PDA

View Full Version : C220CDI 1999 BAS ASR light on all the time

touchwoodsden
05-22-2004, 10:30 AM
I just got this car. I have a 1999 C220 CDI Diesel and the ASR/BAS light is always on. It used to come on oaccasionally and wouldnt go off till I stopped the car and switched off. Now it is on all the time. I recently fitted a towbar with 7 way bypass relay in the rear stop light and all other lighting circuits and the lights on the trailer and the car work fine.
Someone suggested damp in the ECU connector.
It has also been suggested that it may be a fuse. Unfortunately I have no drivers manual with the car so I dont even know whre all the fuses are. They seem to be all over the place.
Incidentally, the cruise control just stopped working. Can this be related?
I tried ECU fuses, bonnet (hood)fuses and boot (trunk) fuses and all seem OK. Doesnt seem any damp in the ECU box either.
I begrudge going into MB and paying their extortionate bill but if that's what it's got to be then that's what it's got to be.
Fingers crossed
Thanks for all replies.
James Mather.
UK
BTW yes I did search the archive first

SLAMMED_C
05-22-2004, 01:13 PM
well from what ive seen, the most common reason for the bas/asr light coming on is the brake lamp switch.. u need to get codes pulled to verify this.. but maybe first park your car so u can see your brake light coming on (maybe with a wall behind you, or have someone check) and push the brake pedal to see how much travel is needed to turn on your brake light.. if there is very little travel need to turn the brake light on.. it may just need to be readjusted, to do this you can try removing the drivers underdash panel and removing the brake lamp switch, push brake pedal in and remove switch by squeezing the lock and turning clockwise i think (it will only tun one way) then when out, pull the plastic shaft out all the way and then put back in place.. remembering to push the brake pedal in a bit.. after it clicks into place.. let go of the brake pedal slowly, you will hear a clicking noise as the brake lamp switch adjusts to when the pedal will sit.. now check to see when your brake pedal comes on again.. there should be between 2-4mm or travel before it comes on. (this can be seen better with a MB star diagniosis) and it can be adjusted so it comes on earlier by pulling on the brake pedal (towards you) making the brake lights come on sooner (if your over the 2-4mm) and of course the brake lamp switch could be completely defective.. and adjusting will not help at all. there could be other possibilities dont forget.. a brake booster is another.. the only real way to tell what it is, is to have codes pulled.
good luck

touchwoodsden
05-23-2004, 03:56 AM
Hey, thanks for that. I think that we may be getting there
The brake light comes on when i press the pedal 2-4mm, so that seemed OK. I then removed the footwell trim under the dash and removed the brake switch.(it twists out of sort of bayonet). With the switch dangling, restart the car and hey presto, the lights act just as they should. Replace it and it shows faulty again. I pulled the switch out and tested it with a buzzer. It has 2 sets of 2 prongs. One set work fine (with the button in, the contact is open) that is it buzzes when I let the button go;ie braking. Presumably this is brake light part of the switch. The other pair of prongs are open circuit all the time. Seemed odd, so I pulled the switch apart (held together with little tags) and hey presto, 2 tiny pieces of copper strip fell out. :-)
I shall get another switch Monday hopefully and report back.
Thanks for your help once again.
James Mather
N Wales UK

touchwoodsden
05-23-2004, 04:18 AM
I managed to bend the spring plate (in the switch) with the broken tags (i couldnt remove it as its riveted into place.) After bending I inserted a sliver of wood under it to prevent it moving back. Buzz test works fine and...wait for it...fitted back on car....works A1+.
I just ran into post this I am so excited (sad life i have isnt it?). I shall still get a new switch. Just putting trim back after having a cup of tea in celebration (English thing)
Thanks for your help once again.
James
:D :cool: :)

SLAMMED_C
05-24-2004, 02:44 PM
have you installed the new brake lamp switch?

Just putting trim back after having a cup of tea in celebration (English thing)
lol.. I know all about that.. I have many Engilsh relatives.. and my mom is from england too.
your welcome for the help.. Im glad everything worked out.

touchwoodsden
05-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Say hello to your Mom (mum over here).
The woman who lives next door to me is from California. She does 3 months alternate between here and the US. Her husband is from UK.

On a Mercedes note, the faulty brake light switch put the cruise control out of action too!

Thanks again..
James
:D

touchwoodsden
05-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Oops, just noticed U R in Canada not US.:rolleyes:
Oh well, whats a few thousand miles?

J

SLAMMED_C
05-24-2004, 02:53 PM
no prob.. just dont make that mistake again!! lol
yeh whats a few thousand miles!!

coolcarlskic43
05-24-2004, 03:32 PM
My abs srs light comes on from time to time when Im at a light. I have to turn off the car and turn it bac off just to getthe lights off.Now I'm finding thatthis is happening quite oten.Is this problem truly actually related to battery voltage?I'd hate to have to purchase a new batt if this is not so.

