PDA

View Full Version : wood grain interior needs to go!

tinter101
04-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Has anyone changed out their wood grain interior pieces for the
CF look like on the "sport"? I want to do this mod on my '98 C43.
Are there factory pieces in CF that will replace them? I know it's
not real CF but I still think it would look better than wood grain.
I also thought about having them painted.

nokia8860
04-28-2004, 07:59 PM
There are members here that have swap the wood trim for the carbon look trim.

There is a set for sale in the classifieds or you can get them at your mb parts counter.

Also others have painted them as well.

steponit
04-28-2004, 09:50 PM
really? raise your hand if you painted them.. ive considered that but never had the time to. also thought about making custom brushed aluminum pieces.

jnolte
04-29-2004, 02:37 AM
u wanted CF for the longest time.

BUt everybody i know likes the wood more, now that i look at the interior of my 43 i like the wood, i just got my self a chrome and wood shift knob and it really looks good now, looks very sofisticated. I have the black interior, if i had the 2 tone then CF would be better. ALso if i were to get CF it would have to be real, fake MB cf just dosent cut it, pointless

alhacker
04-29-2004, 04:03 AM
you could get "carbon fiber" vinyl and apply it on ur existing trim, but u have to be very patient and accurate so it could look good. I tried it out with plain white vinyl (my car is white) but I took them of after a couple of days CF looked much better… i also recall a member here did this to his car ...

pierreS
04-29-2004, 04:34 AM
Carbon Fiber was stock in European C43s. You may want to check with importers (like bekkers) but I suspect this could be a very expensive mod.

Agree with jnolte, I also have wood in my black trim C43 and I love the ambiance of my benz...

Denlasoul
04-29-2004, 06:11 AM
i like the wood also. looks timeless, but considering our cars are more performance I can understand the desire for cf.
i wouldnt go aluminum though, reminds me too much of other cars (audi, bmw)

mbsickness
04-29-2004, 09:16 AM
I have a 96 C36 with a black interior and I switched the wood to the "faux" carbon trim in the center consol. I did not change the door and front bow wood though as then it would be too much. I like the look as it ties in with the door posts. I'll try and take a picture tonight.

tinter101
04-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the input so far. I really want to change it because
I do have two-tone interior (blue/black) and the wood just
doesn't fit. Plus this is a show car so people want to see things
different than OEM. I want to see the factory CF before I
get it. Does anyone know what year and model the CF came on?

mbsickness
04-29-2004, 11:12 AM
From what I understand, in the US the CF trim came on the "Sport" models which I think started in 96. There are two different CF trim patterns as well depending on the model year.

nokia8860
04-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by tinter101
Plus this is a show car so people want to see things
different than OEM.

Then you would probably want to stay away from the CF look trim as it comes with all "sport" model 202.

Probably for more of an oohhh factor is to get your standard wood trim laminated in real cf maybe a 2x2 twill if you like that style (I so happen to think twill looks the best but thats another story)

Or even better use your wood parts and make a male mold then turn around and make a female mold out of it then lay down the carbon and attach some points for it to mount in oem location and be even more pimp with real direct cf replacement panels.

I started on this project a few months ago but put it on the back burner for now. There are tons of information on the net to get you started in making your own CF parts.

Paint has been done by my friend jon who had this 202 that seemed to be plastered all over the place. His was painted body colour 744 but for me it was alittle to bright for a black interior.

Another cool idea that I've been trying to get kameraguy to let me do on his car is black birds eye maple. There are so many faux kits for this at your local craft store to make this.

I think for the ultra cool factor the black birds eye would do the trick.

to2image
04-30-2004, 05:48 AM
i have been changing my wood to cf from the 00 sport i love it. the dealer here is wonderful.u first had to find a car with it then use his vin # to order the correct parts.there are alot of options on the air condition piece and the shifter piece but most sports came standard. the vin # i used was wdbha24g7ya837965

MrSpace
04-30-2004, 12:03 PM
I so want to change mine. I have one part that is cracked so I need to change it anyways. Now on the EPC I can find parts for all configurations but it doesn't always state the exact wood type or if it's carbon.

I also tought about doing brushed metal, but since my interior is black and dark grey, I think it would be too bright. Other options seems to take too much time for me now.

I have to check prices at the dealer to see if it's work changing them or I'll go a custom way.

Etienne

nokia8860
04-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by MrSpace
Now on the EPC I can find parts for all configurations but it doesn't always state the exact wood type or if it's carbon.

The cheaper of the 2 is the sport trim :) ... I'm serious too... its so much cheaper to replace the plastic cf junk then it is the real wood.

MrSpace
04-30-2004, 04:41 PM
show me what black bird eye is.. Maybe I'll try that:P

Etienne

nokia8860
04-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by MrSpace
show me what black bird eye is.. Maybe I'll try that:P

Etienne

Look in a W210/W208 they have that as an option.

Also since youre keen on the parts catalog you will notice that the front bow piece from a W208 shares partnumbers from the front bow piece from a W202 ;)

MrSpace
05-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by nokia8860
Look in a W210/W208 they have that as an option.

Also since youre keen on the parts catalog you will notice that the front bow piece from a W208 shares partnumbers from the front bow piece from a W202 ;)

Do you have any pictures of that birds eye finish? Not easy to find since the 208 is now the 209 and 210 is now 211 in the dealerships.

I noticed for the bow piece, there was one for sale here a while ago with a complete fake cf set.

Etienne

mbsickness
05-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Sorry for the delay. Here is a picture of my faux CF.

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/geraldch/C36/CFTrim.jpg

MrSpace
05-03-2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.oberklasse.com/store05/media/sch_2084004_314216_s.jpg

hum, that's nice.. dark wood

Etienne

mike c200
05-09-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by mbsickness
Sorry for the delay. Here is a picture of my faux CF.

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/geraldch/C36/CFTrim.jpg

I got the same set as on the pic for sale.
compleet with door trims, send me a email if you intressed.

Greetingz,

Mike