PDA

View Full Version : Cold AIR INTAKE

BenzMeister
05-31-2004, 12:39 PM
there is a party on Ebay selling a CAI for C Class Mercedes here is the item number 2480154332 Anyone ever try a intake like this on a C Class, I had a Dinan on a BMW and it worked well. But my main concern is the MAS on Benz's they have there own sense of what is air and what is not.:)

I am a Veteran, Lets not foget those who gave their lives so we can live free.

fastmayte
05-31-2004, 08:09 PM
i had a cold air intake. it was a temporary one, by that i mean i used the dryer piping.

worked really good, good mpg's and lil better preformance, no maf probs....

used it for a while till the pipe broke. still trying to find some to bend someone piping for me to make a permanant one.

sorbo
05-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by BenzMeister
I am a Veteran, Lets not foget those who gave their lives so we can live free.

not just on one day of the year, june 6 is just a week away. a friend of my moms grew up in germany, she still ducks/flinchs when she hears thunder, the bombing raids still fresh to her, it is one of the more disterbing things i've seen.

Fastmayte- someone who can bend your pipe is an exaust shop with a manderal (sp) bender, should not be to hard to find.

Ahmad
06-01-2004, 02:17 AM
you have to make sure that the it is taking cold air from outside engine compartment, if it is taking the air from around the radiator or the engine you will loose HPs, and make sure it maintains and keeps the air cold like if it is made from a heat resistant material.
the second point you have to fit an exhaust to make the filter works, don't ask mw why cause its a long story, and then fit a one degree colder type spark plug than what you are using right now.
that will make HP :bunny:

BenzMeister
06-01-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Ahmad
you have to make sure that the it is taking cold air from outside engine compartment, if it is taking the air from around the radiator or the engine you will loose HPs, and make sure it maintains and keeps the air cold like if it is made from a heat resistant material.
the second point you have to fit an exhaust to make the filter works, don't ask mw why cause its a long story, and then fit a one degree colder type spark plug than what you are using right now.
that will make HP :bunny:

The setup I had on th Bimmer put the filter down behind the fog lights, also I had a Supersprint and a bored out TB, gained 10HP at the rear wheels, at 75 degree on dyno, but the best part was I gained also 19 lbs extra torgue, thru the rpm range starting around 4K rpm. this CAI has a aluminum heat shield so I dout it extends down to a point to get cold air, however if it sits where the present air box is the intake for the airbox comes from the grille into the box, so I am now thinking I have a KN filter already and the air entering the airbox is whatever the outside temp is and if you know how to use you climate control display you can get temp reading back to the intake manifold. As far as exhaust I probably go with a supersprint again as they sound nice. I'd leave the TB alone as Mercedes has done a good job with that and the two stage intake manifold. Thanks you know you intakes. One more thing I am thinking about getting some insulation wrap for the tube leading back to the TB, a lot of Tuner shops shell this stuff and it is supposed to kept the temps down as the air goes from the airbox to the TB.:)

BenzMeister
06-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by sorbo
not just on one day of the year, june 6 is just a week away. a friend of my moms grew up in germany, she still ducks/flinchs when she hears thunder, the bombing raids still fresh to her, it is one of the more disterbing things i've seen.

I'm not sure how to take the above, either your not a Veteran or you feelings for WW2 are mixed, I don't llike war, I was in Nam and killing is not fun, but remember WW2, Germany started the whole mess and lead by a mad-man they paid the price of defeat.

Fastmayte- someone who can bend your pipe is an exaust shop with a manderal (sp) bender, should not be to hard to find.

ricerokets4life
06-01-2004, 11:43 AM
i have a short ram type intake on my joint... i had to use a generic cone filter cuz i was scared about a faulty MAS/MAF. i tried making a CAI but the piping wouldn't fit down the little space behind the passenger side headlight to the bottom of the bumper. right now, its seems to running OK; i had it on for about 8-9 months.

in the next couple months, im hoping to create a CAI from that mandrel-bent steel tubing and by expanding that little space behind the headlight.

otherwise, youre best bet is to just stay STOCK. short ram basically only makes noise.

