PDA

View Full Version : Tip tronic tranny for 202

MBATF
05-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Did any of you guys know that w202 offered Tip-tronic tanny for US modle or not? anyone? cuz i didn't know teh tip tronic was even avalible for w202!!!!!!!:(

nokia8860
05-29-2003, 04:28 PM
i think they started it in 2000.

kameraguy
05-30-2003, 09:25 AM
If you actually mean "autostick" (tap left and right ala Dodge), then yes, it was eventually offered on the w202 (as well as the rest of the MB lineup with auto trannys). Blah!!!

Tiptronic should have been the way to go. I dunno what crazy engineer's idea was it to go the left-right route.

If it works for Porsche and other racing cars, why mess with a good thing???

I hate seeing how the newer MBs are becoming more like domestics :(

nokia8860
05-30-2003, 10:22 AM
nothing replaces full manual.

Renn 208
05-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by nokia8860
nothing replaces full manual.

except for a full automatic:p

kameraguy
05-30-2003, 11:52 AM
call me new school, but I believe in the new sequential gearboxes. If it's good enough for F1, then i'd take a clutchless manual in my car!

Maybe the versions available for our cars aren't that great, but eventually a "perfect" system will become a reality.

Of course if manual shifting with a clutch is prefered, there will be no substitute for that experience.

If the intent is to have the fastest method of shifting gears, then I support how technology is offering solutions which may be "out of the box thinking" a few years ago, but is becoming quite the norm nowadays.

But i've never had a full manual car before, so i'm not the typical car enthusiast. I can understand traditional types never desiring the newer manumatics.

nokia8860
05-30-2003, 12:08 PM
true that it all depends on drivers. put a manny with a so so driver against a so so driver in an auto and the guy in the auto will win and 1320.

All the power in the world aint gonna help if you cant get it in its powerband.

But there is nothing that replaces the feeling of smashing it into gear. Double clutching in a turn. And just that instant downshift that you get with a manual.

Call me old school but my left foot needs that clutch.

:bunny:

Of course nothing gainst autos (see i didnt even call them slush box... ok well now i did to point that out :p ) but im just saying rowing gears is what I love to do. And yes I did the I-80 SFBay Area communte for over 10 years in a 5 speed so I know whats it like for stop and go and its not all that different than stop and go with an auto.

Long live the stick! Darn shame the c32 isnt offered with the 6speed. So if anything the kompressor r0cks!

Luwin1026
05-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Rowing through gears is awesome, heel-toeing, and blipping the throttle before easing the clutch out on a turn, fun stuff.

People have always told me that driving manual in traffic is a PITA, but it becomes second nature.

Plus, if you got a nice, precise shifter, a quick flick of the wrist will do. :D

nokia8860
05-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Luwin1026

Plus, if you got a nice, precise shifter, a quick flick of the wrist will do. :D

Short Shift Kit. Dis is all you need to have some fun!

and true it is second nature. i cant begin to tell you how many times after i got the 202 that when i go to start the car my left foot goes straight to the floor cuz its thinking clutch

Luwin1026
05-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Short Shift Kit. Dis is all you need to have some fun!

and true it is second nature. i cant begin to tell you how many times after i got the 202 that when i go to start the car my left foot goes straight to the floor cuz its thinking clutch

Dude, get yourself a 203 w/ the 6-speed. Or a 337 would do. But I know you an old skool guy, so maybe MKII?

You can start cluboldskool.com and I can join with the Bimmer. By the way, don't tell Fad, but I got some neat stuff coming up for it, barring any unforeseen obstacles. :D

nokia8860
05-30-2003, 12:33 PM
lu, your cousins s4 is a 6 right? that car is a hoot to drive!

Luwin1026
05-30-2003, 12:37 PM
lu, your cousins s4 is a 6 right? that car is a hoot to drive!

Nope. He got an auto. :(

The kit is off the car and he is raising it - looks like he no likey anymore? :confused:

pnsji
05-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Nope. He got an auto. :(

The kit is off the car and he is raising it - looks like he no likey anymore? :confused:

time for new S4!!!

speedybenz
05-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Even the racing Superbikes I rode had shifters that did not require the clutch except on the dwonshifts and starts.

We had an electronic control system that cut off the ignition for a milisecond so you could just stab at the gear shift and keep it full throttle.

I think the new auto-shift manuals are great.

Jeff

Ozzie Bob
05-31-2003, 12:56 AM
i think they started it in 2000. Indeed they did! :) My mom used to have a C200 (2000 model) and it had a 5sp TipTronic box in it! :cool: Was still incredibly slow though :( Otherwise, I would have bought it - was 744 too :D :p

WeatherMan
06-26-2003, 08:10 AM
Granny tranny rules!!! Unless you're racing, of course...

Recaro18
06-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Dude, get yourself a 203 w/ the 6-speed. Or a 337 would do. But I know you an old skool guy, so maybe MKII?

