PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Question

l_anasco
07-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Howdy,

I have a 1997 C230 with an aftermarket deck.
I am not sure if I have Bose or not.
My car has:
2 front tweeters
2 front door
2 rear door
2 rear deck + 1 midbass.

Some facts:
I called the dealership and gave them my VIN, and they said I didn't have the Bose package.
I took a speaker out, and it has a part number on it.
One of the rear speakers read 4 ohms.
I removed trunk liner to replace antenna, and couldn't locate amp.

So I assumed no Bose, no probelms. I bought some Infinity's and replaced one of the front doors. I adjusted the fader accordinly (front only, Left side/right side), and the Infinity sounded like junk.
I checked the speaker wires, and no problems.

What could be the problem? Bad speakers? Bose?

Thanks, Les

J Irwan
07-02-2004, 06:27 AM
Are you using stock Amp..?

if so that's most likely the problem.

Most of the time the stock/OEM has a small output rating.

The OEM may sound ok because the speaker rating also made to match the stock/OE amplifier output.

Now when you switched to Infinity, most aftermarket speaker offer higher speaker rating (higher wattage handling).

And now what happen is that the stock/OE amp is to weak to feed the minimum nominal wattage requires for the Inifinity.

If you deck has built in amp (look for the rating. something like 25x4/35x4 on the deck's face) if so you could connect it directly to the infinity, and it will sound better than connecting infinity to stock/OEM amp.

Hope this helps.

Regardz,

l_anasco
07-02-2004, 06:53 AM
They didn't bypass the amp, so I guess I'm using it.
I suspected this, but I have read something about adding resistors. Any truth behind it?

Another question:
If I run the speakers off the deck, will it sound better with the new speakers vs. factory speakers w/ factory amp.
Also, I have 7 speakers (9 including tweets) how could this all be wired to use deck power?

Thanks again,
Les

pnsji
07-02-2004, 09:23 AM
I rather buy a line output converter between the head unit and the amp. This will solve the problem without doing any re-wiring.