PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster

BenzMeister
04-29-2004, 12:04 PM
I should have done this first, but after I posted I did a search and found out how to remove by hand. The article also said there are special tools to remove the cluster, can they be used instead of getting underneath and pushing?:) and still tired!

nokia8860
04-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Either way gets the same results. When I first removed my instrument cluster I didnt have the tools and didnt have any wire hangers around to make them so I just undid the lower cover by the pedals, etc... and reached my hand up there and pushed on one side.

As soon as that gave some way I went back up top and just wiggled it till it came free enough to take off the wire harnesses.

Its in there tight by friction so you have to eat some spinach :)

Tom Q
04-29-2004, 06:04 PM
I removed the tweeters on top of the driver's side air vent. Then remove the air vent by removing 2 screws on top. Look through the vent, uper right corner you will see a clip. Push the clip and out goes your vent. You will be able to push the cluster out. It took me 10 minutes to remove the cluster.

Hope this helps.

BenzMeister
04-29-2004, 06:13 PM
I am going to read over all the posting in the morning and if I have the nerve I will try and remove the cluster on Saturday. I hope I am correct in that the relay is up and behind the cluster. I think I will remove the lower cover again and have my son look under there, as he has a strong back and can contort himself into the correct position for this kind of work.

:) Still tired never really woke up today!

nokia8860
04-29-2004, 06:33 PM
The quickest way.. esp if you plan on pulling out your cluster alot is to buy the MB tool or make em out of coat hangers.

I took a picture of the MB tool so you can see how the bend is if you choose to make them yourself.

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/album06/CRW_4486.sized.jpg

To use simply place each hook at the furthers Left and Right portion of the cluster (where the buttons for + - O on the left and H M on the right) with the hooks facing down.

Push in a bit maybe 1 - 1 1/2 inch then rotate the hooks so they face the center of the cluster then gently pull out.

There are little grooves on the side of the instrument cluster where these hooks will grab onto. Once remove you will see these grooves.

If I have a picture of my cluster I'll post it up so you can see the grooves.

BenzMeister
04-30-2004, 04:18 AM
from a eBay store ZDMAK QUALITY TOOLS, they have a bunch of Mercedes tools including radio, panel removers and there prices IMHO are good. Your directions seem simple enough, I probably won't get the tool until next week, I will do a photo step by step, someone suggested I should put some glycerian on the surround so not to scratch. I am going to find some glycerian today and when the tool comes I should be all set. What do you call those little metal pieces that slip over a screw hole to secure the screw when you put it in? I lost one from the lower panel but I forget what they are called?

Thanks to you and everyone that have been so helpful, as I said I hope this is the area it is in, I am going to get my son under the dash tomorrow and take a really good look. I am also going to Mercedes to buy all the bulbs, might as well replace them also.:D

Tom Q
04-30-2004, 07:50 AM
after I replcaed the bulbs and put the cluster in, my SRS light came on and stayed on for a few seconds. WHy is this happening? It's been a week now since I replaced the bulbs and the SRS light still stays on for a few seconds.

BenzMeister
04-30-2004, 08:19 AM
If so, it might not be seated correctly, loose, the SRS is a very senitive systems. I had a similar problem with my rear right parking light, I replaced the bulb, but I still got the bulb out warming, turns out I didn't seat the bulb correctly it was loose and caused the bulb monitor to come on, I reinstalled and now it is OK.

Tom Q
04-30-2004, 08:30 AM
I'll pull the cluster out again and check the bulb. It's just annoying to see a red light in your dash :mad: