PDA

View Full Version : Gonna buy a bargain C280 - or is it a bargain???

atchaa
05-26-2004, 04:49 AM
Hi there, this is my first post here, and you all seem like a friendly bunch :)

I have been looking for some time for my next car which will be as follows:

A C280 or C230k (both 193bhp so not fussed),
with full bodykit (rieger or amg)
black leather
an auto.
Really bling wheels.

My budget is anything up to £6k

Quite a lot to ask, but that's the criterion.

I've seen a couple of C36 replicas (with the above engines), and the general pricing is around £5500-£6000 for a '96 model with around 100k.

I have just however located a white (yes WHITE) C280 sport, a '95 model with 180k (!) on the clock. The colour and the mileage has meant the guy is finding it very difficult to sell. Mechanically it is still fine, pulls hard and no signs of problems. The mileage is very high BUT it comes complete with FULL MB dealership service history. It was serviced at the same London dealership all its life. It's in fine condition too, and all my other criterion (leather, aircon auto etc) are met.
It also has the amg bodykit from the factory.

I have managed to bargain him down to just £3000 for the car, which he desperately wants to sell.

The colour will have to change though, so I got a quote of £1200 to change it to either metallic black or metallic red. Which should I go for, and is this a good price.

Also, is the overall deal a good one?

I will also have to add wheels, but I will probably import some 19" Lorinser LM6 replicas from the US (they look great on w202s).

I'll then tint the windows, add a remus exhaust (around £300)

So once I respray it either red or black, add huge wheels, an exhaust, and tints I think the car would look fabulous.
For a total cost of around £5000-5200

I took some pics of the actual car in question:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/611000-611999/611810_1.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/611000-611999/611810_2.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/611000-611999/611810_3.jpg

I hope to make it look something like this:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/611000-611999/611810_4.jpg

or this:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/611000-611999/611810_5.jpg

Any advice, ideas?

Cheers.

Rocky
05-26-2004, 05:21 AM
In all honest truth. If you don't have extra cash for repairs, don't bother.

Do a search on wiring harness, MAS (mass air sensor), Control arm bushing and transmission.

Denlasoul
05-26-2004, 05:31 AM
I would think a car with full service history says alot about the car.

Granted there is alot of miles or km's, but if the maintenance has been done, the car is most likely in good shape. IF you are still weary about the car, I'd take it to an independent mechanic and see what he says.

Seems like a good price, and for what you want to do your budget sounds accurate.

Good luck.

edit: I like the white. If you were to paint it, I'd go with the red (rarer).

98_Benzo
05-26-2004, 10:20 AM
I do see one major problem.......The steering wheel is on the wrong side...:D J/K!! The thing with higher mileage cars, you don't want to go with a supercharged high mileage car. Blowers of any sort wear an engine out faster. Try to go with a non blowen car if your going high mileage.

How is the history on the books, is it long? If it has a long history, don't do it!!

Just my .02 !! Good luck, man.

kameraguy
05-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Just keep in mind, the most expensive MB is a used one.

This holds true if you don't know the history of the car. Just check everything carefully and make sure nothing major needs to be done. The smallest thing costs bucks!

jnolte
05-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Yeah be care ful. There is also alot of things that u need to make sure are changed: Headgasket, wireharness.

I think that black one u posted at the bottom is a guy that lives in WA. ST in USA, His SN : rollinAMG? i could be wrong tho

98_Benzo
05-26-2004, 03:34 PM
J you are correct.....I saw his car in Autotrader.

Rocky
05-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Just keep in mind, the most expensive MB is a used one.

:werd:

sorbo
05-26-2004, 06:43 PM
i can not stress how much you should get a second shop to look at it! and if you can find an extened warrenty that is covers as much as possible, get it. but high KM could make that warrenty harder to get.

SLAMMED_C
05-26-2004, 08:03 PM
well just some things to think about..
yes it is a toss up when buying a used car.. but if there is documented proof the car has had a good service history.. then your pretty much in the clear.. meaning this owner taken care of his car. regular maintanence is key to any car.
high mileage isnt that big a deal with all honestly.. Ive seen a 190E that had a head gasket done.. had well over 160,000km and it still had the cross hatching on the cylinder walls.. thats pretty impressive.. i think it was a late 80's 190E.. all that time and still hasnt worn the cross hatching off the cylinder wall.. also I saw a 1999 S500, granted not that old.. but had 120,000km on it.. the backs of the valves were absolutly spotless... no carbon build up at all.
the Inline 6 motor was probably the best motor ever made by MB.. very tough, so the c280 you are thinking of at that price sounds pretty good.. you still may want to get it looked at by your mechanic if oyu have one.. or an independant garage as was mentioned before. just to make sure all looks well and no leaks are seen.. but another thing to think of is, repairs and maintanence isnt cheap for the MB's.. make sure you have the money to fix it.. no point in buying one if u cant afford the repairs too.

martattack
05-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Yeah be care ful. There is also alot of things that u need to make sure are changed: Headgasket, wireharness.

I think that black one u posted at the bottom is a guy that lives in WA. ST in USA, His SN : rollinAMG? i could be wrong tho

Yeah, that was my buddy Chris's C36. He sold it some time late last year though.

Martin

jnolte
05-28-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
Yeah, that was my buddy Chris's C36. He sold it some time late last year though.

Martin

one sick C36. it has NOS right?

LV202
05-28-2004, 07:20 PM
There was one of these on ebay with 404k MILES not long ago!

Solid cars.

Don't let mileage bother you.

Get the one with all records after having a pre purchase inspection.

See if the wiring harness, and head gasket have been done by the PO. Good chance they have been already, which would be A+.

If not, then use that as bargaining tool.

All books and records mean alot to me. I bought mine with all records and it hasn't given me ANY problems. I took care of the two biggies even though they weren't causing any problems yet. Call it preventative maintenance.

Good luck.

martattack
05-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
one sick C36. it has NOS right?

Didn't have NOS as far as I knew. I believe he had a Brabus exhaust on it, possibly other mods.