PDA

View Full Version : What the .....??

MBDragracer
06-30-2004, 05:06 AM
Alright, I try to do something nice nice for the ole 95 C36 and now my Check Engine light is on and the damn car runs like crap. Reset the computer last night and drove it into work this morning - began to bog again but no Check Engine Light...yet.

What the .....?

I replaced the plugs about a week ago with Denso Iridiums. Everything seemed to be fine. Car idled like a dream and performed well at the top end for a few days. Then while cheating death on the way home from work (as usual) the engine starts hesitating and bogging. Then I look down and the damn check engine light is on. I guess the engine went into "limp mode". Is that correct?

What do you all think it is? When I replaced my plugs I obviously had to take off the crossover air intake with the attached MAS...could it possibly be my MAS? It's never acted up before. I also did a complete inspection of all wires and they appeared to be in great shape, except for the wire that goes to the MAS, it was disintegrating and had a white cakey substance between the wires - is this what you guys refer to when talking about a wire harness replacement?

Thoughts please?

Thanks!
-Drags

P.S. Car has 105k miles but has been meticulously maintained.

Rocky
06-30-2004, 07:08 AM
It's the engine wiring harness.

Joeyc220
06-30-2004, 02:09 PM
i had the same problem in my c220, its the engine wiring harness that goes to my mass air meter...... the wires are 2 thin, there should be a recall!

Metromoto202
06-30-2004, 02:09 PM
i agree with the harness idea, but what were the codes through the ME... were there any cylinders down? could there be some carbon blown off by the new plugs? just a thought

Eurosport
06-30-2004, 02:11 PM
might wanna check Oxygen sensors b4 you do anything else

Rocky
06-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Metromoto202
i agree with the harness idea, but what were the codes through the ME... were there any cylinders down? could there be some carbon blown off by the new plugs? just a thought

A bad engine wiring harness will throw off so many different codes event though the part is working perfectly fine.

MBDragracer
06-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Metro - what is carbon blow off? How would it happen and what are the consequences - O2 sensors affected? With a special detail attachment, I vacuumed out each spark plug hole due to the crap left in their from the old plugs. Was that a good thing or could that have caused something? I sucked everything out of their really well both before taking the old plug out and before putting the new plug in.

Everyone:
I did a closer inspection of the wires leading to the MAF. It appears that the most exterior (black) insulation has cracked off in places and the white insulation material is non-existent in most of the wire or slowly caking off. I also inspected the indivudal small wires close to the MAF (green, red, etc.) and each one has tiny cracks in their insulation.

Could taking the damn intake off and putting it to the side to do the plug change be the straw that broke the camel's back here?

Is there any way I could only replace the MAF wire? Ever other wire coming from that harness is in perfect shape as far as I can tell.

If the problem is my entire wiring harness, where can I get one and how much is it? A search doesn't really revel $$ paid just that it is expensive. I'm certainly a DIYer when it comes to cars, but is this something a shop is better off doing?

For those of you who had a shop do it, what was your total cost?

This sucks! A recall is definitely in order.

Denlasoul
06-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Drags-

Here you go! :) (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=987&highlight=wiring)

DLS

MBDragracer
07-01-2004, 06:11 AM
Thanks, Den! Sure would be nice to be able to look at the pics in that thread. Oh well...

Denlasoul
07-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by MBDragracer
Thanks, Den! Sure would be nice to be able to look at the pics in that thread. Oh well...

Bummer. I was not aware the pics arent posted anymore. Maybe contact Eurosport, he might still have the pics

Metromoto202
07-01-2004, 02:27 PM
when i say carbon blow off i mean anything that might have flaked off the valves etc... due to the higher heat range threshold. or stuck in your EGR system? But i agree with the harness possiblity i've replaced and seen alot of those not to mention any damage you might have done to the MAF, it can cause any number of symptoms.

slowpoke
07-01-2004, 11:48 PM
since you said that the wires to MAS have their insulation cracking... it could be that they are shorting when they touch thus making your engine run rough...

you may want to check the other wires in your engine bay... if they are in the same condition as the ones leading to your MAS, you will have to replace the harness... it cost me about $ 670 (based on current exchange rates, I am in the Philippines) plus another $100 for the labor....

i would advise you keep the old harness because you may be able to salvage the plugs and sockets...

MBDragracer
07-05-2004, 07:47 AM
I've carefully inspected all the other engine wires. The only one that is showing ANY signs of disrepair is the MAF wire. No other wire in the engine bay even looks somewhat worn! Should I just accept the fact that I've got to change every wire in the engine bay for @$700 plus labor because one damn wire MAY be bad?

The love-hate relationship lives on. A nice Chevelle sounds pretty good right about now.:angry: Did I really just say that?!:shock:

Thanks for your input guys!

J Irwan
07-05-2004, 08:18 AM
I've carefully inspected all the other engine wires. The only one that is showing ANY signs of disrepair is the MAF wire. No other wire in the engine bay even looks somewhat worn! Should I just accept the fact that I've got to change every wire in the engine bay for @$700 plus labor because one damn wire MAY be bad?

The love-hate relationship lives on. A nice Chevelle sounds pretty good right about now.:angry: Did I really just say that?!:shock:

Thanks for your input guys!

oucch..
most likely that could be the culprit. Symton-wise a faulty wiring harness for the MAS === faulty MAS..

And to tell you the truth, there is no point just replacing the wiring for the MAS only. (not that you could by an individual wiring). Sooner or later the wiring harness bound to dissintegrated in which will cause a lot more headache to troubleshoot more problems.

