PDA

View Full Version : oil leaks

detroit202
07-13-2004, 10:15 AM
I have a 98 c230 with an oil leak that ive been putting off. A year ago when I noticed it I took a look with my mechanic while it was up on the lift and tightened loose bolts around the oil pan I hoped that would stop it. But a year later the leak is worse I don’t seem to be losing a lot of oil but almost every three days I leave a palm sized oil leak on the street. Im assuming along with my mechanic that it’s the oil pan seal he says that it dosent have a gasket but a seal.

The thing is we cant see exactly where the leak is coming from other than the top of the engine is clean so its not a head gasket.

He says its going to cost about $700 because of labor on this year you cannot unbolt the frame to remove the pan you have to lift the engine.

Does this sound like a good price. Hes a pretty honest guy he could have told me a year ago I need to fix it now but he dident hes just letting me know its getting worse and I see it for myself too.

What do you guys think I plan on kepping the car as I hit 97,000 miles and still owe bout 9,000 on it.

kameraguy
07-13-2004, 10:50 AM
I've had/have my share of oil leaks and I know others have too. It's just one of those things that happen to a 202.

Unfortunately it does cost a pretty penny to fix.

When I had my last oil leak, my mechanic cleaned my gasket area and added this UV dye in my oil. That way he was able to check it later with a UV light. That helped pinpoint the exact area.

See if your mechanic can do similar. That way you can get a more accurate estimate for the repair.

detroit202
07-13-2004, 11:55 AM
thanks for the suggestion thats what ill do im supposed to take it in monday for a look then i was gonna tell him to sched the repiar for thurs but ill get an oil change monday and tell him to add the dye. then we'll take another look next oil change.

pnsji
07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Actually, depending on your leak. If you notice the leak every 3 days, you might put the flourescene dye today and then bring into the mechanic tomorrow. Use black light and you can see exactly where the leak from. If you wait for the next oil change, the dye will be gone.

SLAMMED_C
07-13-2004, 07:20 PM
that seems kinda pricey to reseal an oil pan. I mean he will have to lift up the motor a bit to be able to slip the oil pan in and out easier.. but that just seems like a lot of money to me to reseal a pan.

detroit202
07-14-2004, 05:51 AM
can i just get the dye from auto zone?

thanks

and thanks slammed hopefully this guy is gonna be honest

98_Benzo
07-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Where does the puddle of oil occur at? Is it right under your oil pan or is it towards the back of the pan or the front of the pan? Have your mechanic also look into your rear main seal....Also another thing you might want to do...clean all your oil pressure hoses. Remove any hose on your engine that has to due with your oil pressure. You might also try replacing some hoses. The thing with oil pressure hoses, if they start getting clogged and you don't do anything about them....they will start forcing oil out of the weakest seal on the car. The weakest seal on the car is your rear main seal...it's not to uncommon for that to leak. That is just some food for thought!! Good luck.

mayagman
07-14-2004, 03:11 PM
do you need to pull the motor on a '97? I don't think I could handle that, it looked like the only thing in the way was the sway bar that goes across the front suspension components and under the pan. I am looking at a full oilpan replacement due to a puncture.

pnsji
07-14-2004, 03:20 PM
By using flourescense dye, you could easily figure out where the oil is leaking from by using black light. Once you figure out the where the leak is from, there are common problems:
- from the back of the engine -> Head gasket
- from the side of the engine -> Head Gasket or Valve cover gasket
- from the front of the engine -> Front timing gasket/seals

To see the leak on the head gasket, you cannot just see from the top of the engine. You could see valve cover gasket leaking from the top of the engine.