speed increase and decrease?? does the blower run at all?

when i change the blower speed it either doesn't respond or responds but goes back down to minimum setting. the blower does work but usually stays at the lowest setting...

i also noticed that if i drive fast, the blower responds better...

the car has been with me for two days already (since i got it back from the shop) and now there is a humming sound (sometimes with a chirping sound also) coming from the vents presumably from the blower motor.

before i sent it to the shop there was only a chirping sound at the lowest fan setting...there's no chirping sound at number 2 to 4

SLAMMED_C
04-27-2004, 07:19 PM
ok.. so when u put the blower setting on say a higher speed it sometimes goes to that setting but then slows down, or doesnt go to that setting at all.. but it still stays on low..??
well from what u say with that and the chirping noises.. I would maybe say a blower motor and regulator.. maybe the blower motor is seizing up and thats what the noises are.. and the regulator is shot so the speed doesnt adjust... I've seen on some cars that the blower motor will be on a low setting and then will actually speed up by itself, that is usually the blower regulator.. but has sometimes been the heater controls.
its a bit of a gamble.. it could be the blower motor and regulator or it still may be the controls.

slowpoke
04-27-2004, 07:44 PM
ok.. so when u put the blower setting on say a higher speed it sometimes goes to that setting but then slows down, or doesnt go to that setting at all.. but it still stays on low..??

Yup, that's right

well from what u say with that and the chirping noises.. I would maybe say a blower motor and regulator.. maybe the blower motor is seizing up and thats what the noises are.. and the regulator is shot so the speed doesnt adjust... I've seen on some cars that the blower motor will be on a low setting and then will actually speed up by itself, that is usually the blower regulator.. but has sometimes been the heater controls.
its a bit of a gamble.. it could be the blower motor and regulator or it still may be the controls.

great! that would mean that i wouldn't have to change the climate control panel, huh? it costs almost $1,000 here.

will check out my manual and see if i could do it myself... need the part numbers for the blower and regulator though

SLAMMED_C
04-27-2004, 07:59 PM
replacing the blower motor and regulator is easier than the climat controls.. 3 screws to remove passenger underdash panel, depending on your set up.. slide 2 clips and remove blower cover or remove several srews and remove cover. then 4 more screws to remove the blower motor and regulator together.
well these 2 parts being cheaper than a climate control????.. I dont know.. I bet they will run less for sure.. but by how much?? i dont know. I think in can$$$ the blower is about $350.. maybe more.. and the regulator is anywhere from $150-300. dont know what that is in your currency.

slowpoke
04-27-2004, 08:17 PM
replacing the blower motor and regulator is easier than the climat controls.. 3 screws to remove passenger underdash panel, depending on your set up.. slide 2 clips and remove blower cover or remove several srews and remove cover. then 4 more screws to remove the blower motor and regulator together.
well these 2 parts being cheaper than a climate control????.. I dont know.. I bet they will run less for sure.. but by how much?? i dont know. I think in can$$$ the blower is about $350.. maybe more.. and the regulator is anywhere from $150-300. dont know what that is in your currency.

will try it, slammed. thanks :)

yup, a lot cheaper... maybe the blower could be dirty (it is a 10 year old car :) ) i could have the rotor rewound or something...