PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake?

jstrat85
06-14-2004, 07:50 PM
do you guys think if i put a cold air intake on my car i would cause damage to my motor???:( :(

jnolte
06-15-2004, 01:27 AM
not the motor, maybe the maf

SpEeDy230
06-15-2004, 09:18 AM
I have an cold air intake in the C with no problems.

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/120813310156421200453905PM.jpg

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/120813310156421200454357PM.jpg

Jnolte: do you think it may cause damage to my MAF.

hvmercy
06-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by SpEeDy230
I have an cold air intake in the C with no problems.

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/120813310156421200454357PM.jpg

Jnolte: do you think it may cause damage to my MAF.

SpEeDy230: I wonder what would happen to your car when you
drive in the rain. You're basically sucking in a lot of moisture/water into your intake. You have that intake filter
way down low.
Did you ever consider this as potential problem?

hvmercy
06-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
not the motor, maybe the maf

I concur.

Rocky
06-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by hvmercy
SpEeDy230: I wonder what would happen to your car when you
drive in the rain. You're basically sucking in a lot of moisture/water into your intake. You have that intake filter
way down low.
Did you ever consider this as potential problem?

Hydro lock baby!

K&N killed ma MAS too!

jnolte
06-15-2004, 11:22 AM
speedy how long have u had the CAI on your car?

yes Hydro lock would be the worst, MAF faluire the best

adelaros
06-15-2004, 11:33 AM
I dont think it rain in Vegas!!

hvmercy
06-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by adelaros
I dont think it rain in Vegas!!

:silly: LOL, he'd better not drive to SE like Houston. 100+ inches
of rain a year...

SpEeDy230
06-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I had the CAI for about 4 months. It has great performance and a Killer sound. It hardly rains here that why we are in the drought season. If it does rain I have an emergency rain sheild I can put in the front bumper. And I also have the choice of taking the wagon out when it rains.

jstrat85
06-15-2004, 07:23 PM
so what do u guys think should i do it? if its going to cause damage i dont want to put on then! esp if its going to blow my sensor! :(

Rocky
06-16-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by jstrat85
so what do u guys think should i do it? if its going to cause damage i dont want to put on then! esp if its going to blow my sensor! :(

Ummm take the chance at a $300 replacement or still with the stock filter? I stuck with the stock filter after losing my MAS once.

714guy
06-16-2004, 09:02 AM

I say just keep it stock, I had an intake with a heat shield before and it doesn't perform as well as the stock setup. If anything route tubing from the bumper to the stock air box. Look at the Honda tuners Mugen, Spoon and Comptech all their air boxes are like that, they dont have CAI.

cyclocross
06-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 714guy
I say just keep it stock.

I agree. Unless one is ready to make extensive mods to the engine there will be little to gain by cobbling up a CAI.

jstrat85
06-20-2004, 04:10 PM
did you guys have the cone with pipe or did you just have the cone. some people decide that they can make them themselfs and thats how they blow there sensors. how much is thye sensor? the company how makes this intake is called B&B i spoke to them and they told me that they guarantee me thats it not going to mess up my sensor!:( i dont know should i do it?:(

714guy
06-21-2004, 08:17 AM
did you guys have the cone with pipe or did you just have the cone. some people decide that they can make them themselfs and thats how they blow there sensors. how much is thye sensor? the company how makes this intake is called B&B i spoke to them and they told me that they guarantee me thats it not going to mess up my sensor!:( i dont know should i do it?:(

the MAS is about $300.

MBDragracer
06-25-2004, 06:30 AM
Here's B&B's "guaranteed" CAI unit. What do y'all think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=7907621936&rd=1

10% baseline increase in torque and HP, that's a pretty bold statement. That's like an extra 20+ HP for my car...just don't make any sense.

speedybenz
06-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Based on my exprience that type of CAI just will not provide an increase.

Better to leave the stock airbox and then duct a ram air setup to the stock box pulling air off the bumper area.

This type of setup on my 99C280 netted a very good gain. Sorry no dyno info.

Jeff

ricerokets4life
06-26-2004, 08:26 PM
the stock setup draws air from adjacent to the passenger side headlight housing, if im not mistaken. doesnt that technically make it a ram air type air intake?

Ahmad
06-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
the stock setup draws air from adjacent to the passenger side headlight housing, if im not mistaken. doesnt that technically make it a ram air type air intake?
yes it does, and if you wana modify it, you have to work on making the air flow easier, try to make the flow straight if you can, and you can also make the front of the housing bigger to get more cold air, also you can get a replacement k&n filter, but some body says that the maf sensor is very delicate to dust so:rolleyes:
but i think that there is no lack of good air supplied to the engine in many mercedes models unlike other cars, they are always working on this, like the torque of its engines, mercedes is always thinking about torque thats why you find that the mercedes torque exeeds its hp, and thats why the prefers to stay using the 3 valves per cylinder and not 4 valves, to keep torque available on low revs and to keep it high.

speedybenz
06-27-2004, 09:32 PM
What I did on my C280 was to route a 2nd 3" tube to the fog light location at the bumper. I installed a plastic brake duct to the bumper and routed the 3" tube upwards through the frame to the bottom ofthe stock airbox, where I cut a hole for the new tube.