You can start cluboldskool.com and I can join with the Bimmer. By the way, don't tell Fad, but I got some neat stuff coming up for it, barring any unforeseen obstacles. :D

yes yes...cluboldskool...i'll join my MK2.....come on joey, start one....!!!!:D

http://www.jwelty.com/jwelty3/rickys-mk2-1.jpg

kameraguy
06-26-2003, 09:27 AM
All i'm saying is....tap left...tap right....GHEY!

MrSpace
06-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
If the intent is to have the fastest method of shifting gears, then I support how technology is offering solutions which may be "out of the box thinking" a few years ago, but is becoming quite the norm nowadays.

did you read on the new transmission from Audi?

where you have two systems, one for gears 1 3 5 and one for 2 4 6?

when you roll in 1st, the second is already ready so you can change it REAL fast going up the gears.

I read this in the EVO mag, but there are probably many articles on the net on this.

Etienne

kameraguy
06-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Are you talking about the Audi CVT system?

Too bad it doesn't support quattro yet....but it is the way to go as far as what I understand the benefits to be.

Renn 208
06-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I still wish that Subie would make a consumer version of their WRC tranny

mmm clutchless shifting from 6 directly to reverse or 1 in the blink of an eye....and all the way up or down through the gears just as fast...now that's sexy.

got_wake
06-21-2005, 03:24 PM
i was in a 2005 vw golf today, farkin ugly. it was auto/tip and when it was in auto it seamed to never change gears, i wasnt drivin, but it just seamed so odd is that the new audi system in there?

c280nz
06-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Autos are ghay..... period.
and as with all those modern driving aids
drivers skill is becoming errevelent these days, you have computers driving ur car.
well thats my thoughts. no offence intended

got_wake
06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
fair enuf, but man u know how hard it is to get a manual c class wit a decent engen in it in NZ, (P.S il buy your car i got bout 8spot from sellin my sounds out my car, ay ay sounds like a deal) - yo you serious bout throwin a blower on ur 202? im lookin at a 97 280, it touch shift but hey it one step closer to the manual i want but just dont have much time 2 piss around waitin for one to come up ya nameeen!

HavoK
07-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Even the racing Superbikes I rode had shifters that did not require the clutch except on the dwonshifts and starts.

We had an electronic control system that cut off the ignition for a milisecond so you could just stab at the gear shift and keep it full throttle.

Jeff

You could do that with your standard road going superbike except u'd have to manually dip the throttle.

now if they made a version of a superbike gearbox for car that was manual instead of these electronic ones that would be something.
electronic boxes are still not quicker than a manual. recent tests with the new Golf GTIs and their new DSG boxes(rated to be one of the best) still put them behind manual on the 1/4mile even tho VW claimed quicker times. think the problem was more down to engine management, gear engagement from standstill.

My W202 C240 has the 5spd tiptronic box and yup.. its boring but sure as hell is a pleasure to drive in traffic and long distance. Dont think MB intended their cars to be traffic light racers

smartkey
08-03-2005, 06:32 AM
I think that as time goes on Manu-matics will get better

BMW's SMG ( Sequential Manual Gearbox)

VW's DSG (Direct Sequential Gearbox)

Are just the latest version of an old idea which is taking a manual and taking the clutch away. The big woop there.

As for slush boxes with manual modes you guy are missing the point.

Full automatic is always the faster than manual mode.

Manual mode has its advantage when you are driving on the back roads when you can down shift in to a corner which and spool the revs up for the exit. this will make you faster be cause you have more control over the car than in full automatic mode.

Until you actually drive a manu- matic on a twisty back road you won't really get it . I have a 99 Passat with tip tronic and I mostly just leave it in drive but when I am late I put it in tip mode and this allows me to have better choice of the gears for cornering.

speedybenz
08-03-2005, 11:10 AM
I understand that the new MB trans, even when in manual mode still will not hold a gear when the rpm gets to the redline. Now that is sick. I would sell my freakin car if it would not hold a gear. With my car now I can run it into the limiter and it will not shift. At least I got that going for me!

Jeff

smartkey
08-04-2005, 06:16 AM
Running up to redline in any gear is not the best thing to do.

All tip trannys have that fail safe that it will up shift at maximum engine speed to prevent possible valve float from overspinning or bouncing off the rev limiter.

So this is no new added feature.

Speedy why would you want to run you engine up till the rev limiter kicks in anyway.

The key to getting your car as quick as possible is to keep it in the power band or the rpm range where the most hp and torque is produced.

The is one of the concepts that a CVT transmission is based on.

unHookt
08-08-2005, 03:48 PM
just spent some time driving a new m3 convertible with the SMG trannie. Fun to drive once going, a little rough when you put it in full automatic though. Shifts like crap in "A" mode. Also, try parallel parking on a serious grade without a clutch - it's a true bitch.

I have no complaints about dropping my automatic a gear or two if/when necessary. Slap shift is fine for the car I drive...

just my two cents.