PDA

View Full Version : Car key did not want to get in position 1...

MrSpace
06-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Go to a club, get out a 2 am, the key works for opening the door, but I could not turn it at all. Tried everything, did not work. I could not hear the lock in the steering that usually click into place when you remove the key and unlocks when you put the jey in. I was able to turn the wheel even without the key.

Call roadside assistance of MB... They send a platform to tow it.

The guy arrives and says "oh, it's just that, no need for towing, happens all the time". He gets in the car, starts putting the key in and out like 50 times, also hitting the place where you put your key with the metal clip of the seat belt..

Then it finally worked. He says it often jams like that and after playing with it it gets ok.

That's crazy.

I'm getting the car at the dealer for service this friday I'll talk to them about this issue.

Etienne

GDawgC220
06-09-2004, 04:22 AM
was the steering wheel locked? that causes the ignition to be locked as well, just have to play with the steering wheel to unlock it so that it can start.

MrSpace
06-09-2004, 04:35 AM
no the steering wheel wasn't locked, when entering or removing the key, it did not lock/unlock the steering wheel.

Etienne

jnolte
06-13-2004, 12:53 AM
happened to me today also.

these MB keys piss me off, they are cool but prone to break.

if the batteryin my key is going out, could this be a reason for it not reading my key sometimes?

MrSpace
06-14-2004, 04:32 AM
my battery is ok.

I ordered a new key (278$ CAD - ouch)

They will test, but the parts buy says it happened a couple of times and it was never the key, but always the reader on the car. The reader is on my extended warranty if it's the reader that's broken.

Etienne

ryhi
06-21-2004, 12:30 AM
same things been happening to me lately!!! it goes in..but u dont hear the click..and u arent able to turn it!!! WTF!??! oh yeah...jnolte...the key doesnt even need to have batteries in it for it to go into the ignition and work...

MrSpace
06-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
same things been happening to me lately!!! it goes in..but u dont hear the click..and u arent able to turn it!!! WTF!??! oh yeah...jnolte...the key doesnt even need to have batteries in it for it to go into the ignition and work...

my new key is on order. The parts guy was absolutely SURE that it wasn't the jkey. As you said, the part guys told me it was an engraved code in the key that the car reader reads (so no information is sent from the key to the car). He told me all the times this happened it was the reader.

If my new key doesn't make the problem go away, they will change the car reader under my extended warranty ($$)

Etienne