PDA

View Full Version : c36 problem help

delisi2322
06-02-2004, 09:02 AM
i have h&r springs and koni shocks and when i make hard turns my car feels like it is sliding everytime i turn and hit the littlest bump my whole car goes in a up and down motion and side to side like it cant grip to the road could it be my alignment shocks springs. any help would do i ahve a feeling it might be my alignment i am set at -1.5 all around is that correct? what should i set if thats wrong thanks the shocks are about 5 months old but the springs are about 7 months old :confused:

kameraguy
06-02-2004, 09:37 AM
We'll need more info on this.

How old are your suspension components?

How old are your tires? How much tread left and what kind/brand?

Was this always how your car handled? If not, when did this change and what changes were made (if any)?

We can only offer advice. But for sure have a local mechanic check it out.

Maybe you are just driving too fast ;) :D

delisi2322
06-02-2004, 09:56 AM
shocks are about 4-5 months old and springs are about 7-8months old i got brand new falken 451 tires bascially the car feels soft and not stiff im thinging it could either be the springs or the alignment when ever i even go through a little bump stright on it feels like its sliding and not gripping maybe its normal but i highly doubt it could it because of the ice in the trunk? my freind suggested that it could be to a heavy load in the back but it shouldnt even be as bad as it is thanks for the help i hope this enough info its kind of hard to explain without someone actually in the car feeling what im feeling

kameraguy
06-02-2004, 11:04 AM
When you hit a bump straight on, you feel sliding? Sliding sideways or forward?

How's your tire pressure btw?

Yeah, i've never felt sliding like this. Only when taking a corner hard, but it takes a lot to make the rear break loose.

Maybe some parts of your suspension is lose.

You should have a mechanic check this out asap.

delisi2322
06-02-2004, 11:15 AM
it slides sideways tire pressure is 35psi in fornt and 32 in back im getting a set of eibach springs in this week cut 1/2 a coil so when i put them in i'll double check all me bolts on my suspension could it be because i need an alignment? thanks

Rocky
06-02-2004, 11:22 AM
hmm..check the...

Steering dampner (cheap to replace, like 30 bucks)
Lower control arm bushing (common problem)
Installed front shocks in the rear and vice versa?

One thing I also notice is that with a C36 and wider tires, it doesn;t track as well on street because the street have grooves on them that cars with average sized tires create...our wider tires don;t track in those groves as well.

redc36
06-02-2004, 12:03 PM
i am experiencing exact same thing. But it my case alignment and lower control arm bushings is the reason. much more noticable when i switched to 245 for the rears.

btw in my manual for C36 it says 42psi in the rear and 33 in the front .
strange though

delisi2322
06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
i know i installed the shocks correctly how much is the lower control arm bushing and do i just take off the tire and check to see if damaged? whats the part number for it i think you guys might be right im going to change the steering dampner b/c 30 is pretty cheap where is it located ? post pic if possible? them i might as well change the bushings b/c red36 it sounds like we have the same problem and i probably do need an allignment what should i align my car to what specs? thanks a lot for your help guys

Rocky
06-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Steering dampner is underath the car. Looks like a shock but mounted sideways.

Lower control arm bushing is a tuffie. Took me a good 4-5 hours (mostly because I had to create a custom tool to pop those bushing out of the lower control arm) Defintely not a do it yourselfer, I did it at a garage i use to work at.

Check the lower controla arm bushing by raising the car up and take a crow bar and see if you can move the control arm where the bushing is connected. You can also visiually see it as well if it's up in the air.

delisi2322
06-02-2004, 12:57 PM
are the bushings expensive? what kind of tool did you use? i have a garage full of tools do you think i'll have a really hard time doing it? so i just check to see if the bushing moves when i raise the comtrol arm with the crobar if able to then its no go? thanks a lot for the help

delisi2322
06-02-2004, 12:58 PM
sorry this also happens when the roads are flatt but i do know what you mean about the grooves