PDA

View Full Version : car runs slow

KenzBenz
05-09-2004, 05:17 PM
the car runs slow now and doesnt feel like its running 100%. when i accelerate the car feels heavy and doesnt always feel like its responding that well when i want it to accelerate. Also on the freeway around 100mph it doesnt want to go past that easily like it use to. what are some possible problems here? what should i check ?

J Irwan
05-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Failed MAF sensor, could make the car behave that way.. ;)

Regardz,

manny
05-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Partially plugged catalytic converter ?
Just a thought. ;)

SLAMMED_C
05-09-2004, 06:26 PM
I would say a faulty MAS also.. try cleaning the mas sensor with lighter fluid first and see if it solves your troubles.
take your MAS out, and if possible disassemble it so the actual sensor part can be removed.. then just spray lighter fluid at it to remove any dirt.. its not a good idea to scrub the sensor at all. if it doesnt work.. it still may be a faulty MAS, but this is a cheap way to possibly save big $$$ on a new MAS.
is your check engine light on?

KenzBenz
05-09-2004, 07:22 PM
well the MAF sensor has been changed before but i did forget to say i had a check engine light which is caused by EGR malfunction which is plugged up but i read that it shouldnt affect the performance of the car , is that true? also anything else you guys can think of ? thanks for the replies

SLAMMED_C
05-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Well if you had a plugged cat.. then for sure you would have miss fire codes.
you have an EGR code.. I believe that a plugged egr can cause problems.. but I dont think as severe as you are talking about though..
LOL about just having the MAS replaced!!.. means nothing.. MB's are notorious for having bad MAS's.
look into the EGR code though, maybe a new egr and egr pipe (I think) is in store for you!
for a bad MAS you may have self adaptation at limit codes (PO170, 173) but sometimes there arent any codes set off, the PO170, 173 codes can also mean a vacuum leak too.
I dont know what else to tell you.. check into the code you have, check out the EGR and see how she looks.

manny
05-09-2004, 07:42 PM
If your CEL is on, it's time to pull the code(s).
Non-funtioning EGR will normally result in retarded ignition timing, primarily under cruise conditions.

J Irwan
05-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Ken

since your C36 is a 95, there is a good possibility the culprit is the Engine harness.

Regardz,

Rocky
05-09-2004, 08:16 PM
EGR code?

the problem is the pipe that lead form the egr to the inlet to the block, it gets caked with carbon. just clean it out or replace it with a new part.

most indi benz shops make cleaning out the egr tube a reg maintenece item.

KenzBenz
05-09-2004, 09:10 PM
ic, well im planning to get a new egr valve..i read somewhere that they had an updated part where it won't clog like the older parts..anyone know? and i hope its not the engine harness..i dealt with new harness, new MAF sensor, and new oxygen sensors just last year. one quick question , how often are you supposed to change spark plugs? thanks again for the help

Rocky
05-10-2004, 02:49 AM
90% of the time it's not the EGR, it's the metal pipe the runs underneath the engine and into an inlet on the block just near the intake manifold. It gets cakewd with carbon. There's a new updated piece for that tube because of the way it bends. The new tube doesn't have that 90 degree bend.

goto www.mercedesshop.com and look it up

KenzBenz
05-10-2004, 03:07 AM
anyone know what that part is called? i tried looking on mercedesshop but i can't seem to find info on that part =/

detroit202
05-10-2004, 06:07 AM
hey whatever happened to checking jusy your plain old air filter first ! it might be clogged up and need replacement

;)

slowpoke
05-10-2004, 07:22 AM
yup, you may want to change your oil, plugs, and fuel filter as well... had the same problem, but after these changes, the car runs like new

Rocky
05-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by detroit202
hey whatever happened to checking jusy your plain old air filter first ! it might be clogged up and need replacement

;)

He has a check engine light on that tell him is EGR is inoperative.

check..

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?threadid=89906&highlight=egr+tube

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/search.php3?action=showresults&searchid=847223&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

CKlasse
05-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Could be many things. Ignition, fuel delivery, MAF or O2S, and finally CAT. Give us more details of the hesitation. How many miles does it have so far? etc.

detroit202
05-10-2004, 08:53 AM
oops ! i guess i better read through every post b4 i reply next time :D

KenzBenz
05-10-2004, 09:56 AM
i have 165K, if i take it to a mechanic what should i tell him to check?

Rocky
05-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Check the tube that lead from the EGR to the inlet that leads to the other side of the block. Also check the inlet in the block cause carbon can cuild up there too. Your going to have to take off the air intake mainifold to access it i believe.

The tube goes from the EGR, which is locted close to uner the air mass meter (MAS), winds underneath the whole block to the other side to under the intake manifold where the inlet is.

The new designed pip should cost around $100 US or so. The labour will be a little high since you have to take aprt the intake manifold.

KenzBenz
05-10-2004, 03:28 PM
alright now i gotta go find a mechanic that i can trust. thanks for all your help rocky and everyone ill keep you guys updated.