PDA

View Full Version : Help -> Replacing OEM black gauges for white one

Pablo7
06-03-2004, 03:05 PM
my car came with the gauges (speedometer, rpm, fuel and temp) in black.
i am aware that the amg versions, and the sport ones come with the gauges in white, and the only diference between them is the amg in the middle, and the km/h showing (280 in c43):D

i wanted to scan my oem gauges with the computer scanner, and with a program to edit pictures such as photoshop, change the color and fonts, print it in hi quality paper and attach it to my oem gauges.
but in order to imitate the amg or sport ones, i will need to find the exact font name used in the numbers, and that´s where i need help.

Does anyone know the name of the font used? or maybe someone has a pic in hi res of their white gauges and i can copy paste the numbers, or maybe someone has his white gauges scanned?
and finally, has anyone tried it?
thankx a lot, bye!

Kswiss
06-03-2004, 03:11 PM
nice, good idea...... if it works out let me know!!! I'll buy one off you....also why not try making your own font ? possibly a better one? if you want some ideas i have some....but they are not exactly the same....what are you going to do about the needles? the orange needles wont look right against the ivory faced gauges...

Pablo7
06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
instead of putting a new font i would like imitating the oem white one. that´s what i´m looking for with no luck. :(
i will continue searching and waiting if someone that reads this post can help me.
about the needles, once i´ve donde the other work i´ll focus on them. maybe trying to paint them in black and white? (black in the borders and white inthe middle) with a paint that lets the light work.

Kswiss
06-03-2004, 03:29 PM
FYI, the faces are not white...their more of an Ivory color....

SLAMMED_C
06-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I know WALD sells white face gauges for the W202.. but they are something like $4-600.. and there is a company that makes just replacement gauge faces in white.. Gauge faces (http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?productname=NR+Gauge+Faces&productid=104312&producttype=20) .. but the easiest thing to do may be to buy a used cluster.. well easy if you can find one!

Pablo7
06-03-2004, 06:52 PM
but i beleive used cluster keep the kms from the car they came from.
i dont think it would be a good idea considering my car has 20.000km
i will keep trying to find the right font or a good pic and do it myself
thankx anyway

Kswiss
06-03-2004, 07:02 PM
i know i can get a used cluster..but dont know what to do with it after...i hate paying for people install it for me...thats what i get for not going to autoshop in hs...

SLAMMED_C
06-03-2004, 07:07 PM
but i beleive used cluster keep the kms from the car they came from.
i dont think it would be a good idea considering my car has 20.000km
i will keep trying to find the right font or a good pic and do it myself
thankx anyway
well if you replace your cluster with the one with the white face gauges.. yes it will have whatever KM that are on the new cluster.. but, if you take both clusters apart and transfer just each individual gauge over from cluster to cluster, the base of each cluster will retain the km on it. you will just transfer over the gauges that will now be white faced.
and its really easy to take out the cluster and disassemble it. so no need to pay someone to do it.

Pablo7
06-03-2004, 08:06 PM
thankx for your reply, but i´ll try to do it myself because where i´m from i haven´t found any used amg or sport gauges.
i´ll keep trying to find the font or a good resolution pic
bye

MrSpace
06-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Steve MbenzNL has a white non amg one for sale I think

Etienne

Kswiss
06-06-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by MrSpace
Steve MbenzNL has a white non amg one for sale I think

Etienne

He has the faces only or the whole cluster?

MrSpace
06-06-2004, 04:53 PM
complete cluster

you can swap the guages

Etienne

MrSpace
06-06-2004, 04:54 PM
oops, forgot to tell it was in km/h and you'Re in L.A.

Etienne