PDA

View Full Version : Heavy steering??

B8782HS
05-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi guys,
Wanna ask bout my steering..
I've installed Avantgarde 18" (8.5" wide all), tyres front 225/40, rear 235/40, and eibach springs with bilstein shocks.
Why does my steering turn so heavy when i moved the gear to "D" and while i press the break pedal, it is so heavy to turn the steering (example: when parking), but if i released a bit the break pedal, it's not heavy anymore, but again if i pressed break pedal and tried to turn the steering again, it was heavy again. Is it the power steering problem or it is all ok? (is it the side effect if applying 18" wheels and lowering kit maybe???)
Thanks all..

hvmercy
05-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by B8782HS
Hi guys,
Wanna ask bout my steering..
I've installed Avantgarde 18" (8.5" wide all), tyres front 225/40, rear 235/40, and eibach springs with bilstein shocks.
Why does my steering turn so heavy when i moved the gear to "D" and while i press the break pedal, it is so heavy to turn the steering (example: when parking), but if i released a bit the break pedal, it's not heavy anymore, but again if i pressed break pedal and tried to turn the steering again, it was heavy again. Is it the power steering problem or it is all ok? (is it the side effect if applying 18" wheels and lowering kit maybe???)
Thanks all..

Sounds like you have a problem with your power steering pump.
Changing tire width and dimension should not affect your
steering however I've heard that it messes up your
cruise control.
Check your fluid level as a start.

mrjones
05-16-2004, 12:19 AM
I have a very similar problem, but it occurs completely at random.
I'd be driving for days without problems, then suddenly my steering goes powerless while parking or driving slowly.
This also occured with my stock wheels, so it's got nothing to do with your new wheel setup.
Cruise control still works fine, but my ABS light did come on a few times, just after I had the new wheels fitted.

Back to the powersteering, the fluid is o.k., and I've been quoted R9000 (about US$1400) for a new pump. I found a used one the other day, but as the problem is intermittend I haven't got the motivation (or $$$) to have it fixed. :bored:

fastmayte
05-16-2004, 06:32 AM
powersteering filter?

B8782HS
05-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by fastmayte
powersteering filter?

I've checked the power steering fluid, but it was all ok.
What is power steering filter and where is it located?
Thanks.. :)

JRE320
05-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Check your tire pressures. The tire pressure sometime got to do with it.