SLAMMED_C
05-24-2004, 03:55 PM
the srs light is most likey not related to the abs light.. could be an air bag, but most likey a seat belt buckle.. but you will need to have codes pulled to verify this.
for the abs.. could be a number of things..
abs light is a different story from an asr/bas light.. it could be anything from the pump itself to a wheel speed sensor.. again need codes pulled.. a weak battery wouldnt cause these problems I dont htink so anyway.. does your car seem to be slower than normal when starting? have a battery test done.. how old is your batter.. it may be time for a new one anyway.. I just put a new one in my moms 98 C230.. starts hella faster now!.. did a battery test with the midtronics tester at work. her car has never had a battery put in since new.. so it was really time for a new one.

coolcarlskic43
05-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
the srs light is most likey not related to the abs light.. could be an air bag, but most likey a seat belt buckle.. but you will need to have codes pulled to verify this.
for the abs.. could be a number of things..
abs light is a different story from an asr/bas light.. it could be anything from the pump itself to a wheel speed sensor.. again need codes pulled.. a weak battery wouldnt cause these problems I dont htink so anyway.. does your car seem to be slower than normal when starting? have a battery test done.. how old is your batter.. it may be time for a new one anyway.. I just put a new one in my moms 98 C230.. starts hella faster now!.. did a battery test with the midtronics tester at work. her car has never had a battery put in since new.. so it was really time for a new one. There are times when my car wont start after the first turn and second turn of the key.Then it will usually start after the 3rd try,so I was suspecting the battery possibly. But someone mentioned that a weak batt could cause the abs and the slip control light to go off.

SLAMMED_C
05-24-2004, 08:07 PM
There are times when my car wont start after the first turn and second turn of the key.Then it will usually start after the 3rd try,so I was suspecting the battery possibly. But someone mentioned that a weak batt could cause the abs and the slip control light to go off.
do u mean that when u go to start your car.. after turning the key the starter keeps trying to turn the engine over??.. or it tries to start and then stops immediatly (really soon after letting go of key)?? if it stops immediatly after trying to start then its not your battery.. try lubricating the ring gear with ring gear paste.. there were problems with the clk's for that reason.. the starter tries to start the car and after it tries to turn over the engine it see's resistance so stops turing over the engine immediatly. Its kinda technical to explain.. but the eis sends out a signal after the key is in the ignition and is turned to start, the signal goes to the starter and the pull in and hold in winding energize causing the starter to engage.. but soon after the starter making contact with the ring gear it stops.. it see's a resistance or voltage and stops cranking thinking the engine has started. after lubricating the ring gear the problem goes away and normal starting will take place.
hope this helps with that.
in regards to a low battery causing abs or asr light to come on.. I dont think it would set off your light.. but maybe put a stored low voltage code in the control module.
u have to get codes pulled for the lights man.

coolcarlskic43
05-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
do u mean that when u go to start your car.. after turning the key the starter keeps trying to turn the engine over??.. or it tries to start and then stops immediatly (really soon after letting go of key)?? if it stops immediatly after trying to start then its not your battery.. try lubricating the ring gear with ring gear paste.. there were problems with the clk's for that reason.. the starter tries to start the car and after it tries to turn over the engine it see's resistance so stops turing over the engine immediatly. Its kinda technical to explain.. but the eis sends out a signal after the key is in the ignition and is turned to start, the signal goes to the starter and the pull in and hold in winding energize causing the starter to engage.. but soon after the starter making contact with the ring gear it stops.. it see's a resistance or voltage and stops cranking thinking the engine has started. after lubricating the ring gear the problem goes away and normal starting will take place.
hope this helps with that.
in regards to a low battery causing abs or asr light to come on.. I dont think it would set off your light.. but maybe put a stored low voltage code in the control module.
u have to get codes pulled for the lights man. When I tryto start the car,Its lke the car wold be completely dead(only the lights on the dash would come on).No starter engagement or anything. Only the lights o n the dash would come on and thats it,just silence...On the third try the starter would engage and then the car would start.Thats why I'm suspecting the battery.Perhaps the voltage is too low or something?Also causing during idle at a stand still those annoying ABS and ASR lights to come on.

SLAMMED_C
05-25-2004, 06:28 PM
When I tryto start the car,Its lke the car wold be completely dead(only the lights on the dash would come on).No starter engagement or anything. Only the lights o n the dash would come on and thats it,just silence...On the third try the starter would engage and then the car would start.Thats why I'm suspecting the battery.Perhaps the voltage is too low or something?Also causing during idle at a stand still those annoying ABS and ASR lights to come on.
hmmmm.. well Id suggest a battery test then.