PDA

View Full Version : SRS/ESP light both on (C43)

tinter101
05-10-2004, 07:29 PM
I thought I'd share a story with a happy ending.
Shortly after I bought my '98 C43 from out of state, the
SRS and ESP lights both started to come on for a short
time after starting the car. After a while they would stay on
all the time while car was running. I took it to the dealer and
they said all they could do was replace some YAW sensor for
about $1000. I told them I'd think about it. After the first
winter of storage the battery was completely dead so I
replaced it and guess what, no more lights since. I thought
this story might help someone else someday.

jnolte
05-10-2004, 07:42 PM
This is a precaution done by your car to save your battery. It is supposed to happen. It says in your manual. If your battery voltage drops below 10 volts the car will shut off ESP and the Anti lock breaks until voltage returns to normal. See good thing you dident lisiten to your dealer this is why they are called the STEALERSHIP! bastards!

tinter101
05-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I'm always reluctant to go into the dealer and I
rarely have them touch my car. Come to think of it I
think it was the ESP/ABS lights not the SRS/ESP. Note to
everyone- always get a second opinion from club202.

jnolte
05-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by tinter101
Yeah, I'm always reluctant to go into the dealer and I
rarely have them touch my car. Come to think of it I
think it was the ESP/ABS lights not the SRS/ESP. Note to
everyone- always get a second opinion from club202.

werd! club202 rocks! ;)

coolcarlskic43
05-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
This is a precaution done by your car to save your battery. It is supposed to happen. It says in your manual. If your battery voltage drops below 10 volts the car will shut off ESP and the Anti lock breaks until voltage returns to normal. See good thing you dident lisiten to your dealer this is why they are called the STEALERSHIP! bastards! This has been happening to my car lately as well. the esp and abs come on but when i shut the car off and restart the lights stay off. Go figure.. Is it really a voltage issue?

Denlasoul
05-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Definitely. Seeing that your car is a 98, I would think your battery is going on it's last leg. I would think your battery is not currently being charged to capacity. You can check the voltage and see if it drops.

DLS

jnolte
05-11-2004, 03:58 PM
yup get out ur voltage meter

coolcarlskic43
10-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
yup get out ur voltage meter I went to Sears and Autozone for a new battery for my C43 and they dont have them listed.Can any one suggest a place other than the MB dealer?My two lights have benn coming on alot lately and some times my starter will just Klick a few times then start.

SLAMMED_C
10-03-2004, 06:28 PM
ESP/ABS light is most comonly the brake lamp switch.. sometimes it can be the clock spring.. but very rarely.

tinter101
10-03-2004, 07:24 PM
I got my new battery at Batteries Plus. Do you have this
store near you? It was the exact replacement battery and
it was about $90.00 USD. About $15 less than stealership.

Rocky
10-04-2004, 05:11 AM
It might not be the battery. Same thing happened to me. got a new battery and drove it to my shop. Did a test on the alternator, it was a dying alternator. Had it rebuild and back on the streets.

coolcarlskic43
10-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
It might not be the battery. Same thing happened to me. got a new battery and drove it to my shop. Did a test on the alternator, it was a dying alternator. Had it rebuild and back on the streets. I never checked the alt,but I figure that the batt is 6 yrs old so I figured what the heck.Howevr I will chk Alt voltage first.

Rocky
10-05-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
I never checked the alt,but I figure that the batt is 6 yrs old so I figured what the heck.Howevr I will chk Alt voltage first.

Alts on the W202 are pretty weak.