PDA

View Full Version : ball joints

GDawgC220
07-12-2004, 11:24 AM
what would happen if you didn't replace the ball joints? Is there any danger driving with worn ball joints? also, do they make any noise (like squeeking) when going over speed bumps (where both front tires are up and down at the same time)?

thanks

detroit202
07-12-2004, 12:01 PM
ever see a car broken down with its front wheels rotated 90 degrees where the front of the hubcap or rim is now facing the bumper.

thats what will happen

and im sure you dont want happening at 70 miles per hour ya know

i dont know if its possible but i can picture the car flipping if you were going fast enough but maybe its just from watching too many movies.

GDawgC220
07-12-2004, 12:03 PM
hmm...I haven't heard of that happening with ball joints.

what I got from various techs (MB) was that the steering may be sloppy and making squeeking noises over some bumps...

Andrew C280
07-12-2004, 12:25 PM
yes the ball joints will fail after awhile of squeeking, how long and to what degree they fail is another story, they might get sloppy or shear right off my mechanic show me tones of mercedes ball joints that where on the edge of breaking and a few that where broken, its a pretty cheap job to do the ball joints cost about $50 each and 0.6 hours to install them i cost me right around $250 with tax and I feel much safer driving at high speeds

its up to you 250 or take the chance of totaling your car as you side into a concrete guard rail

GDawgC220
07-12-2004, 12:26 PM
i was quoted about $300 to do the front ball joints...i'm saving up some cash to do it, just started a new job :)

I will most likely do it with the next oil change, which is soon.

fastmayte
07-12-2004, 07:56 PM
ball joints should be a easy DIY job.

SLAMMED_C
07-13-2004, 07:27 PM
its kinda dangerous to drive with ball joints that have lots of play.. they may go at any time, the most common sound is squeaking from the front end.. possibly clunking noise over bumps.
the most that would happen is the ball joint would break and the wheel would just go up and hit the fender.. possibly damaging the fender. not gonna be driveable like that!
Id recommend getting them replaced or one replaced depending on which one or if both are noisey.

GDawgC220
07-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
its kinda dangerous to drive with ball joints that have lots of play.. they may go at any time, the most common sound is squeaking from the front end.. possibly clunking noise over bumps.
the most that would happen is the ball joint would break and the wheel would just go up and hit the fender.. possibly damaging the fender. not gonna be driveable like that!
Id recommend getting them replaced or one replaced depending on which one or if both are noisey.

they squeek when going over speed bumps, parking garage (like when your going up the incline then it straighten's out), anything where it dips down and back up. definitely squeeking from the front end.

i'm dropping off my car tonight after work and they're doing the ball joints tomorrow, in addition to an oil change and rotate/balance :)

jlomon
07-21-2004, 05:23 PM
I've seen ball joints shear, resulting in the front end collapsing. I've never seen it happen to a car on the highway. It usually happens when you are either coming to a stop or accelerating hard from a dead stop. The sudden change in load on the ball joint causes it to break.

GDawgC220
07-21-2004, 05:30 PM
no worries now, front lower ball joints replaced :)

but now the CEL is killing me :( i just posted a new thread on it...spent $450 last week on all that stuff, wonder what it is now :rolleyes: