PDA

View Full Version : Window Trim

Kswiss
06-09-2004, 10:54 AM
I have a black (040) ...and the window trim has turned a purplish color...I have heard this is due to the chemicals used during carwashes.....

How much will it cost to replace these items?
Does anybody else have this problem?

Taplin06
06-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Well I have no idea!

But its pretty scary thinking that everytime you wash your car to make it look nicer, you could be messing it up in long run!

:confused: Gives you something to think about the next time you pull into the car wash.

Kswiss
06-09-2004, 11:05 AM
WELL THANKS FOR HELP GUY! lol

Yeah, i have earned my lesson and now washing my own car from now on. I just need to know how much its goign to cost me to replace. I live about 35-45 min away from the nearest dealer and i can only go to the dealer at peak traffic hours. So it's very hard for me to get there and ask for info...this is whatyou guys are for!!!

Taplin06
06-09-2004, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry I am no help..

But I have to ask, what sort of chemicals would do this? I go to this self service car wash about once every 2 days.

Does anyone have any input on this sort of thing? Does anyone use Mr. CleanAutoDry, is it good?

Thanks! :)

Kswiss
06-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Mr clean auto dry sounds very nice.....seems like you can wash your car in under 10 min....i think it will work though...
There's a place in Brea, Ca. that uses purified water (i think) to wash your own car for like 2 dollars...all you do is put the water on, soap the car and rinse off again with the water and it dries by itself with no spots. Similar to mr clean auto dry no?

Some guy told me that the chemicals they use in the wax /soap makes this window trim turn like this.

HOW MUCH is the replacement??? ANYONE KNOW?

MBenzNL
06-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Taplin06
But its pretty scary thinking that everytime you wash your car to make it look nicer, you could be messing it up in long run!
:confused: Gives you something to think about the next time you pull into the car wash.
...something I have been telling everybody for years already...stop washing cars too freaking often!!!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwAAAAIUTKdLJPk8cajFK2wKFPlA0rFvuS1l7VGMyJgjbbntI zjkpxX8jtDttPMqJ1L5z*yXmJ!Zo!BqqtPo8tP05lQxGX*KdhJ nR*7BJOs/blacky17.jpg?dc=4675401363509117023
...nothing ruined by washing here...

Originally posted by kswiss
HOW MUCH is the replacement??? ANYONE KNOW?
WAY too much to even be thinking about it!!!

greetingz,

Taplin06
06-09-2004, 03:07 PM
:eek:

That looks horrible!!

I better quit the excessive car washing...

Eurosport
06-09-2004, 03:13 PM
i know this is not for MB but you might wanna try
here's the info

BMW responds to window moldings complaints

BMW has issued Service Bulletin B51 53 02 to its dealers about discoloration in carwashes of the glossy black side window moldings on the BMW X5 with the Sport Package.

The moldings are anodized aluminum, not painted, and can be discolored due to deposits on the trim caused by car washes, hard water or environmental fallout. The bulletin states that the corrective action to remove the discoloration is by polishing with a quality swirl-removing polish such as Meguiars #9, Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover or 3M Swirl Mark Remover. However, X5Monkey's recommendation is to use Car Brite Power Pak.

from X5world.com

Kswiss
06-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Eurosport
i know this is not for MB but you might wanna try
here's the info

BMW responds to window moldings complaints

BMW has issued Service Bulletin B51 53 02 to its dealers about discoloration in carwashes of the glossy black side window moldings on the BMW X5 with the Sport Package.

The moldings are anodized aluminum, not painted, and can be discolored due to deposits on the trim caused by car washes, hard water or environmental fallout. The bulletin states that the corrective action to remove the discoloration is by polishing with a quality swirl-removing polish such as Meguiars #9, Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover or 3M Swirl Mark Remover. However, X5Monkey's recommendation is to use Car Brite Power Pak.

from X5world.com

Thanks...will try soon..!!!!!!!!!!