PDA

View Full Version : Right blinker help!

slugger
06-05-2004, 12:25 PM
1996 C280

Last night my right blinkers just stopped working. When I engage the right ones, they are simply dead with no response. The left ones are fine.

I tested the bulbs by switching them to the left side, and the right bulbs still work fine on the left side.

I am thinking this could be a fuse? If so, is it possible that one fuse would be dedicated to just the right blinkers, front and rear? Maybe something else is affected which I have not yet found?

Could it be a relay? If it is a fuse or a relay, where would it be located?

Thanks!

KenzBenz
06-05-2004, 12:43 PM
possibly a relay or something...i have the same problem with my foglights...anyone know?

audiophile
06-05-2004, 01:09 PM
that happend to me , but all of my stalk controls stopped working changed the fuse and everything was working fine. i would check the fuse to make sure. replace it even though it looks fine.

slugger
06-05-2004, 01:41 PM
I haven't even begun to seek out the boxes. Can you point me in the right direction of which fuse box to start with? I can't find anything in the manual.

Thanks!

slugger
06-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Okay, here's the update...

I did manage to find my way around the fuses, etc...

It is definitely not a fuse issue. When I located and changed the turn signal fuse, the left one still works fine and the right one is still not working.

I am going to try the relays next, but it's weird because if it was a realy issue, wouldn't a lot more than the right blinkers be out? Even if the relay was faultering, I would think it would not only isolate one item.

Also, I am not sure which relay would control those blinkers. I would love to sort this out tonight!

slugger
06-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Here's what's so bizzarre...

With the lights on in first position or second, the right blinker actually lights up. Which to me means that the connection at least must be fine to the blinker and the fuses and relay all seem in order.

It just won't blink, front or back right. So weird.

mbsickness
06-05-2004, 06:05 PM
What happens when you turn on the hazzard lights? I would guess that something has gone south in the stalk itself...just my guess.

slowpoke
06-05-2004, 09:28 PM
speaking of hazard lights, mine dont blink regularly. what i mean is that when i switch them on, they flash but irregularly. my turn signal lights do the same thing...any ideas?

slugger
06-06-2004, 03:21 AM
Hazzards work perfectly - front and back.

Is there a blinker switch or something? Somehow the message from the right blinker being switched on is not getting to the light.

SLAMMED_C
06-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Let me get this right.. the turn signals work fine front and rear on the left side.. and the arrow blinks in the cluster.. but the right front and rear turn signals do not work..but the arrow blinks in the cluster??
and you say you've checked the fuse.. and the relay. the only other things I can think of are a common ground for the front and rear turn signal.. but you say the hazards work ok left and right, front and rear. the only other thing is the actual combination switch (turn signal arm that comes out the steering shaft)

nbb925
06-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by slowpoke
speaking of hazard lights, mine dont blink regularly. what i mean is that when i switch them on, they flash but irregularly. my turn signal lights do the same thing...any ideas?

On my 89 190e same thing happened. I dont know about the w202s but on the 190e, when a turnsignal goes out, the turnsignal that is out will flash irregularly as a warning to replace it. Sometimes the car malfunctions and thinks that the light is out causing the irreg signaling.

slugger
06-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Yup Slammed_C, you got it.

There has to be either another fuse I haven't identified, a relay in the trunk, or somehow the combination switch when turned to the right isn't working properly.

I am going to be making an appointment with a mechanic tomorrow to get in as soon as possible. This guy has done tons of electrical work on my BMW in the past, so hopefully he'll figure it out on the Mercedes.

I'll post next week sometime if and when it's done.

slugger
06-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Well, it was in fact the combination switch.

Dealer wanted 3 hours of labor and $150 for the part, which would have totaled $450.

I bought the part online and had it overnighted for $95 total and my guy installed it for $100.

So, for almost $200, my freakin' blinker now works!

speedybenz
06-16-2004, 10:24 PM
slugger, do you have the part number for that relay as I have the same problem with my c43.

Thanks,

Jeff

slugger
06-17-2004, 02:16 AM
Jeff,

Make sure to call ahead before the order, but I think your combination switch/turn signal is:
P3010-99218

Here's one link to a place that has them for the 99 C43 ...

http://www.autopartsworld.com/1999_mercedes-benz_c-43-amg_combination-switch_parts.html

Greg