PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic But In Need Some Input

BenzMeister
05-03-2004, 06:34 AM
My son has a 86 Acura Intrega Vtec. He lowered the suspension all around 1.3". The car has stock 15" x 7.5 wheels and standard tires. He purchased a 17" x 7.5 wheels from a person for $100.00. I don't think they will fit even with lower profile tires, the tires on the car now have an extremely low profile, but even at that I feel going from a 15" to a 17" is asking for trouble. He said he is going to a garage he knows well and have them mount the tires and drive around the parking lot to see if there is enough cleareance. I believe there are more then clearance issues, handling, ride quality, etc.

Any input would be appreciated.

J Irwan
05-03-2004, 07:34 AM
IMHO,

since he got the 17" pretty good of a deal, I'd give it a try ..
and if they don't fit then simple sell it

I'd just buy one tire first and mount it on one of the wheels and test fit. One the front...then move it to the back..

that way if it doesn't fit, you will only stuck with 1 brand new tires..

Off course with the proper offset 17x7.5 should fit just fine, as I have seen the older integra with 18" and some extreme ones with 19" :)

Regardz,

MrSpace
05-03-2004, 10:07 AM
they should fit

I had a 1990 integra and even 18" fitted

I don't know for the 1986 but for the price he should try it

Etienne

BenzMeister
05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
IMHO,

since he got the 17" pretty good of a deal, I'd give it a try ..
and if they don't fit then simple sell it

I'd just buy one tire first and mount it on one of the wheels and test fit. One the front...then move it to the back..

that way if it doesn't fit, you will only stuck with 1 brand new tires..

Off course with the proper offset 17x7.5 should fit just fine, as I have seen the older integra with 18" and some extreme ones with 19" :)

Regardz,

I made a typo error it is a 96 Intrega, sorry about that, but the year shouldn't make a difference. Thanks for the inport. The wheels have some very worn low profile tires on them already, so that's what he is going to test them on for fit.

sleek_benzo
05-03-2004, 03:24 PM
i used to have a 95 civic hb with ground control coilovers... i had 17x7.5 iwith 215/40/17 on them .. rode pretty smooth... my buddies had a 95 gsr and me swap rims all the time.. so it should be fine

c_lee
05-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BenzMeister
I made a typo error it is a 96 Intrega, sorry about that, but the year shouldn't make a difference. Thanks for the inport. The wheels have some very worn low profile tires on them already, so that's what he is going to test them on for fit.

I have a 1999 integra (same body as 96) with with 17x7.5 all around 5 zigen wheels with a 2.5" drop (progress springs) all around. I have absolutely no issues....no modification to the fenders were needed.

HOWEVER, in order to ensure proper ride and tire wear, your son will need to get an alignment done after the springs set in. Also, he may have camber issues.

c_lee
05-03-2004, 04:29 PM
by the way - you are gonna probably run 215/40 for the tires

willpower
05-03-2004, 04:33 PM
those are great cars... i used to have a 95 GSR. After I brought it home for my dad to test drive, he said, "Son. This is a pretty fast car. You'd better not do anything stupid in it." Funny thing was, he was trying to suppress this grin the whole time. :D

c_lee
05-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by willpower
those are great cars... i used to have a 95 GSR. After I brought it home for my dad to test drive, he said, "Son. This is a pretty fast car. You'd better not do anything stupid in it." Funny thing was, he was trying to suppress this grin the whole time. :D

i miss my integra..... :(

BenzMeister
05-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by c_lee
I have a 1999 integra (same body as 96) with with 17x7.5 all around 5 zigen wheels with a 2.5" drop (progress springs) all around. I have absolutely no issues....no modification to the fenders were needed.

HOWEVER, in order to ensure proper ride and tire wear, your son will need to get an alignment done after the springs set in. Also, he may have camber issues.

Ok, thanks, he is taking the need a week from tomorrow to a shop to have this wheels mounted, as I said in an earler post test drive them around the lot, I will mentioned to whome the from end issues. Thanks

BenzMeister
05-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Ok, thanks, he is taking the need a week from tomorrow to a shop to have this wheels mounted, as I said in an earler post test drive them around the lot, I will mentioned to whome the from end issues. Thanks

Forgot to mention this shop is a "tuner shop" that specializes in rice cars and has all the lastest when alignment and suspension machine and a Mustang engine dyno, but they can't align headlights and mine need it. My car is starmarked until 7/05 and I am going to find out if that is included. I followed the direction in the owners manual, but can't get the horizontal correct, I have a feeling it is not working.

c_lee
05-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Forgot to mention this shop is a "tuner shop" that specializes in rice cars and has all the lastest when alignment and suspension machine and a Mustang engine dyno, but they can't align headlights and mine need it. My car is starmarked until 7/05 and I am going to find out if that is included. I followed the direction in the owners manual, but can't get the horizontal correct, I have a feeling it is not working.

if you car is starmarked, it should be covered by MB Direct.

