PDA

View Full Version : Weird story about my car dying on me...anyone have input?

Denlasoul
06-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Hello all-

note: I have an IR key with the slide out key on the side (has my house keys and mailbox on it)

Ok, yesterday I was turning into my complex and I pulled out my slide key at the same time. Suddenly, my car lost all power and pretty much died on me!!! I managed to strong arm my car safely without crashing into anything. I put my car back in park and slid the key back in. Started up again and everything was just fine.

Is it really necessary to have the little slide key engaged with the IR key when driving? Later on, I started my car with just the IR key and no problem. I pulled out of my garage but freaked out and slid my key back in to prevent something from possibly happening.

Anyone have any input? Maybe I'll experiment a little more this weekend. :confused:

DLS

MrSpace
06-18-2004, 08:32 AM
you don't need ot have it

I just ordered a new key and the parts guy told me my new key would be like the W203, this means smaller and the metallic part completly inside (you don't see on the side)

so the metal part is not needed for the car according to those informations from the dealer

Etienne

jnolte
06-18-2004, 08:58 AM
ONe time when i was turning a corner into a parking lot in my c43 it shut off too, so i put it in park and restarted it, never happened again. But this can be potentially dangerous if you were going fast around a corner and the car died on you.

Kswiss
06-18-2004, 10:56 AM
I have a 99 key and I take out the sliding key all the time while driving...nothing happened ever...one time i tried to put it back while driving at about 75 on the freeway and while i tried to put it back in the key, i accidently put the key in the #2 position and my car started trippin out for like 3 seconds and i put the key back in #3 position and it drove off fine......scary moment there but nothing drastic happened....you might want to tell your dealer about this because i m sure the slide out key is useless while driving....

Mr. Space....how much did you end up paying for the new key?

Denlasoul
06-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Hmmm....sounds like the key isnt too functional for the ignition and all that.

I wonder what is the cause of my car shutting down? Ahhh...the joy of weekend experiments. :)

adelaros
06-18-2004, 11:22 AM
The same thing happend to once...so I never did it again...

98_Benzo
06-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Did you check your battery connections?? It sounds like it could be a loose wire some where. Even if it's not a battery wire, it could be a wire somewhere in the car that is faulty (i.e. starter wire, alternator wire).

MrSpace
06-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Kswiss
Mr. Space....how much did you end up paying for the new key?

278$ CAD with taxes

In fact it's two diffferenc parts, the plastic key and the metallic key that goes into it.

Etienne

Denlasoul
06-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
Did you check your battery connections?? It sounds like it could be a loose wire some where. Even if it's not a battery wire, it could be a wire somewhere in the car that is faulty (i.e. starter wire, alternator wire).

I'll check those over tonight. I drove my car a little bit later last night and it was just fine. Today is just fine too. Who knows?!?!?!?!?

Jbizzyc43
06-19-2004, 09:51 AM
hey guys, the metal key that slides out does not affect the IR key in any way! It's there to lock the glovebox or to open the car if the battery to the keyless entry dies...thats all! I don't even use the metal slide key when i drive, it's always pulled out an dleft in the armrest.