PDA

View Full Version : New Front Brake Pads

BenzMeister
05-11-2004, 01:23 PM
I am really sick and tired of cleaning my wheels twice to three times a week, Mercedes has most dusty pads I've every seen. I tried the wheel shield inserts and they were OK, but never quite fit correctly as I could hear them rubbing when I drove, I took the front wheels off several times and finally gave up. Bottom line besides the Mercedes pads is a a dustless pad outthere for every day driving? The stoping power of the stock pads are impressive, so I would want a pad that work just as well as the Mercedes pads but with less dust.

Rocky
05-11-2004, 01:31 PM
I believe many people have had success with Porterfield pads with stock rotors. Very very very little dust.

STAY AWAY FROM EBC, THEY WARP THE ROTORS BAD.

J Irwan
05-11-2004, 01:32 PM
try

PBR Deluxe, Porterfield R4S.

They're dustless. I currently have PBR pad, and they actually stop better and dust 90% less than stock pad.

Regardz,

BenzMeister
05-11-2004, 06:11 PM
they were good pads. Another question are the calipers on a Mercedes basically the same as other cars, do you need to bleed the brakes to push the caliper piston in so the new pad can be inserted or will the piston push in without bleeding, I changed the pads on the Z3 and the piston wouldn't move so I had to bleed the entire system, which unless there is a soft pedal I don't do just to change the pads if I can help it.

BenzMeister
05-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
I believe many people have had success with Porterfield pads with stock rotors. Very very very little dust.

STAY AWAY FROM EBC, THEY WARP THE ROTORS BAD.
I did a search before I posted and read some horror stores about EBC the Greens. A BMW tuner up here in eastern Ma tried to sell me Greens when I had the Z3, and I back off, there great for racing where your going to build up a lot of heat quickly and usually change rotors and pads at least every second race, and the other EBC red? is it? aren't much better I am told. Porterfield are also a good pad, but I was told they also need to be heated up before your get a good grip.

I think I am going with the PBR's any good prices out there on the net for these pads?

J Irwan
05-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by BenzMeister
they were good pads. Another question are the calipers on a Mercedes basically the same as other cars, do you need to bleed the brakes to push the caliper piston in so the new pad can be inserted or will the piston push in without bleeding, I changed the pads on the Z3 and the piston wouldn't move so I had to bleed the entire system, which unless there is a soft pedal I don't do just to change the pads if I can help it.

I didn't bleed my brake in order to push the piston in.
I open the brake fluid reservoir cap and put towel around it to absorb any spills...while I push the piston back in.

And I got my PBR pad from Phil at mercedesshop.com

Regardz,

BenzMeister
05-12-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
I didn't bleed my brake in order to push the piston in.
I open the brake fluid reservoir cap and put towel around it to absorb any spills...while I push the piston back in.

And I got my PBR pad from Phil at mercedesshop.com

Regardz,

Thanks, for the advice, I've shopped at mercedesshop.com and Phil has given me excellent advice, there prices are good and so is there service.