Since you have the 95 C36 in which notorious to be found with wiring harness failure, I'd just replace the whole harness so that you could have a piece of mind, and that next time you have a fault code appear, you could definitely rule-out the wiring.

In short it'd make your experience as a C36 owner more enjoyable and pleasureable.

Just my $0.02 ;)

Regardz,

J Irwan
07-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Also,

Here is another a good info on replacing wire harness DIY for M104 engine..

Replacing Wiring Harness on E320 (W124) (http://www.mercedesshop.com/wire_harness/1994_e320_harness.htm)

Eurosport's also wrote a good write-up as well. However if you would like to see how the Eurosport's version coming along, you could contact Nokia (Joey) since he has copies of Eurosport images..

Regardz,

MBDragracer
07-06-2004, 03:36 AM
Thanks for your help, J. You kick ass! That link is super helpful!!

Hey, I noticed that guy (from your mercedesshop link) also replaced his throttle actuator. Should I pursue this as well? Is the throttle actuator a common problem in the M104 like it appears to be in the M124?

Thanks guys!

drags

J Irwan
07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your help, J. You kick ass! That link is super helpful!!

Hey, I noticed that guy (from your mercedesshop link) also replaced his throttle actuator. Should I pursue this as well? Is the throttle actuator a common problem in the M104 like it appears to be in the M124?

Thanks guys!

drags

If I were you I'd go ahead and get the wiring harness first.

The reason is that the cost of the throttle actuator itself pretty expensive.

If you have replace the harness and still having issue with the car,, idel, limp mode, throttle issue, then the actuator could be next.

Regards,

MBDragracer
07-12-2004, 05:17 AM
Just talked to the dealer. So many whacky codes were thrown that the shop foreman believes it HAS to be the wiring harness.

Here is a breakdown of costs, since I've never actually seen a post with $$ for a wiring harness replacement, only a simple statement that they are really expensive:

1995 C36 AMG - Part number - WA 202 540 03 32

Part lists for $1,360. This part has a WA prefix, meaning it is manufactured by HWA (an AMG specific part). Can you believe I can get a C280 harness for only $565....damn AMG parts!!

Dealer wants $1,600 parts and labor.

Phil at Mercedesshop wants $1,189.

Rusty Cullens at www.buymbparts.com wants $1,089.

Can anyone provide any other part sources that may have the harness for cheaper?????

Thanks!

-drags

slowpoke
07-12-2004, 05:38 PM
you could surf over to www.silverstarrecycling.com and see if they have a harness from a wrecked 202

Eurosport
07-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Tom
at Caliber Motors
can get it cheaper i believe around 870ish? shipped
double check with him

MBDragracer
07-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Tom Hanson came through. Great guy! Don't think anyone can get an amg-specific harness for $870ish (HWA part) but he did considerably better than anyone else could (or, would) and was very personable and grateful for the extra business. From now on, my parts searches start in Anaheim.

Should have the harness in about a week. Thank God! This car is doing so many whacky things, I wouldn't be surprised if I had to drive it home in reverse with the hazards on and the ski sac open. Mercedes really blew it on these and the M124 harnesses. Shame on them for refusing to recall this part!

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll keep y'all posted on whether replacing the wiring harness remedies my A/C and radiator fan issues. Got the ole fingers crossed.

Denlasoul
07-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Drags-

Thought you already knew about Tom:Click me (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1436)

MBDragracer
07-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Den-

You're right, I've known about Tom for a while (thanks to you and then Club 202). I was just torn between using someone new and continuing to support the local parts contingent here in my home town. After going to events and stuff together ya kinda feel like you should use them, ya know? Anyway...

Needless to say, the guys around here couldn't touch Tom on price or SERVICE, the wiring harness is just too expensive and I'm just not in a position to be a charity right now (or in the near future, thanks to the harness crappin' the bed).

Nokia-

Did you get my e-mail about Eurosport's wiring harness write up? Do you still have access to his pictures? They would be really really helpful for my install. If I could get copies, I would be very grateful!:D

Denlasoul
07-14-2004, 10:33 AM
I was just torn between using someone new and continuing to support the local parts contingent here in my home town. After going to events and stuff together ya kinda feel like you should use them, ya know?

I hear ya. I used to do the same till they pissed me off. Tom is the man to use, as well as MBenzNL and ebay! ;)

slam96c36
08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
well I just experienced the same problem today with the engine light on and the car acting up..can someone send me some pics...

MBDragracer did Nokia ever send you those pics? look like am going to need that to replace my.

thanks for all the info guy..this realy help me out

Rocket
08-18-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm totally lucky MB replaces the engine harness on my 1995 C36 under warrenty in 11/2000. Hopefully it lasts a while. The AMG harness is very rare and hard to find. I think there are only a few in the US right now.

Three Point 6
08-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Dragracer,

My '96 did the same thing and all it was were the $45 resistor ends that go on top og the plugs. That is what regulates the whole secondary ignition systems ohm load. They are N o t o r i o u s for going bad. Alot of shops change them every time plugs are done to keep a comeback situation from happening. It fixed my erratic driveability problem. Try that instead of fearing a possible, useless $1,400 harness fix. The first dealer that 'worked' on my car threw a new MAF at if and raped me for $600.00. It Didnt even fix it and they didnt refund me. F-EM. I went to an indie shop & he knew right away it was the tips. Dealers are cool, just get the right mechanic