PDA

View Full Version : Wierd wiper problem

mayagman
07-04-2004, 08:17 PM
This is a strange one... The other day I was just driving calmly... and the wiper magically comes on... It goes a few times.. then stops. Now it just randomly decides to come on and off from time to time.. no specific reason that I can tell. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

audiophile
07-04-2004, 09:50 PM
replace the fuse, even though it might look good. the fuse for the wiper and the stalk controls.

SLAMMED_C
07-05-2004, 06:44 PM
does your car have rain sensor wiper at all?

mayagman
07-06-2004, 02:03 PM
I do not believe the sport models came with one.. but if it does have one, it doesnt work. This happens at random, not raining or anything, and it has never come on during rainy weather... Hopefully not a sign of wiring going bad..

ittim
07-12-2004, 05:41 AM
I’m having exactly the same problem so please let us know if you find out the cause. I’ll see if replacing the fuses on mine helps and will report back the findings.

Tim

SLAMMED_C
07-13-2004, 07:12 PM
I dont think its gonna be the fuse.. maybe a relay.

mayagman
07-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Okay, just a follow-up. I finally got frustrated and decided to analyze this. The result of my problem was a faulty sensor within the wiper stalk, which I later snapped off in frustration. In the 'OFF' position it would sometimes think it was in the 'LOW' position for whatever reason. I assume the remedy will mean replacing the stalk, which Im sure costs a bundle. Hope this helps.

ittim
07-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Can you explain how you deduced this sensor to be at fault and any noticeable side effects of removing it? Also, can you describe how the sensor looks like and where precisely to find it on the stalk?

For me, changing the fuses didn’t work. Over the weekend, I removed the combination relay in order to check its condition. Without knowing how to diagnose a faulty relay, I ended up just cleaning the contacts. This seems to have had a positive effect on the problem. The wipers turn on by themselves less frequently now; maybe once every hour. This is still frustrating but I can live with this because it doesn’t happen as often. I suspect that the relay is at fault but there’s no way for me to confirm this without buying a new one and swapping it out.

OzC36
01-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Ahhh! An old thread, but this problem has just started on my car.

Has anyone got a positive ID on the culprit yet for the magical non-commanded wiper sweep?

Proven Guilty
01-19-2007, 09:09 AM
my guess would be that it could be the combo switch, or a failing voltage regulator

OzC36
01-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Thanks for your response.

I checked the voltage regulator and it is running at 13.8 volts which is within the serviceable range.

The combo switch seems to work normally in response to selections that are made. No obvious problems can be identified with the various selections.

The "combination" relay I haven't identified yet, but will do some investigation as time permits.