PDA

View Full Version : a quick "check engine light" question

benzdude
07-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Is the check engine light supposed to illuminate (with all the other cluster indicator lights) when you first turn the key in the ignition?

My cel was lit due to an engine problem, I took it to the dealer, they pulled the codes and reset the cel.

Now when I turn the key it doesnt light up with the other in the cluster lights. The bulb is good and I cant remember if it illuminated in the first place.

if you have a 1995 c280, can you start you car and see if the CEL come on (for a few seconds) with the rest of the indicators?

please let me know. thanks

Metromoto202
07-07-2004, 06:57 PM
it should come on when you, turn the ignition towards #2 postion... or start the car. like a quick bulb check

benzdude
07-07-2004, 07:47 PM
thats strange I just took the cluster out and replaced it with a new bulb and it still work wont.

can the CEL be disabled? and why would the dealer/tech do such a thing?

GDawgC220
07-08-2004, 04:26 AM
if the bulb is good, possibly may be the wiring that contacts the CEL to illuminate?

benzdude
07-08-2004, 05:15 PM
problem solved. I unpluged the car battery for a minute and the CEL now lights up with the rest of the dash lights.

GuelphC230
12-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by benzdude
problem solved. I unpluged the car battery for a minute and the CEL now lights up with the rest of the dash lights.
funny how that works after the dealers get their hands on it..I can't believe they didn't do that for you..