PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problem

SpEeDy230
07-02-2004, 03:22 PM
im having really bad day. First I get a flat tire. Second driving to costco to fix it, my tranny would not shift to 5th gear. It would just stay high up in the rpm's. Im goin about 55mph and it is at 4-5 grand. I dont know whats goin on. My dad thinks since we had bought this car through a dealer auction, and that the person who owned it before me has probably never had it changed before because we suspect she was an elderly lady,that the tranny fluid is due or not even been changed at all. Keep in mind that my car is a 1998 c230 with electronic tranny. I already bought tranny fluid in the dealership for 8 bucks a quart. I need to change it and my car has 77,000 miles on it. Need help please!!!! Anybody that knows whats going on post away!!!

Andrew C280
07-02-2004, 05:34 PM
could be a valve body going, or jamed with bad fluid or junk.

SpEeDy230
07-02-2004, 06:07 PM
might be but when I drove it again and drove it normally it shifted to 5th but if I get on the gas it doesn't

fastmayte
07-02-2004, 07:25 PM
adaptive tranny? and bad fluid could be the cuase of it. now if it just stop shifting to 5'th, then u got big probs.

mayagman
07-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Could be the actuation of the shifter itself. If the shifter thinks its in the 4th position (IE Bad sensor), then it won't go above that gear. This would explain any randomness in it... if you move the gear lever back and forth a few times and it still does it, at least you can rule that out. I recall a time I had the car in drive, shifted to reverse, but it never got the message and I moved forward when I stepped on the gas!

SpEeDy230
07-04-2004, 09:22 AM
I belive I had solved the problem. I changed the fluid and the filter and it seems to be shifting right now. The fluid looked terrible and brown. the filter was bad too.