BenzMeister
05-05-2004, 03:28 AM
if you car is starmarked, it should be covered by MB Direct. an appointment today, both dealers in the area are usually a week or two out for a apppointment. Unless I go in for the inspections then they are obliged to take you in turn order, by state law, dealership or not.

fastmayte
05-10-2004, 10:09 AM
integra with 205 40 17's is prolly the max id' go cuz the bigger circomfrance, the worse mpg's more suspesion wear and rougher ride. also to mention tire wear. for daily driving, 16's with 205 45's will give almost as good handling but alot better ride and mpg's. :)

BenzMeister
05-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by fastmayte
integra with 205 40 17's is prolly the max id' go cuz the bigger circomfrance, the worse mpg's more suspesion wear and rougher ride. also to mention tire wear. for daily driving, 16's with 205 45's will give almost as good handling but alot better ride and mpg's. :)

I told my kid the same things, especially the suspension wear, as the car is lowered over a inch all round and he had some broken susupension pieces replaced already. This Wednesday he is supposed to have the wheels and the tires that are on them fitted, the tires are an extremely low profile also, which will probably make the ride worse.

c_lee
05-10-2004, 12:30 PM
I told my kid the same things, especially the suspension wear, as the car is lowered over a inch all round and he had some broken susupension pieces replaced already. This Wednesday he is supposed to have the wheels and the tires that are on them fitted, the tires are an extremely low profile also, which will probably make the ride worse.

ya but...he's a kid!:D

he probably just wants it to look really cool! he can handle the rough ride :D

BenzMeister
05-10-2004, 01:35 PM
ya but...he's a kid!:D

he probably just wants it to look really cool! he can handle the rough ride :D

Funny part of it is he can't handle any rough ride whether in a car or in life.

c_lee
05-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Funny part of it is he can't handle any rough ride whether in a car or in life.

For me - when I had my integra dropped 2.5" all around and rode on 17x7.5 all around on 215/40. It really wasn't too bad. And I drove my integ for 3 yrs commuting 70 miles a day while going through college. Granted most of it was on souther california highways. It all depends on the setup your son is riding on. Type of Springs, struts and its settings.

but ya, no matter what - when you lower your car - your ride quality is definitely not luxurious to say the least.

hmmm...need to post some pics up of my integ! :D

BenzMeister
05-10-2004, 04:41 PM
For me - when I had my integra dropped 2.5" all around and rode on 17x7.5 all around on 215/40. It really wasn't too bad. And I drove my integ for 3 yrs commuting 70 miles a day while going through college. Granted most of it was on souther california highways. It all depends on the setup your son is riding on. Type of Springs, struts and its settings.

but ya, no matter what - when you lower your car - your ride quality is definitely not luxurious to say the least.

hmmm...need to post some pics up of my integ! :D

racer, I guess the Tuner crowd of today is the redux of my generation, but sake and not beer.:D

c_lee
05-10-2004, 04:53 PM
racer, I guess the Tuner crowd of today is the redux of my generation, but sake and not beer.:D

well...my dad and his friends and all from his gen had their muscle cars of the 60s - 70s. and my generation have our rice rockets!! different types of cars and different tuning, but the bottom line - same goals - MORE POWER!!!!!!
:D :D :D

now --- well after college its kinda embarrassing to drive to the office with a lowered import with its loud azz exhaust tat you can hear before you see....so turned in my tuner ride for a MB....now that i work - i can afford one too. hehehehe.

BenzMeister
05-11-2004, 03:57 AM
well...my dad and his friends and all from his gen had their muscle cars of the 60s - 70s. and my generation have our rice rockets!! different types of cars and different tuning, but the bottom line - same goals - MORE POWER!!!!!!
:D :D :D

now --- well after college its kinda embarrassing to drive to the office with a lowered import with its loud azz exhaust tat you can hear before you see....so turned in my tuner ride for a MB....now that i work - i can afford one too. hehehehe.

I come from the 50s and 60s muscle car generation and kept with the "hobby" until our first child was born, then it went to family cars. When they grew up, I had my midlife crises and had a 911, a Z3, a Jeep CJ and a VW ragtop, era 1972, not all at one time but over a period of about 10 years, now I've matured and drive my Benz which I love, but I still enjoy the fun of a sports sedan.