PDA

View Full Version : Wash and Detail Engine Then A/C wont work

crsh2
06-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Hello Guru's My First post should have been an introduction about myself and my 1996 C280 being a proud owner, And I am happy with my purchase.

I detailed the whole car including the Engine Compartment because it was Filty but now my A/C seem to work when it wants to. When i Turn it on it blows hot air, sometimes after a few minutes it blows cold air then it gets hot again...:(

Any Ideas What went wrong? Friend said this cars Engines is ment to be dirty and most C class owner who washes there
engine compartment gets this problem?Is This True :confused:
I did the search but no luck

Please Help
Thanks in Advance
Crsh2

Andrew C280
06-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Just like you I washed my engine down when I got the car and it screw up stuff, I took it to the dealer and they drove it hard for a while fixed up all the problems you might want to drive it and get i nice and warm befor you proceed with any freekouts on repairs.

now I never wash my engine lesson learn't

delisi2322
06-02-2004, 05:43 PM
im guessing so dont hold me to this. in a lot of benz when you wash the car water seems to get in through the front passenger side windshield when i go to car washes in my area they know to soak that side with the least amount of water as possible after washing my car a few times at cars washes my hEAT OR AC would turn on by itself and then about 2hrs later it would turn off and never come on again just try to avoid getting water on the front passenger side windsheild hope that help dont know why a benz would have that problem since they are so expensive to buy anyone else have this problem

Rocky
06-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Is the air temp of the side vents different then the center vents and then after time they become the same?

If so, it's the mono valve that's broken. It's like a diaphram thing if i remember correctly that helps control the temp between the side vents and the center vents.

VERY expensive to replace.

If i can remmeber correctly, it sits on the firewall, engine side with 2 black tubes attached to it. You should be able to see it from the engine bay.

Andrew C280
06-02-2004, 05:55 PM
i think there is a flap or something to stop water from getting in there, on the passanger side is the intake for the cabin air. Also should be a drain, i have never had a problem with the ac and i wash my car about 2 times per week.

Kswiss
06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
i don't know if this helps, but i was told "NEVER to steam clean my engine" ....

crsh2
06-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
Is the air temp of the side vents different then the center vents and then after time they become the same?

If so, it's the mono valve that's broken. It's like a diaphram thing if i remember correctly that helps control the temp between the side vents and the center vents.

VERY expensive to replace.

Hello Thanks for all the respond.

As for mono valve maybe not, The temp on side and center vent is the same.

I notice the Difference when it A/C start to work, there is like an extra blower or some sort i hear a Fan blow harder...

Hopefully when the engine gets heat up properly like what
Andrew C280 Said it will start to work..

I appreciate all the Reponse that was fast..

Still a happy Owner and happy to have Found this Site..

Thank you
crsh2

714guy
06-03-2004, 01:15 PM
check the vaccum hoses uder the intake manifold, they're little small hoses that sometimes falls.

crsh2
06-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
check the vaccum hoses uder the intake manifold, they're little small hoses that sometimes falls.

the hoses is okay nothing is off.. I'm Convince its something Electrical as of right Now it works as long as i press auto and dont touch the fan level, If i try to lower the fan it shuts off again..

Hope it gets better everyday..:werd:

adamt
06-03-2004, 08:45 PM
for the water comming inside car on passenger side, check the drain for the wiper cowling. on the c class, the blower draws air inside from just under the glass. to fully access the drain you need to remove the cowling but you may be able to access the drain from the outside of the box. it is a black tube at the lowest part of the cowling rear of the passenger strut tower. had a 98 c230 that i pulled 2 gallons of water from under the carpet. the drain was plugged with debris.

coolcarlskic43
06-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by crsh2
Hello Guru's My First post should have been an introduction about myself and my 1996 C280 being a proud owner, And I am happy with my purchase.

I detailed the whole car including the Engine Compartment because it was Filty but now my A/C seem to work when it wants to. When i Turn it on it blows hot air, sometimes after a few minutes it blows cold air then it gets hot again...:(

Any Ideas What went wrong? Friend said this cars Engines is ment to be dirty and most C class owner who washes there
engine compartment gets this problem?Is This True :confused:
I did the search but no luck

Please Help
Thanks in Advance
Crsh2 Could it be low on freon?