PDA

View Full Version : How many motor mounts?

LV202
06-24-2004, 04:13 PM
How many motor mounts on a 1994 c280?

Thanks

SLAMMED_C
06-24-2004, 06:23 PM
There are 2 motor mounts.. one on the left and one on the right side of the engine.

LV202
06-24-2004, 11:23 PM
That's all I saw looking under the car today, but wondered if there was another hidden away somewhere.

Have you ever changed your mounts? I think mine are starting to go out, but I'm not for sure.

Rocky
06-25-2004, 05:42 AM
2 motor mounts 1 tranny mount

714guy
06-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by LV202
That's all I saw looking under the car today, but wondered if there was another hidden away somewhere.

Have you ever changed your mounts? I think mine are starting to go out, but I'm not for sure.

yep like everybody else said there're 2 motor mounts and 1 tranny mount, i changed mine about ayear ago and it was pretty easy just do them one at a time. Just see if there cracked if they are change em.

LV202
06-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
yep like everybody else said there're 2 motor mounts and 1 tranny mount, i changed mine about ayear ago and it was pretty easy just do them one at a time. Just see if there cracked if they are change em.

If you don't mind, can you tell me the steps to replacing them? Did you just jack the engine up a tad and slide them in?Or is it a little more involved? Thanks.

714guy
06-25-2004, 05:44 PM
If you don't mind, can you tell me the steps to replacing them? Did you just jack the engine up a tad and slide them in?Or is it a little more involved? Thanks.

yeah put your car on jacks then get a jack and a piece of wood( the size of the bottom of the engine) put it on the jack slowly jack up the engine. the wood is to evenly distribute the wieght of the motor. then crawl under, get 17 mm wrenches and remove one side then the other. the trickiest part is realigning the mount
and motor back up, sometimes you luck out and its prefect.

I know when i did mine one side took 10 minutes the other side took and hour.

The tranny is easy just crawl under the tranny remove the cover then which the mount attached to and replace and your dont. Caution make sure you have th right tranny mount, some w202 used mounts from the w140 so make sure you have the right one.

took about 2 hours with basic tools and the right parts.

good luck :)

LV202
06-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
yeah put your car on jacks then get a jack and a piece of wood( the size of the bottom of the engine) put it on the jack slowly jack up the engine. the wood is to evenly distribute the wieght of the motor. then crawl under, get 17 mm wrenches and remove one side then the other. the trickiest part is realigning the mount
and motor back up, sometimes you luck out and its prefect.

I know when i did mine one side took 10 minutes the other side took and hour.

The tranny is easy just crawl under the tranny remove the cover then which the mount attached to and replace and your dont. Caution make sure you have th right tranny mount, some w202 used mounts from the w140 so make sure you have the right one.

took about 2 hours with basic tools and the right parts.

good luck :)

Cool thanks man. If you don't mind me asking, how to you get the heat shields off of them? I just peaked around (while I was under inspecting my flex discs) at them and saw what I thought was a heat shield. Or is it all one assembly, just unbolt from the bottom?

Did you put the wood under the oil pan?

How did you know when the tranmission needs a new mount?

And what is your method for testing the motor mounts?

Thanks, this is a great help.

714guy
06-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Cool thanks man. If you don't mind me asking, how to you get the heat shields off of them? I just peaked around (while I was under inspecting my flex discs) at them and saw what I thought was a heat shield. Or is it all one assembly, just unbolt from the bottom? i don't remeber as its has been a while since i've been under there, but that cover is actually what the mount is held on too. i think there is 4 bolts that hold the cover plate to the chasis and then 2 bolts in the center that hole the mount, i am not sure but its should be fairly easy.

Did you put the wood under the oil pan? i dont remember but just put it under the engine inbetween the two motor mounts. i would looka and tell ya but my car in covered right now.

How did you know when the tranmission needs a new mount?
i look at it, if it looks bad then change it its only 40 bucks.

And what is your method for testing the motor mounts?
visual inspection if they look bad or are cracked after installing them remember to torque evething back.
Thanks, this is a great help.

LV202
06-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks again, great info.

GDawgC220
06-26-2004, 09:53 PM
is there any damage to the car if the motor & tranny mounts are not replaced?

Mine are worn out, so vibrations are slightly noticible in the cabin while idling, especially when the A/C is on.

I was quoted $350 for the motor mounts (parts & labor) and $150 for the tranny mount (part and labor).

714guy
06-27-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by GDawgC220
is there any damage to the car if the motor & tranny mounts are not replaced?

Mine are worn out, so vibrations are slightly noticible in the cabin while idling, especially when the A/C is on.

I was quoted $350 for the motor mounts (parts & labor) and $150 for the tranny mount (part and labor).

i would think that the motor could possible slip off the chasis if they were really bad.

If your handy your can easily do this job in a day. the two motor mounts cost about 60 bucks each and the tranny mount is 40 bucks. This is definately a DIYers job.

sig425
09-09-2005, 03:08 PM
is there a torque spec for the motor mount? Doin it this weekend

714guy
09-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by sig425
is there a torque spec for the motor mount? Doin it this weekend

check the bolts they usally have a spec on it.