PDA

View Full Version : C36 Help!!!

nbb925
06-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Im looking at a 96 C36... is 10k for a pristine 2owner stock C36 w/78k and all the records a good deal? I know kbb and edmunds place it at 16-18k range... I own a slew of cars already but Ive never owned an amg and I really don't know what to expect...

What should a 1996 c36 idle around? Are there any common problems with the car? Anything to look out for?

I know that the car is pretty much as modded as it can get... but is there anything I can do to beef it up to 300hp? Any suggestions? Any suggested mods?

Rocky
06-06-2004, 08:30 AM
650 or so

nbb925
06-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks Rocky... really appreciate that.

Are there any common problems I should look out for?

Rocky
06-06-2004, 10:04 AM
For a 1995 common problem,

Engine wiring harness (very common)
Head gasket (very common)
Mass Air sensor (very common)
Lower control arm bushings (very common)
Belt tensioner (common)
OVP (common)

That's just off the top of my head. Do a search.

nbb925
06-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey, thanks again Rocky.

I actually dont own the car yet... I'm starting to get buyers remorse... even though I dont own the car yet!?!?!

Do you think a 96 C36 2 owners, pristine condition w/ all records, 78k, completely stock for $10k is a good deal?

martattack
06-06-2004, 10:46 AM
That's good that it has all the records. You should look through them and see what has been replaced. Particularly look for the head gasket and wiring harness. Those can be very expensive replacements that will inevitably fail. Fortunately, if they have been replaced, you won't need to worry about them because they new harness and head gasket has been updated so it doesn't fail as easily

nbb925
06-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
That's good that it has all the records. You should look through them and see what has been replaced. Particularly look for the head gasket and wiring harness. Those can be very expensive replacements that will inevitably fail. Fortunately, if they have been replaced, you won't need to worry about them because they new harness and head gasket has been updated so it doesn't fail as easily

I do know for a fact that it has been maticulously maintaned, but the headgasket and harness have not been replaced...

The car has been maintained by the same shop/guy since its original purchase from the dealer. So thats pretty good, the mechanic seems to know the car pretty damn well since hes been maintaining it for 6-7 years. The guy im buying it from has owned the car for 4 years. He bought it with 22k and it now has 78k. No accidents, always kept in an a/c controlled garrage. Only scratch it has on it is on the bumper - he mounted a bike rack (WTF!?!?!?!) and the pedal scratched the bumper... WHY THE F WOULD YOU PUT A BIKE RACK ON A C36!?!?!?!?!?!

The guy keeps pushing the date back... we originally set on Saturday - I call him, he then says Sunday... I just got off the phone with him and hes now saying Monday.... DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!:mad:

kameraguy
06-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by nbb925
WHY THE F WOULD YOU PUT A BIKE RACK ON A C36!?!?!?!?!?!

Because some of us like to get to the trails faster :D

As for idle, my car idles at 500 rpm, but fluctuates between 450 and 600 sometimes. i don't the fluctuation is normal. But I haven't found a mechanic who can figure out why this is.

As for good deal, it'sa good deal if you don't mind the ownership costs of a C36. It's prone to the same tranny/headgasket/MAS/idle issues a lot of us have experienced. Have you done a search for C36 repairs?

Not to say I don't like my car. Just a heads up as I learned about all this stuff the hard way.

What I'll also say is get an extended warranty. This is a must.

nbb925
06-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy

As for good deal, it'sa good deal if you don't mind the ownership costs of a C36. It's prone to the same tranny/headgasket/MAS/idle issues a lot of us have experienced. Have you done a search for C36 repairs?

Not to say I don't like my car. Just a heads up as I learned about all this stuff the hard way.

What I'll also say is get an extended warranty. This is a must. [/B]

Im prepared for the maintence costs - I own a couple other benzes, although none of them are AMGs. I think im going to go for it... drive it around for a little while, maybe the summer and turn it around I guess?

Can I slap a turbo/supercharger on there. I was looking at rentech stuff, they are kinda costly... anybody have experience with them?

SLAMMED_C
06-06-2004, 02:50 PM
things to look out for are... MAS, Headgasket, Waterpump, Engine Wire Harness...
sounds like a good deal though.
I would say between 5-600 rpm at idle.

as for bolt on performance.... Mosselman twin turbo!!
Mosselman Turbo (http://www.mosselmanturbo.com/index2.htm)

nbb925
06-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Slammed_C... how much did that nav unit cost? Was it hard to install? Is it just the unit is it a full nav setup? Where did you put the antenna?

SLAMMED_C
06-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Slammed_C... how much did that nav unit cost? Was it hard to install? Is it just the unit is it a full nav setup? Where did you put the antenna?
The nav unit was $1450.. it came with everything needed to install it. it was somewhat difficult as I needed to modify the whole radio din support.. that took 3 days of work to do. the antenna is inbetween the centre dash vent and the dash pad.