PDA

View Full Version : C36 AMG staight pipes

dporsche74
06-26-2004, 11:51 AM
HI

I was wondering if anyone has taken the 3 cats off their C36 AMG
I see them under the car and they look so heavy and so huge, the cats seems to be choking the engine, i have the cold air intake on and it runs alot better , im guessing like the 16v the C36 will rev/run alot better if i can put the straight pipes from the manifold to the AMG rear muffler, plus i notice alot of heat getting into the car from the cup holder area, anyone else notiice this?

thanks

CKlasse
06-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Take out the center cats... you'd be surprised! :)

J Irwan
06-26-2004, 02:17 PM
There should be only 2 cats in C36's...

The bigger one is the resonator :)

Regardz,

M104-AMG
06-28-2004, 07:57 PM
So has anyone removed the dual-cats ? If so, how was the performance ?

Also, with OBDII on the C36, does the CHECK ENGINE light now come on ?

:-) neil
1988 E36T AMG
1993 500E

aroppi
07-14-2004, 05:11 AM
my C280 with M104 engine is running with no "cat" and no original resonator, just a pair of straight pipes from the exhaust manifold to a "fake cat" which is, in fact a resonator, then the back box. i can say that it's really sweet to do this and the engine is much much more willing to rev up!!!! it's a custom exhaust system from the exhaust manifold to the back box. before i was using Sebring exhaust and well... not bad indeed.

MBDragracer
08-08-2004, 12:25 PM
I would suggest focusing your performance efforts elsewhere, unless, of course, you are going to dedicate your AMG to racing exclusively. AMG finely tuned the exhaust on both the C36 and C43s, inlcuding calibrations for back pressure provided by the entire system. Throwing off the back pressure may actually hurt performance.

Dynos don't lie. Every tech I have talked to has advised not fooling with the AMG exhaust because the results simply don't present themselves. AMG did a great job. Leave it alone. ---is what I have been told. Unless you do significant headwork, etc.

CKlasse
08-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I cannot speak for the C36, since I haven't been able to gain significantly on the exhaust mod. However, C43 custom exhaust can yield mid 20s Rwhp. :)

The E55, CLK55, SL55, and E500s also gain significantly. Backpressure on any engine is tuned by the front cats. From there on, there should be ZERO backpressure to achieve optimal HP.

I6 engine on the C36s is a whole different story though. Out of 4 C36s, I have done, none have gain over 7 rwhp. One even lost some power. Perhaps AMG stock exhaust is the best option on these straight sixes.

Here is a pict. of a C43 system just before being shipped to C43Carl

http://www.budsmuffler.com/ebay/c43stg3.jpg