PDA

View Full Version : DIY Wheel bearings?

mayagman
06-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi, I'm just about ready to turn in my 97 280 to the stealership here in omaha to fix up my front drivers side wheel bearing. Before I get undoubtedly raped for service and parts, is there absolutely no way I could do this myself? I have a full garage on base with all general auto tools, but im not sure if there are MBz specific parts that are needed to pull the bearing or install the new one. Any help would be appreciated. In addition, if anyone knows any good benz mechanics in the omaha area, that would be better than getting reamed.

Renn 208
06-15-2004, 05:46 PM
http://www.club202.com/forums/vbevolutionimg/top_search.gif it's a good thing...

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257&highlight=bearings

mayagman
06-16-2004, 08:31 AM
unfortunately, there is nothing on the procedure of bearing removal and replacement in that thread :/ or any others from what I can see.

714guy
06-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by mayagman
unfortunately, there is nothing on the procedure of bearing removal and replacement in that thread :/ or any others from what I can see.

Originally posted by speedybenz

To look at the wheel bearing, reomve the tire and use a flat blade screw driver to slowly pry betwwen the bearing shell and the hub.

You can work or use slight force to get the blade betwwen the hub and shell and then just continue to pry the bearing shell off. When you get it about 1/2 off you can grab the shell with some channel locks to remove it completely. Put a rag between the pliers and the shell to keep from marring the surface.

The bearing is held in placeby a collar that locks to the spindle with a 5mm allen bolt. Loosen the bolt then you can adjust the bearing or remove it.

To adjust it, turn the collar in with about 20 ft-lbs of torque, then back off the collar 1/8 of a turn. You want the disc brake rotor to still spin freely or with just a minor load.

Once you get that done, tighten the 5mm bolt and put the bearing shell back into place.

If you need new bearings you need to remove the race also, and unfortunately I have not checked into the procedure to remove the race.

Jeff

I dont think they replace the whole wheel bearing as MB dealers only sell the repair kit which is about only 25 bucks. I still haven't dont his yet buy it doesn't seem to hard. if you read the directions above.

mayagman
06-16-2004, 04:11 PM
well I didnt know about the kit, figgured id have to replace the whole shebang. I'll look into this, thanks for your help.