BenzMeister
06-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
i have a short ram type intake on my joint... i had to use a generic cone filter cuz i was scared about a faulty MAS/MAF. i tried making a CAI but the piping wouldn't fit down the little space behind the passenger side headlight to the bottom of the bumper. right now, its seems to running OK; i had it on for about 8-9 months.

in the next couple months, im hoping to create a CAI from that mandrel-bent steel tubing and by expanding that little space behind the headlight.

otherwise, youre best bet is to just stay STOCK. short ram basically only makes noise.

Your right about noise, but it does sound good, why I think a CAI might work on the V6 is the wide torque range of the engine, your sucking a lot of air for almost the whole rpm range. My son left me a note saying he found some of the insulation for the intake tubing, on line at some tuner site, he said it has aluminum wrap on the out a core fiber and some other material to hold it together, a special tape comes with it. He is going to email me the site later tonight, I check it out and see if it is cheap enough I might buy it and give it a try. I saw another interesting item on Ebay, it is called a Vortex and looks like that thing that is sold on the infommercials on TV but 12 the price. The idea of "shaking up" the air flow is sound, but I don't see these "things" doing that.

sorbo
06-01-2004, 01:41 PM
BenzMeister-
sorry my point was unclear. i am not a veteran, but having many family members and close family friends who have served in both times of war and peace I know the need to remember their service more than once a year (a point i was trying to make)...D-day being another important day to remember for many reasons...as for WWII the point i was trying to get at (with the woman and thunder) was that the marks left by the war are still fresh to people even 60 years later. her being german was just by chance (not sympithy to the german side), this was a simple little example of how the effects of war stay with people their whole life. those effects being somthing that i dont know and never want to know, it was disterbing to see it first hand.

i belilve the saying is that "WWII was the last good war". stopping germany and its mass genocide was in the largest sence of the word a must. your right "WW2, Germany started the whole mess and lead by a mad-man they paid the price of defeat."

sorry to the forum I would have PM but we dont have it.

ricerokets4life
06-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Your right about noise, but it does sound good, why I think a CAI might work on the V6 is the wide torque range of the engine, your sucking a lot of air for almost the whole rpm range. My son left me a note saying he found some of the insulation for the intake tubing, on line at some tuner site, he said it has aluminum wrap on the out a core fiber and some other material to hold it together, a special tape comes with it. He is going to email me the site later tonight, I check it out and see if it is cheap enough I might buy it and give it a try. I saw another interesting item on Ebay, it is called a Vortex and looks like that thing that is sold on the infommercials on TV but 12 the price. The idea of "shaking up" the air flow is sound, but I don't see these "things" doing that.

just a piece of advice: avoid the "vortex" and other things that say that they rearrange the air within the intake for better mileage, performance, or whatever. these things have been found to be of no help and sometimes even detrimental.

yeah, i heard about that intake that kind of looks like one of those old vacuum hoses. its blue or something? i dunno, try it out but the heat-resistance piping is definitely clutch.

BenzMeister
06-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by sorbo
BenzMeister-
sorry my point was unclear. i am not a veteran, but having many family members and close family friends who have served in both times of war and peace I know the need to remember their service more than once a year (a point i was trying to make)...D-day being another important day to remember for many reasons...as for WWII the point i was trying to get at (with the woman and thunder) was that the marks left by the war are still fresh to people even 60 years later. her being german was just by chance (not sympithy to the german side), this was a simple little example of how the effects of war stay with people their whole life. those effects being somthing that i dont know and never want to know, it was disterbing to see it first hand.

i belilve the saying is that "WWII was the last good war". stopping germany and its mass genocide was in the largest sence of the word a must. your right "WW2, Germany started the whole mess and lead by a mad-man they paid the price of defeat."

sorry to the forum I would have PM but we dont have it.

Thank you for the clarification, your a good American and we shouldn't forget our vets. It is about time by the way they have a WW II memorial. I'll post a PM

BenzMeister
06-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Thank you for the clarification, your a good American and we shouldn't forget our vets. It is about time by the way they have a WW II memorial. I'll post a PM

PS: For whatever reason I can't PM??