That way I had the stock tube coming from the grill the 2nd tube coming from the bumper area.

This was the single best Hp mod I did for my V6, C280.

Jeff

ricerokets4life
06-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
What I did on my C280 was to route a 2nd 3" tube to the fog light location at the bumper. I installed a plastic brake duct to the bumper and routed the 3" tube upwards through the frame to the bottom ofthe stock airbox, where I cut a hole for the new tube.

That way I had the stock tube coming from the grill the 2nd tube coming from the bumper area.

This was the single best Hp mod I did for my V6, C280.

Jeff

did you have to expand the opening into the foglight area? if not, how did you fit a 3" pipe through that thing?

speedybenz
06-29-2004, 09:24 PM
http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/speedybenz-c43/DSC00923.sized.jpg

It is not a good pic but it does show the brake duct attached to the fog light location. On the backside of the duct it forms up to allow a 3" hose to slide over.

J Irwan
06-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Let me just clarify on this K&N filter thingy...

For most of us veteran from benzsport, and bnzsport who has been there... using K&N filters panel replacement known to cause
MAS premature failure.

Why..: because the brand new filter panel from K&N is heavily over-oiled. It's almost imposibble to handle the filter without having the smudge and oil get onto your hand...

my advise, take a paper towel or absorbent cloth to take off these excessive oil..before installing K&N filer panel replacement on your car. (Off course there are still no guarantee that it won't mess up the MAS later on).

The fact that the filter panel has excessive oil, sooner or later under acceleration the oil will get sucked in and stucked on the MAS sensor element..in which cause the MAS have incorrect reading..and become un-responsive.

As the result you would experience: un-responsive throttle, idle surge, limp-mode..

The principal applies on all aftermarket filter out-there. (95% of the aftermarket filter in the market utilize oil as the mechanism to trap dirt ;) )
However based our members' experiences that the K&N panel replacement filter is the one in particular tend to be over-oilled from the factory.

On another note: MAS is bound to fail sooner or later from normal usage. Based on the input I gathered they usually last vary from 45k-80k (mine in which started to act up @ around 67k). I had mine replaced since I don't want to settle with less than 100% working MAS :) ).

Now as far as the intake, do not put anykind of open intake under your engine compartment as it will only suck hot air.
hot air === less hp == less performance..

The reason I had my Cold air Intake (it is a real cold air intake !!! mind you), is the improve the throttle response. As the W202 (non V-8)Stock airbox has to many corner and have a long path..
But mine has short and straight through flow, the result is way better throttle response compare to Stock airbox (eventhough my car is C36 with the OEM stock airbox, the throttle response is not as good as I would expect on AMG car, especially because I have own BMW in the past. Throttle response on most if not all BMW are excellent by the way).

Here is a pic of my intake.

And before anyone start asking/emailing me, let me say that you will not find this setup of the shelf from any store.

I have these intake for 3 years with approximately 33k and have had no problem whatsoever with the intake. (I just have to take precaution on taking easy on the gas pedal when it is raining hard outside. It no biggie since I don't live on the rain-concentrated area anyway).

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQDZAvAZPE8AzidCKXj5ecuGeEanaeM!Y3cXtqh6xtfx3mo6r GN9F9IQBe3Il4bV*eI!vKdqzS5!8FYZr4PX*ipfxtsHrqaCbSl bVvdAsqieG3sIFcP9fidkJ40*vnuC/Intake_carbon_dir.jpg

Hope this help some confussion surrounding aftermarket filter replacement and MAS failure.

Regardz,

delisi2322
06-29-2004, 11:53 PM
j if you dont mind me asking where did you get that cold air intake from or where can i get the parts from so i can put it together it looks simple but finding the correct parts will make it alot easier thanks in advance

Ahmad
07-02-2004, 03:05 PM
also if you have enriched the air/fuel mixture and you ve got a high flow exhaust try to use one degree colder spark plugs, that will slow up the ingnition timing for an optimum burning of the mix, some bits like that makes big difference but you have to know first that the ignition timing you have is faster than it should, means that when the intake valves enters the mixture the spark plug is giving a spark before they close and that is a problem. that problem could occuer when you modificate the air fuel supply and the exhaust system and engine still uses the original spark plug ( the standard heat range selected by the manufacturer for the original standard mixture, before modification).

speedybenz
07-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Ahmad,

Your statement is not correct for many reasons. While I do not have the time at present to correct the wording. I will soon.

JEff

SLAMMED_C
07-09-2004, 06:53 PM
I have decided to design and build a custom intake for my Kompressor engine, since there is no "cold air kit" available for the Kompressor cars.
I do not expect any HP increase but just really want to do it for the noise of the intake!!
Im going to mount the K&N filter behind the front bumper and run 3" intake pipe from the filter to the engine compartment.. make a custom tube to mount the supercharger diverter valve onto.